SundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturday
B'Day - Alexis Allura
League NewsFeed Icon

No News Is Currently Available

Poll Widget
No poll is currently assigned to this widget.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spudsy2061

re: A Brief History of Kasumi

The story of KasumiChan originates in China during World War II. In 1937 with the Japanese invasion of China, Kasumi's mother, Azuhara, worked as a nurse in the Japanese Army. Azuhara worked with the army for six years, until in 1943 a small Chinese militia raided the medical camp Azuhara was stationed at. While the Japanese Army fended off the attack it left it's mark leaving many wounded, including Azuhara. Azuhara was then sent back to Japan to recuperate in a Japanese hospital in Nagasaki (if you get where this is going now, yeah roll with it). After her recovery the army discharged her and she immediately picked up work in the hospital she recovered at. While there Azuhara met a gentleman at the hospital, Tatsushika, and two began dating. As the two became closer they conceived a child at the beginning of 1945. In August, their child, to be named Kasumi, was close to birth when the United States dropped the atomic bomb on Nagasaki. Tragically, Tatsushika perished in the blast, while Azuhara survived but with severe radiation poisoning. It was around this time that Wonder Woman arrived to help with the clean up upon the Japanese government's unconditional surrender. Azuhara from her death bed, pleaded with Wonder Woman to protect the unborn Kasumi and let her have at least a chance at life. After much pleading, Wonder Woman agreed to forego the policy of the Justice League to not get emotionally involved with the common locals after detecting that the unborn child could have been mutated with unnatural powers from the intense radiation. Wonder Woman sent the plea to the Justice League headquarters and The League reluctantly agreed to have Kasumi born under the condition that the Justice League could later on call upon Kasumi's aid whenever The League saw fit. Wonder Woman explained the conditions to Azuhara, who agreed to have them in place. The next day Kasumi was born and taken to a Justice League base in Osaka to be monitored. Azuhara then passed away leaving Kasumi parentless. The League monitored Kasumi to a healthy birth and released her to a couple who had lost their child in the same blast. Kasumi would never know of her true parents until much later in life.

Time would pass and Kasumi, from age 12, would attend high-end schools in Kyoto, where she also trained in martial-arts, specializing in duel weapons. She would not hear from her foster parents again and they would then admit her to a dojo to train endlessly in these martial arts after the completion of her schooling at 17. At age 20 she had excelled incredibly, and had start to accumulate unnatural strength and speed to the dumbfounded understanding of her mentors. By then her foster parents had not communicated with Kasumi for about 8 years, until she received a letter summoning her to their bedside. Both the foster parents fell ill with natural causes and passed away while Kasumi was aged 21. Before retuning to the dojo, at her house Kasumi was met by Wonder Woman, who had told her that she was to be called upon by the Justice League following Brainiac's most recent invasion of Earth at Metropolis. Kasumi didn't not first understand what the Justice League even was, let alone her ties to it. Wonder Woman would then explain the path Kasumi's life had taken, much to Kasumi's shock. After the tale, Kasumi would not agree to go with Wonder Woman, and the two would decide to battle to decide Kasumi's future. The duel ended in a draw, as the two agreed after an hour of battling to settle the conflict at the negotiation table. The two went into the house and discussed Kasumi's history and future. After much discussion, Kasumi agreed to go with the Justice League, and Wonder Woman took Kasumi to the Justice League HQ in the Watchtower. Kasumi would then be mentored under Batman due to her martial arts background. Before she left for the Watchtower, Kasumi would grab the only weapons her foster parents owned, a set of short katanas to duel wield. Thus Kasumi would be trained under Batman, and two years later, at age 23, Kasumi would become a full fledged superhero. As a tribute to her mother's ability and dedication of her life to curing others by herbal means, Kasumi specialized her newly acquired powers to study healing through nature. Thus, at age 24, Kasumi would enter the superhero force, helping the Justice League curb the forces of evil for ages to come.

The "chan" part comes in as just a simple tag. In Japan it's normally used as an informal greeting (I believe solely to woman too but I'm not going to say I'm 100% accurate on that holding true).

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by Spudsy2061 on Sun May 06, 2012 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bizowerr Girl
Star

Very nice! Good detail. I enjoyed the origin having a historical background and being tied to the Golden Age Wonder Woman in particular (though that opens a million threads of discussion for a comicsgeek like me! What about the JSA? What about.. etc etc Happy )

Were you envisioning the Exobytes having any impact on her powers, or is she purely a child of the atom? (with eastern nature magic)
Spudsy2061

Probably just a child of the atom for now but I'm glad you liked it. I was a bit worried writing it because the character is based after my daughter, who's part Japanese, so I decided like Spidey, the radiation factor would be a good explanation for her powers, but honestly the whole "the bomb" angle is quite overused, but I couldn't think of anything better. I tried to tie in how the character actually chose duel wielding over say, brawling or axe or hammer, and I tried to tie in how the character became a nature healer but I do admit the links are a bit weak if anything. Could need a bit of work/lengthening but it was written on a whim so I can edit it later if need be.
Bizowerr Girl
Star

I think its a great framework that can be adapted to anything you might imagine later, if the spirit moves you.

I don't think the bomb is as overused as you think. Not these days (so far as I know). It has the quality of an old classic to me. Nostalgia of a sort. Like jetpacks or rocketships or fins on cars.

And basing her on your daughter makes her doubly charming in my eyes, for what its worth.
Bizowerr Girl
Star

And of course, using the bomb as the origin for a Japanese hero gaining the power to do good gives her a very weighty tragic irony. You smile and are sad a little all at once.
Cara Lace
Cara Lace
Diva

re: Story

wow nicely done Kasumi, very well written. i like it Happy

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: