FridaySaturdaySundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursday
B'Day - Veridian Star
League NewsFeed Icon

No News Is Currently Available

Poll Widget
No poll is currently assigned to this widget.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cara Lace
Cara Lace
Diva

re: Cara Part 18: Carastar the Legendary Outlaw Part IV

Carastar the Legendary Outlaw: Part IV

Staring…
Carastar
Professor Styger
Comanderette America / Maggie Doyle
Colonel John Doyle
Iron Beauty / Jenny Styger
Fraulein Uhrmacher
The Clockwork Angel

May 12, 1942
Somewhere on a tiny island off the coast of Norway

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK…

Carastar and Deeps both pause at the sudden sound and stare at each other in wonder until the sound repeats…. KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK.

“Are you expecting company?” Carastar asks her little floating friend.

“Deeps…” He responds softly.

“Me neither.” The Captain says as she moves down the stairs from the bridge and heads for the crew area. As she and Deeps emerge from the Timecutter’s bar and into the main airlock they hear the sound again only much louder… KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK.

“Oi! Just a minute!” Carastar says pulling one of her blaster pistols from its holster on her back. She takes position on the far side of the door and motions Deeps to standby the hatch release. With a nod, Deeps opens the hatch and almost immediately a tall and stocky blonde woman steps inside carrying what appears to be a bronze statue of an angel. The stranger lays the heavy metal figure down on the deck with ease and stands before Carastar in a natural and almost noble pose. Her uniform is red, white and blue and a matching shiny, round shield with a bright white star at its center rests on her right forearm.

“What?!” Carastar starts.

Before the stranger can answer, three enemy soldiers rush up the gangplank. One fires their machine gun at the woman who deflects the bullets with her shield. They ricochet back and strike one of the other two soldiers down. Then, in a single fluid motion, the star spangled woman hurls her shield at them, striking the first head on with enough force to send him flying back down the gangplank and then with perfect precision, bouncing it into the second one and dropping him to the deck. The shield then returns to the woman’s arm as she delivers a single, solid kick to the downed soldier as he tries to stagger to his feet and literally launches him out of the hatch and into the cold night air.

“What?!” Carastar repeats as Deeps shuts the hatch with a loud clang.

The woman turns to Carastar and removes her combat helmet. Her wavy blonde hair falls to her shoulders and she looks at the outlaw Captain with a grim seriousness…

“Ok kid, It gets complicated from here.”

“DEEPS?!” the little drone chirps.

“Please Deeps, I’ll ask the questions if you don’t mind.” Carastar says before turning again to her new guest. “Now then …what?!”

“It’s me, Maggie Doyle… Comanderette America?” Maggie says pulling a futuristic pistol from a clip on her belt. “You sent me here and gave me this.”

“No I didn’t.” Carastar responds pulling her second matching pistol from its holster. She holds both of the weapons up to prove her point.

“You did. Here see for yourself.” Maggie says holding her pistol out in front of her.

Carastar steps forward and reaches out with the pistol in her right hand. She touches its barrel to the one the Comanderette holds and is not surprised when there is no reaction. She then reaches out with the pistol in her left hand and taps the barrel with Maggie’s gun and there is a loud pop and bright flash of energy. Surprised at first and then pleased, Carastar holsters her guns and smiles at Maggie.

“Hmmmmm...” She says with almost childlike curiosity. “Temporal energy discordance.”

“I’m… sorry?” The Comanderette asks puzzled.

“It’s like a feedback loop.” Carastar tries to explain. “Same pistol at different points in its own time stream and that means it was ‘me’ who gave it to you. Wow, me from the future!”

“DEEPS.” Carastar’s little hovering robot companion chirps.

“I know, right?” Carastar says proudly. “I’ve got a future! That’s nice to know. I didn’t get fat did I?”

“Look, I know this is confusing. I’m more confused about all this than you are.” The Comanderette states bluntly. “But you sent me here to save my friend; to save the world and that’s exactly what we are going to do.”

“Right…. First let’s just set my ‘future gun’ down over there. Don’t want to get those mixed up and cause a paradox or anything. Besides, it’s not much use on that setting.” Carastar responds and Maggie places the gun down on a small bench.

“Deeps?” The little drone chirps.

“No, it’s not like this every day. More like every other day.” Carastar answers her companion as they start towards the bridge. “Now then, Comanderette… tell me everything.”

Meanwhile, in the catacombs beneath the temple ruins…

“So, the famous Professor Styger can only run like a coward in the darkness.” Fraulein Uhrmacher taunts in the darkness of the tunnel stretching out before her. She motions with her hand for her men to advance as she continues in her thick German accent. “The Uhrmacher repeats herself only once! Relinquish the armor you wear or I shall tear you limb from limb, like an insect!”

Ahead of the Uhrmacher the tunnel erupts in brief and controlled bursts of gunfire. The sounds cause her soldiers to dive to the ground as the megalomaniac stands unfazed while bullets ricochet off her.

“Your weapons are but toys to me.” The Fraulein laughs.

“Perhaps, but not hers!” Professor Styger’s voice shouts from the darkness as two energy beams strike the Uhrmacher in the chest. The explode with enough force to shake loose dust and debris from the tunnel ceiling and walls and knocking several of the soldiers unconscious, but the Uhrmacher remains standing with the blasts having no effect on her.

“Pathetic! The Angels are technology your primitive mind cannot comprehend, nor use properly.” The Uhrmacher sneers. “Only I can command their full capabilities.”

“The Angels are sentient beings; they think, they reason and they understand compassion!” The Professor shouts back from inside the Angel. “You have no right to their lives!”

“Sycophantic fool!” The Uhrmacher sneers. “It was I that discovered the secrets of Clockwork metal and I who used those secrets to build the Angels. They are nothing but tools! Automatons I created to rule over the weak and simple minded, and with my Angels I wielded absolute power over my planet for hundreds of thousands of years. Now that world is lost, so I shall have this one instead!”

“You’re wrong Fraulein, and we are going to stop you.” The Professor states defiantly.

“Are you Professor?” The Uhrmacher responds with a sinister grin. “Arrogance is not uniquely a human quality but I must say, you do it better than anyone.”

“Oh arrogance is more like a universal constant than a human quality.” A voice new to the Fraulein’s ears says in the dark tunnel. “Every species in the universe has displayed arrogance at one point or another; except maybe for the Phylaxians, beautiful creatures, like flowers but with teeth….”

“I was curious to see if you survived you’re crash, Time Master.” The Fraulein shouts back to the darkness. “Yes, I know a Timeship when I see one.” Behind her, the Uhrmacher motions for more of her men to slowly advance down the stone passageway.

“Oi, wait wait wait…” The voice says suddenly. “I wouldn’t do that if I were you. If you’ve seen Timeships before then you know what they can do when their vortex capacitors are discharged without engaging the temporal regulators.”

“You wouldn’t dare…” The Uhrmacher protests.

“I’m Captain Carastar and I most certainly ‘dare’ as the transmitter in my hand shows. Which, by the way, is programmed to transmit at the first sign of any scanning, so don’t bother with that either.” The voice says sternly. “Now, you don’t belong in this galaxy let alone on this world and certainly not in this time period. Who are you Fraulein and why are you here?”

“Enough of your prattling! I will have again what was taken from me!” The Fraulein responds harshly. “The Angels are mine and mine alone! You will give them to me… NOW!”

“Or what?” Carastar asks.

“Or you will burn for your insolence!” The Uhrmacher answers.

“Oi! I get it now. This is rich!” Carastar says almost laughing. “You’re not here on purpose. You’re here by accident. Yes, big bad dictator of another world forced out and escapes into the time stream. What’s the matter? Did the people you were oppressing finally rise up against you or did you just grow utterly complacent and incompetent? Tell me Fraulein, who took it all from you?”

“You know nothing Captain!” The Uhrmacher shouts. “…Nothing of betrayal, nothing of loss! Oh, but you will!!”

“Betrayal and loss…” Carastar responds in a gentle tone and completely ignoring the Fraulein’s threat. “…Lessons that can inspire one to change their own destiny; to choose another path… a better path.”

“Spare me your pathetic platitudes, Captain.” Fraulein Uhrmacher hisses in disgust. “They only display your weakness! Enough of these games, I shall wait no longer! I will take the Angel, NOW!”

“Right, didn’t think that would work.” Carastar says disappointed while simultaneously pulling her twin pistols and firing a barrage of energy bolts up the tunnel at the approaching Fraulein. The first of them strike several of the Frau’s soldiers and dropping them where they stand. The bolts that strike the Uhrmacher however simply seem to bounce off her half metal, half flesh body as she strides through the barrage towards the astonished space captain.

Carastar continues to fire her weapon right up until the Fraulein literally walks up to her, smacking her guns aside with one hand and grabbing the Time Master by her neck and lifting her clean off the ground.

“Professor, are you going to let this witless child die for your pride?!”

“Oi, did I forget to mention…” Carastar grunts. “…they’re gone… the Professor… his men… all of them.”

“What?! How?!” The Uhrmacher hisses with fury.

“Hello? It’s a Timeship.” Carastar says still struggling against the Urhmacher’s grip. “They come with a full complement of Time Spheres that can pop off anywhere in space and time relative to their mother ship. Or, as I like to call them, rescue pods.”

In pure anger the Fraulein hurls Carastar into the tunnel wall and scans the area only to find it empty. She turns back to the young space Captain who is just now returning to her feet.

“A desperate and foolish move…” Uhrmacher says in the dark. “I will simply tear your ship apart and take what I want.”

“Oi! Transmitter, remember?” Carastar says pulling something from her pocket and holding it up in front of her. “Timecutter… BOOM! Don’t want that now do we?”

“Puerile child!” Uhrmacher almost laughs. “I already know your device is a lie.”

“Fine, it’s a Fig Newton, but you can hardly blame me. Have you tried one of these? They’re extraordinary.” Carastar responds taking a bite of the small cookie.

The Fraulein marches menacingly over to the time traveler and again pins her to the tunnel wall. “You sacrificed yourself for nothing, for surely by now you must know that you cannot match my strength.”

“You’re right… I can’t.” Carastar says between chews. “….but she can.”

Before the dictator can even turn to look a certain red, white, and blue round shield slams into her side with the force of a speeding truck, sending her spiraling down the tunnel. She quickly returns to her feet in time to see Comanderette America easily catch her returning shield and stand with a look of utter determination.

“Ah yes, the soldier…” The Fraulein sneers. “…another child out of time, I think.”

“I’m not the one who’s out of time.” Maggie responds defiantly.

“Enough of this foolery!” The Fraulein shouts in rage as she raises a hand and fires a blast of energy directly at the Comanderette.

Instinctively, Maggie raises her shield and it deflects the Frauleins blast back at her. The Uhrmacher barely manages to dodge aside as the energy beam zips past her and down the tunnel where it eventually strikes a wall and explodes. The force of the blast ruptures the already weakened catacombs and sections of the ceiling begin to crack. Like an ominous line of dominoes the cracks travel back up the tunnel as large pieces begin to fall around them all.

“This was your plan?!” Carastar says to Maggie as they crouch down together while the brave Comanderette holds her shield above them.

“No, this was YOUR plan!” The Comanderette replies amid the falling rocks.

“Oi! No it’s not. My plans are usually much worse than this!” Carastar quips as Maggie struggles to keep the pair from being crushed to death. She pushes her shield above her with all her might against the very earth itself. A field of blue energy forms and encloses the two heroines but it costs the young soldier greatly as the strain makes her drop to one knee and forces Carastar down on her belly beneath her.

“Just… need… a line of… sight…” The Comanderette grunts, squinting through the shower of rocks and dirt. Her power almost spent, yet she refuses to yield. She refuses to surrender. Fueled only by sheer stubborn willpower she pushes back until finally she sees it. Through the rocks and debris, just for a second, she sees the night sky. In that single split second of a moment, the two women vanish in a bright flash of blue power, and the earth that Maggie was literally holding up is finally allowed to collapse.

Up on the surface a second flash of blue energy announces the arrival of the startled and confused Space Captain and the exhausted Super Soldier. Appearing right next to the open hatch of the Timecutter sitting neatly on its landing gear and free of the temple debris it was previously half-buried in. Amazingly, the old time ship looks almost brand new with all the previous wear and damage fully repaired. Even the patches of missing hull plating from before their crash are now fully replaced and she hums softly in the now silent temple ruins.

“Oi, look at you…” Carastar says to herself, standing up and staring at her ship with pride. “…you sexy thing, you. All fixed up now, are we?”

“DEEPS DEEPS!!” Carastar’s little floating drone friend chirps from just inside the open hatch.

“Hello Deeps. Ah, you haven’t blown up the planet. Good job.” Carastar yells in response as she takes the Comanderette’s arm over her shoulder and starts to carry the exhausted soldier aboard the Timecutter.

“DEEPS DEEPS!!” The drone replies.

“Oi! Don’t yell at me! There was that whole ‘getting shot at, choked, thrown around and nearly crushed under tons of rock’ thing.” Carastar snaps back. “Are the Professor and his men safe? And are the Angels secure?”

“DEEPS, DEEPS.” Deeps responds as Carastar literally hauls the near unconscious Comanderette up the gang plank.

“Good. Make sure they stay in the Cargo Hold and don’t let them out. Human minds, fragile things.” The time traveler orders as she lays Maggie’s now fully unconscious body on the deck. “Comanderette… lay there for a moment.”

“DEEPS?” Deeps chirps hovering over Maggie.

“Oh she’s fine. A bit spent though I’m afraid, as she did teleport us through a ton of crumbling rock...” Carastar answers her companion and then, as if on cue, The Timecutter shudders for just a moment nearly knocking the Captain off her feet. “…which is still crumbling, apparently.”

The young Captain and Deeps rush through the shaking ship to the bridge where alarms are sounding and indicators flashing all over. Carastar moves from device to device throwing switches and pushing buttons, pulling levers and turning knobs. On one of the monitors an image appears of the entire island and shows the edges of the land mass collapsing and tumbling into the ocean. Carastar’s face turns grim as the island shrinks in upon itself to the very point the TImecutter is currently sitting on.

“DEEPS!”

“It’s too late…” Carastar says as she sits at the helm. “Those catacombs run deep under the island and The Timecutter weakened their structural integrity when we crashed. Now that they’re collapsing it’s like a domino effect… it’ll keep falling till nothing stands.”

“DEEPS?”

“Repaired? Impossible… it would take weeks in a fully stocked dry-dock to…” Carastar pauses as she checks several indicators on the navigation panel. “That’s amazing! We are functional… fully and truly functional. How can that be?”

“DEEPS DEEPS!”

“What do you mean ‘prototype’? And how do you know so much? Who are you Deeps?” Carastar demands.

“I think you have more pressing concerns, Captain.” A voice that Carastar instantly recognizes as Fraulein Uhrmacher says from behind her. Turning slowly in her chair, Carastar sees the villain standing at the top of the stairway. Her once neat uniform now filthy and torn leaving bits of her red flesh and metal parts exposed. With one arm she tosses the still unconscious Comanderette to the floor and leaves her open palm pointed at the soldier. “Where are my Angels?!”

“Oi! You again?! Honestly you’re harder to get rid of than the Niemgol Plague! This island is collapsing…” Carastar tries to explain.

“All the more urgent for you to give me what I want!” The Uhrmacher interrupts in a hiss.

“Or what? You’ll blast my friend there? Sorry, time ships’ don’t like weapons. Suppression fields keep harmful reactions from… well, reacting. Your weapons won’t fire in here, only mine.” Carastar says with a smug confidence.

“Good to know!” The Fraulein says pulling Carastar’s ‘future gun’ with her other hand and pointing it at the Comanderette. “You shouldn’t leave guns lying around, Captain.”

“You know what’s funny about you?” Carastar says without skipping a beat. “You are so smart, I mean really you are stone cold brilliant; and yet so, so stupid. I mean, what’s the point of killing her now when she’s already defeated you?”

“You try to shame me, Captain.” The Fraulein says.

“Whatever was supposed to happen here today has clearly been interrupted.” Carastar continues in a dire tone. “This woman took out your entire garrison and saved the lives of these soldiers as well as those Angel things and whatever you THOUGHT was going to occur here today has been effectively cancelled. Your plan has failed, Fraulein… killing her now, when she’s defenseless, would just be the act of craven coward.”

“The events of today are FAR from settled, but you do raise a point.” The Fraulein ponders. “And if I am already defeated as you say, then a way to change it is required; one which you have so graciously provided me.”

“You can’t just go fiddling about with time, Fraulein.” Carastar says. “It doesn’t like it very much and tends to fiddle back.”

“Enough! Time, like all things, will bend to my will. Your warnings are as pathetic as you pleadings and they are both meaningless to me.” The Uhrmacher states with certainty as she points Carastar’s ‘future gun’ at the Comanderette, who is still lying helpless on the deck. “You would call this cowardly, whereas I simply call it cruel.”

“No, don’t!!” Carastar shouts in vain.

Before the time ship Captain can move another step, the Fraulein fires at the helpless Comanderette America. Carastar watches with a grim look of both sorrow and anger as the soldier disintegrates on the deck. Her gaze returns to the Uhrmacher who is now pointing the ‘future gun’ at her. They stare each other down for a moment until finally the Fraulein withdraws the pistol with an evil smile.

“You, I will leave to wallow in your weak and pathetic emotions. I have left humanity behind and a New Order will sweep across the world.” The megalomaniac declares as she strides towards one of the Time Spheres sitting securely in its nearby launch bay. “You needn’t worry however, my good Captain. In a moment, this will never have even happened.”

As she turns toward a waiting Time Sphere with a triumphant whip of her tattered trench coat, the Uhrmacher fails to notice as Carastar draws her own pistols and leaps into the air. With an uncanny and expert precision, she shoots the ‘future gun’ from the Uhrmacher’s grasp, sending the weapon sliding across the bay floor.

“Grrrrah!!” The Uhrmacher growls one last time as she dives for the Time Sphere and in a moment, disappears with it. Carastar rolls to her feet in time to see the Time Sphere fade from site.

“DEEPS?” Deeps chirps almost sadly as he hovers nearby.

“I failed.” Carastar answers with remorse. “Clever ole’ Carastar… always rushing in to save people… watching the ones I can’t save, die. This is why I don’t do this anymore; I don’t want to do this… ANYMORE!” A long history of adventures floods her mind and the images of the countless faces of countless races rise to the surface from her memory. Though the number of lives she has saved across her long experience is far greater than the number of those lost, she still feels regret and remorse for every single one that didn’t make it.

“DEEPS!?” Her drone friend chirps softly to break the silence.

“What do you think will happen? Reality as the human race knows it will collapse.” Carastar says sadly as she almost saunters over to the ‘future gun’ still lying on the floor of the bay. “Time will reset. Events will happen differently now, as designed by a megalomaniacal dictator with delusions of godhood.”

“DEEPS?”

“Oh right, yes let’s just run along after her and stop her. That simple is it?” Carastar snaps back. “I already tried that once, apparently. Fat load of rubbish that accomplished! All I did was to give this pistol to the Comanderette and...” the space captain stops and stares at the ‘future gun’. “…and send her back to us!”

“DEEPS?”

“Oh stupid Carastar… stupid, STUPID!!” Carastar says. “Human Biological Meta-Crisis!! Time can’t change until the anomalies are countermanded and that means that as long as there is an anchor to the events that happened today any travel to the ancillary future can’t manifest a change to the current time line in the past until the resulting anomaly catches up!”

“Deeps?”

“It means I have a plan!” Carastar shouts as she sprints towards another Time Sphere. “Had a plan, will have a plan? Oi! This gets confusing… Now release the Colonel and his men. We need to have a chat.”

September 24th, 2016
Metropolis

Several minutes later…

The smoke from Carastar’s sticky-bomb has just dispersed by the time Fraulein Uhrmacher stirs. Her cybernetic parts finish their self repair and with a single shove she pushes a large statue off her chest. Her sneer is raging as she stands and brushes the dust off her uniform.

“I have had enough of your surreptitious tactics, Carastar!” The Frau yells in defiance as she stomps angrily across the room, back towards adjacent gymnasium. “The Comanderette will die. Give me what I want or I shall tear off your hands and hang them as trophies from my belt!”

Only silence greets the Uhrmacher as she storms back into the Gymnasium area of the Comanderette’s loft apartment. She holds up a gloved hand, glowing with arcane power, as she walks past the humming time sphere she arrived in. Menacingly she ascends the stairs leading up to the top level, where she finds Carastar seated at a small table with a bottle of brandy and two glasses sitting atop it.

“Care for a drink, Fraulein?” Carastar says motioning to the other chair.

“More infantile games?” Intrigued, the Fraulein hesitates for a moment.

“That’s your first question? I thought it would have been, ‘Where did she get the brandy?’” Carastar responds disappointed. “But no Fraulein, no more games. In fact, it’s quite the opposite; more of a parlay, if you will.”

“The time for bargaining is over, Carastar! You have riled the fury of the Uhrmacher, and now I shall conjure a specter of despair to render the very soul from your body! Your witless ancestors called them demons.” The cyborg proclaims as she begins a series of hand motions, casting her spell.

“Please Fraulein, the ‘hocus-pocus’ bit may work well on the locals but you and I both know your abilities are not magic.” Carastar says calmly as she takes a sip of her brandy, despite the imposing Fraulein. “Energy manipulation, quantum field distortions, alchemy... but not magic.”

“Correct. Super science!” The Uhrmacher hisses. “And with it I shall send you off to another plane of existence!”

“Well, you could do that…” Carastar again says calmly, swirling her drink around in her hand. “…but then you would never know WHY you lost, and I think we both know your ego couldn’t handle that.”

“You play a dangerous game, Time Master…” The Uhrmacher begins.

“Former Time Master…” Carastar corrects. “…the benefit package turned out to be rubbish.”

“I have your ship; I have the Angels along with the Professor and his men.” The Fraulein lists. “The Comanderette is already dead in the past and in a moment shall be dead in the future as well. Where exactly is my disadvantage, Captain?”

“Look around you Fraulein Uhrmacher and answer me this…” Carastar says sipping her brandy again. “…where is your glorious new timeline? If you win here and now, and then return to the past to create your ‘glorious empire’ why isn’t it here? Now?”

The Uhrmacher sneers but hesitates for a moment to consider Carastar’s words. She had seen the momentary flashes of her twisted reality breaking through earlier, but yet it is the true reality that has remained permanent so far. The gears in her jaw whir as she snarls angrily and turns back to the smiling time Captain still in her chair.

“You’ve already sent her back?!” Fraulein Uhrmacher shouts as she throws little table with Carastar’s brandy aside. “How?! Your Time Sphere is still here!”

“Oi! I was drinking that!” Carastar laments her lost brandy. “And as for how? I’m Carastar. … I’ve forgotten more about time travel than you will ever know… so just accept it.”

“It does not matter what you have done!” The Uhrmacher shouts. “I can still return to the past and begin again, with your ship!”

“Hmmm, that’s true. I guess I should have thought of that… Oh wait! …I did.” Carastar says turning to look over the edge of loft to the Time Sphere still sitting in the Comanderette’s gymnasium floor below. She smiles as Fraulein Uhrmacher watches in rage as the little Time Sphere is engulfed in a bright light and then is simply gone. “Welcome to the twenty-first century, Fraulein. Oh and by the way, they aren’t too keen on Nazi’s these days.”

In a single movement, Fraulein Uhrmacher reaches and grabs Carastar by the scruff of her trench coat and lifts her out of her chair, holding her in mid air. “The past… the present… the future… It is irrelevant. All will bow the New Order! How can you possibly hope to stop me?”

“Oh I don’t know… a dance off?” Carastar ponders. “No, that would be silly.”

Suddenly the high pitched sound of a particularly powerful energy blast erupts behind the pair and a beam of energy strikes the Uhrmacher squarely in her chest. The force of the blast makes her drop Carastar to the floor as the would-be dictator is catapulted off the loft and slammed into the far wall where she then drops face first on the floor below.

“Please tell me I blasted the right chick?” Jenny Styger says stepping forward with a resounding clang of her boot and lifting up the faceplate of her Iron Beauty armor.

“Jennifer Styger!” Carastar says with an odd smile considering all that has just happened. “Good to see you existing again. Well done! I’m Carastar. I know, you’ve probably heard of me. I’m a huge fan… wait am I? Am a huge fan? Will be a huge fan? I’ve really got to get a handle on these things.”

“Ah, ah… my turn.” Jenny interrupts pointing to the dazed Nazi on the floor. “Who is that? And where is Maggie?”

“Well that is… a bit complicated, I’m afraid.” Carastar replies.

“Tell her, Time Master…” The Fraulein groans from the floor. “…tell her the price you have paid for this temporary victory. You may have trapped me in this future, but so are you… and you will never see Comanderette America again.”

“Hey! Robocop… Shut it!” Jenny says firing another beam from her hand blaster and knocking the Fraulein unconscious.

“Oh, I’ve got to get one of those…” Carastar says, impressed with Jenny’s armor.

Jenny raises her other hand and points her palm emitter directly at Carastar’s head. “You got a minute to live… fill it with words! Where is Maggie?!”

“It’s a bit hard to explain really.” Carastar begins cautiously. “I’m not sure you would understand the mechanics.”

“Try me!” Jenny says as the hum of her hand blaster grows a little louder and the emitter glows a little brighter.

“Alright, alright.” Carastar says. “You don’t have to be rude. So, skipping the boring stuff… it’s basically a causality created by a temporal human biological meta-crisis.”

“…A what?” Jenny responds.

“The Fraulein killed Maggie Doyle in the past, but didn’t because I am so clever that I’m clever before I realize that I’m clever. Don’t you see? The changes in the timeline that the Uhrmacher caused hinge on the fact that Maggie Doyle died in 1942, except that was too late for the Fraulein as Maggie; with my brilliant help of course; had already thwarted her plans, so she needed to kill Maggie in the future before she traveled to the past. Except that she actually didn’t kill Maggie in 1942 which means her biological matrix has been part of reality all this time, thus creating a temporal human biological meta-crisis that is preventing any changes to the timeline from solidifying.”

“Wait, slow down…” Jenny says confused. “…I get time travel, I’ve done it myself. The only thing I want to know is where Maggie is?! Is she alive, or is she dead?!”

“Oh Jenny, she is so alive.” Carastar says as she steps over to the old footlocker that Maggie’s father had left for her and with a single kick of her boot she breaks the lock and flips the lid open. “To keep the timeline anchored to the true reality I had to send Maggie the long way ‘round.”

“Hello again, no worse for wear eh?” Carastar says as she reaches into the footlocker and pulls her very dusty pistol from it. “Then again, how much wear do you get sealed in a footlocker for… what year is this?”

“You’re pulling a gun now? OK. That’s it. I’m blasting you.” Jenny says very annoyed.

“Oi! Haven’t you been listening?” Carastar asks as she twirls around and points her pistol at the floor before her. “It’s not a gun, its life boat.”

Carastar fires her pistol and instantly the Comanderette materializes on the floor. The soldier stirs for a moment and slowly rises to her feat. Confusion gives way to relief as she sees that she is back in her loft and Jenny Styger is standing in her armor with a similar look of confusion on her face.

“Jenny? How… what…” Maggie begins.

“Temporal stasis containment field.” Carastar responds. “That was the whole thing about giving you my pistol to take with you to the past. A Time Master weapon can fire any kind of energy, so I reprogrammed it to fire a temporal stasis containment field, knowing the Uhrmacher would steal my gun and try to kill you with it. All she did was trap you inside the gun. Still alive but just trapped in a moment of perpetual time stored within gun’s power matrix. See? Simple.”

Maggie exchanges a look of confusion with Jenny’s skeptical one and eventually the pair just shrugs their shoulders in acceptance.

A short time later…

Jenny Styger, Maggie Doyle and Captain Carastar stand together on the roof of Maggie’s apartment building and watch as the Justice Girls transport ship flies off toward the sea with Fraulein Uhrmacher safely secured within it.

“Do you think the Paragon can hold her?” Maggie asks.

“Of course it can, I designed the containment cells myself.” Jenny says in her usual swagger.

“What about you, Captain?” Maggie asks Carastar. “Where will you go from here?”

“Me? Oh, I don’t know. I never know. Wherever the universe takes me, I’d suspect.” Carastar answers.

“You could stick around here.” Jenny says. “We could use someone with your talents.”

“A tempting offer, but I don’t belong here anymore than Fraulein Uhrmacher does. It’s best not to have too many anomalies running around.” With that the time Captain touches a control on her gauntlet and instantly the Timecutter materializes hovering above them out of thin air. Awkwardly, Carastar then puts her hands on Maggie’s shoulders and leans in to deliver a light kiss to each of her cheeks. Maggie returns the awkward look but smiles as well.

“Never understood that, but I guess it’s a ‘thing’ you humans do.” Carastar explains as she reaches out for Jenny’s shoulders.

“Yea, uhm, I’m good. Thanks.” Jenny says taking a step back as she takes one of Carastar’s hands and gives it a small shake. “One thing though, you never really said… who are you?”

“Oh… the stuff of legends.” Carastar answers with a smile and a wink as she activates her levitation disks and rises up to the hovering Timecutter where she disappears into the open hatch. Maggie and Jenny watch as it closes tight and then the ship swings around and rockets off into the sky.

“Next time… we work out at my place.” Jenny says quietly as the Timecutter fades from view.

The End... the beginning? Time travel is so confusing...

Gatkowski
Star

re: Cara Part 18: Carastar the Legendary Outlaw Part IV

She called her 'Robocop'. BWAHAHAHAHAHA, that just cracked me up!

Time travel IS confusing, all twisty-turny suspensy. <.<

It's an awesome read, as usual. Yeah, I read all three chapters. Yeah, I read them in the correct order. No time travely jumpin' back and forth. That would be spoiler-heavy, right?
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: