League NewsFeed Icon

Justice Girls Uniform

by BallandChain, 137 days ago

(View Post) | 10 Replies | (Post Reply)  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psylinke
New Girl

re: Making Money in DCUO

Disclaimer: I'm writing this up because a few of you asked me in game about it. However, I could be totally wrong on this article. By wrong, I mean I've never sold an item for 100 million or the like. Nor can I afford to buy everything I see on the auctioneer. I have, however, sold a few items for 10 million+ over, and I've bought some pretty expensive stuff too, because I could (eventually) afford to. Lastly, I don't believe that making money in a video game (or in real life either), should be some kind of unspoken secret, to be hoarded by a select group of greedy jerks. So if you consider my criteria to be reasonable profit-wise, please read on.

Observations about buyers: You make more money from other players via the auctioneer more than anything else in game. The reason is simple... people want stuff and they want it now. Because of this, inventory items that you may consider dumping at a safehouse vendor may be worth more than a couple of hundred bucks, which brings us to the following...

Use the auctioneer as a reference tool: Always check your inventory against the auctioneer. Don't just trash everything. Don't think that because it's a level 3 green item, it's worthless. What's the style of the item? Is there another one on the auctioneer? If there is, what is it selling for? People will pay big for the silliest things because they are impatient.

Choose when to sell: Be savvy about when you sell things. As a basic trend, selling on weekends is bad because there's more competition. Also, if someone is selling an item for so low that you don't want to compete with her... don't sell your item. Wait. And remember that you can buy cheap and re-sell high. For example if you see an item that you know is worth at least 100k being sold for something stupid like 5k (this actually happens), buy it yourself and re-sell it... you just made 95k.

Undercut: If it's your first toon, and you're poor, chances are you sometimes can't meet the deposit fee for the auctioneer... especially, if you have a really big item you want to sell. Undercut your auctions to make sure they sell and hang on to the big item until you can afford the fee. Don't post something for a fee that might break your wallet! An alternative is selling by announcing via the trade channel in the Watchtower. If another player wants to buy, you can make a secure trade and skip the auctioneer fee. Just be cautious of the other player scamming you during the secure trade part.

With that in mind, here are some of the things that I keep to sell:
Purples from solo instances: The next time you're fresh off Brainiac's ship and about to equip that level 4 epic Scarecrow mask from the first Batman mission, think twice... it can go anywhere from 100k-500k on the auctioneer post-megaservers. Do you actually need epic gear at level 4? It's up to you, really... just remember what it can be worth and that you'll only be wearing Dr. Crane's hand-me-downs for a few levels before you get a better quest upgrade. Also keep in mind, that solo epics which are exclusive on hero/villain side, sell big on the opposite side. A pair of Power Girl's gloves can go for 5k at the Hall of Doom auctioneer... however, it can go for 50k+ at the Watchtower.

Clues: Have you ever trashed an Already Collected clue? Stop doing that. There are clues that can sell for big bucks, like Renee Montoya's GCPD file or an Oan Disabler from Metropolis' Tomorrow District. Even if you sell about 10 crummy matchbooks for 100 bucks each, guess what? That's equates to a pack of Soder or a bad repair bill. Again, check your duplicate clues at the auctioneer before getting rid of them.

All green armor drops: People pay big to finish a style collection. Again, do not simply vendor your greens. Use the auctioneer as reference. If the style of the green in your inventory is not there, put it up for as much as you want to see if anyone bites.

Certain weapon skins: I can't say that I keep a lot of weapons to sell. I actually do trash a lot of weapon drops because I find turning over armor styles more effective. However, styles like any type of dual-wield katana skin can net you a tidy sum. I'm sure there's more to this than katanas, but weapon skin knowledge is really not my thing. confused

Here is a list of my personal favorite stuff to farm:
I prefer "spare time" farming, meaning I don't log on to DCUO to farm like a workaholic. I like to farm things I consider easy, quick, and returns a lot of profit. The following list is not an "I must farm this OR ELSE" list. It's just stuff that I find enjoyable to farm...
1. Memorial Plaque clues (in Metropolis Midtown and Gotham's Robinson Park)
2. Kryptonite (in Midtown Metropolis)
3. Clues from instances (after instance is done, I'll usually stay behind to do this)
4. Renee Montoya's GCPD file (Gotham East End)
5. Batwoman's Cape (In Intergang instance)
6. Deathstroke's Bandolier (In Riddler's hideout)
7. Scarecrow's Helm (1st Batman mission)
8. Power Girl's gloves (1st Lex Mission)
9. Brother Blood's Helm (Ellsworth Memorial Hospital instance)
10. Wonder Girl's belt (Giganta instance)
11. Catwoman's goggles (Catwoman solo instance)
12. Flash's Speed Boots (Villain side - Old STAR labs)
12. Kanhdaq chest

Stuff that I've seen sell for a lot, but I hardly/never farm because I find it unpleasant/really f*cking boring mad :
1. Robot Batman Helm (Batman lvl 30 mentor mission)
2. Aquaman's belt (from Condemned Shipyard instance in Metro)
3. Oan disabler (Metro Tomorrow District)
4. Acoustium Casing (Suicide Slums)
5. All Arkham Island clues

Happy hunting!

"A heroine can live on Soder alone."

Last edited by Psylinke on Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:01 pm; edited 5 times in total

Huhuhu I will be rich thanks to you !
I always sold greenies to NPC merchants...
Obsidia Pink

UsamiHaiku wrote:
Huhuhu I will be rich thanks to you !
I always sold greenies to NPC merchants...

Some you definitely can. They are just too common to bother trying to sell on the brokers especially now that we've got so many more people. It's just a manner of knowing which styles and pieces are the sought after ones. Though if you're really interested you can always check with the brokers before you vendor it.

-Katherine Hepburn
Superjainy

re: Thanks for the helpful hints.

Wow, sure beats being broke in this game all the time. Thank you. I'll try "farming," some time. wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Library All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: