Who's Online
DCUO Announcements

SaturdaySundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFriday
B'Day - SunGoddess
B'Day - Alexis Allura
League NewsFeed Icon

No News Is Currently Available

Poll Widget
No poll is currently assigned to this widget.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muezick

re: Going Green!

It's really fortunate that the occasional hero work comes with cash in hand after a job well done these days. If not for that Powergirl Prime would have none at all. She doesn't have a home with clothes, a pet cat to feed, a cell phone with a dozen voice mails or an over flowing mailbox.

Not a single domestic amenity has been reacquired in her 14 month stay on this earth so far. She has unremorsefully chosen this life of so-called hard ship though, it has been both freeing and humbling. It has been a challenge. And more than anything, that is what she's interested in, challenges. Mental challenges, physical challenges, emotional challenges. The first and last she has seen plenty of, but there haven't been any since her 24 or so birthday in the second area.

But that's okay, because being a woman and being incredibly powerful physically is really nice. Especially in this society we all live in, where women are almost always weaker. Karen Prime especially enjoys the look on a persons face when there is heavy lifting to do, and she says 'nah its ok, i got it'. She doesn't flaunt it though, and it doesn't really matter any more, since she wears her powergirl prime outfit every where, she has no secret civilian identity to wow people with, so instead of lifting desks and heavy boxes, she's lifting sky scrapers and bridges. Same effect, different setting it seems.

Currently she's enjoying some down time sitting beside a stone gryphon that's hanging off the side of a very tall building in gotham. She's holding a cheese burger, near by, spread across the concrete, is a fast food meal. There's some half eaten french fries, a large drink, which has an empty paper bag, napkins and a reciept all whipping in the wind under it.

Powergirl Prime pulls a napkin from under the drink gently, leaving the rest without tipping over the drink, to gently dab a bit of mustard from the corner of her puffy perky lips.

She can hear everything, see everything. If any real danger were to pass, she would spring in to stop it, but there are so many heroes flying around now, that she can afford some down time. She needs it too, she has the body of a god, but the mind and personality of a mortal. She needs mental and emotional downtime to maintain psychological balance and she is no stranger to admiting she can't do something because she lacks that balance.

Even the eating she's doing now is completely unnecessary. She's simply doing it to feel normal. She needs that grounding feeling, because without it, she would lose her sense of appropriate perspective, probably go insane and wind up like Superboy Prime did. Any Kryptonian can suffer from this, but a Prime Kryptonian seems to have a higher rate. Then again, the sample data is imperfect, thus far there are only two prime kryptonians accounted for.

Suddenly, a green glowing light zips around the building and begins to float directly infront of Powergirl Prime. It's a green lantern ring, and can be here for only one reason. Karen Prime's eyes widen when she sees it. She's seen these green lanterns all over the place in recent time, she's heard of them, read of them. She knows their status and also knows it is a great honor to become one.

"Oh you have got to be ki-"

The ring cuts her off.

"Doctor Karen Starr Prime, You have the ability to over come great fear. I am a Power Ring sent by the guardians of the universe. We will now travel to Oa to begin your initiation into the Green Lantern Corps."

Karen drops her hamburger in shock as the ring draws nearer to her, illuminating her gorgeous assets in green light until it slips effortlessly onto one of her gloved fingers then incases her in a smooth globe of green light and takes off towards the sky. As soon as the ring slips onto her finger, Karen can feel a change resonate through her entire body. She can feel something wrong gently easing itself into her physiology.

She's becoming weaker.

To Be Continued...

Days earlier.

At the center of the universe on Oa, the guardian’s of the universe convene and discuss a potential galactic threat. They all float round a large scrying orb encircled by darkness behind them.

“We have discovered another Prime Kryptonian.”

One starts off, Another interjects.

“We should focus all our efforts on containing or destroying her before a problem escalates.”

A burning sensation remains ever present in the backs of their large minds, a steady reminder of the scars Superboy Prime left on this universe.

“No, let us attempt to harness her. She could potentially be the most powerful asset yet.”

One guardian offers. Another retorts with disdain

“Harness? Are you mad? Even if such a power were containable and controllable, how would we?”

Suddenly, a divide between Guardians forms as they discuss, some in favor of controlling, others in favor of destroying.

“This Prime is much more stable than the last. It is proven that the volatility of Superboy Prime was due to his mental decay as a result of being trapped within Alexandor Luthors paradise realm. This one is different.”

This guardian speaks with calm cool demeanor, the rest nod in agreement as the facts are presented, another speaks up.

“I have schematics for a ring that I have been working on for beings such as Kryptonians and Daxamites. Their Solar cell absorption is a powerful tool to be utilized. This ring would normalize the gradient between the users power and the rings power, bleeding off excess power into the will power stream itself. Thus allowing it to be diffused between all green Lanterns. It would allow us to adjust this gradient to our desire. Initially we can bleed the energy away and bring her down in power as drastically as we please, until she can be trusted, then in times of great need, she could be given her full power back.”

The guardians seemed to appreciate this idea, all of them nod in agreement, though one asks calmly.

“And what do you suppose her reaction will be when she learns we are draining her power? Suppose that is all it takes to set her off?”

The guardian’s floating round all seem to agree with this question. Another guardian answers.

“By then it will be to late. The ring will already be draining her, then it will only be a mater of time. Though there is a slim risk that she could be powerful enough to remove or destroy the ring with her brute strength before the drain is complete, I believe this risk is worth taking. As noted, she is psychologically and emotionally stable. There is an equal chance that she will simply not mind the power drain. We have numerous reports of her pulling her strength in favor of the preservation of life. This is something Superboy Prime was –never- recorded doing.”

The guardians all nod in agreeance. And then, as if an invisible and silent gavel were struck, it is decided unanimously.

“Very well then, I will go and create this prototype ring. What better being to test it on than a Prime Kryptonian.”

One guardian announces, as he turns and heads for the ring forge. After that, the lot of them close their eyes and enter a deep meditative state as they continue to scry the universe in ever omniscience.

To Be Continued...

As Powergirl Prime and the ring traveled across the transluminal through space towards Oa, she questioned the ring. She asked why she was chosen, to which she was given the generic response. She asked questions about the Guardians, which she was given non disclosing answers. Typically told the information was classified. She was also given this kind of answer when she questioned why the ring was draining her power.

When she arrived on Oa, she was greeted by a small army of Green Lanterns as well as Guardians of the Universe. She descends through the stratosphere of Oa towards it's great green architecture and landscapes towards a wide open field of green, far away from any Oan City. Her first instinct is so put her guard on, but she has done nothing wrong and thus has no reason to fear these interstellar police officers. That and, if they intended on arresting her, they wouldn't give her a power ring first.

"Welcome to Oa, Powergirl Prime and welcome to the Green Lantern Corps."

One guardian speaks, this is the guardian that designed the ring Powergirl Prime currently wears, and advocated giving it to her. Many of the Lanterns on site were there when Sinestro unleashed Superboy Prime onto earth. They watched in horror as he killed hundreds of them. They all feel the fear another prime kryptonian in this universe brings. Karen cannot feel it, but she can see it, in their eyes, on their faces. Still, the welcome from a Guardian is comforting.

"Thank you. Quite a reception I inspire. Please, ladies and gentlemen, I am not my cousin and will not hurt any of you."

Powergirl Prime is adamant about this, but not many people she tells this to are convinced. These Green Lanterns before her are still skeptical. It's a lot like fearing an adult as a child. They're bigger, stronger, smarter and better than you are in every way, you can't escape, you can't win. There is no chance, no contest.

"You can't blame their fear Powergirl Prime. Superboy Prime caused so much destruction, the scars he left on this universe will never heal. As you have already discovered, the power ring we've given you is quickly draining your power from you. We don't intend on keeping this power, but rather, disperse it. Your strength will strengthen the entire corps. We apologize for any deception."

A guardian speaks these words, the same one who has arranged this meeting. He's eager to strengthen the corps and advocates against the corps being dissolved in favor of something else. He floats down towards Powergirl Prime, the first out of all of them to get near to her. The rest are between 50 and several hundred feet away.

"I understand. I am not what you all think. I have met with this earths Powergirl, and I can tell you we are not alike. I am older and wiser than she is. It was a little underhanded, the way you went about this, but I can't blame you. Though you should know, that this ring is anything but quick about draining my power. How much power do you theoretically think you've drained from me?"

The guardian who made the ring answers in a solum voice.

"By now, it has been several hours since you adorned the ring. By our calculations, roughly 50% of your power should have been drained, though we haven't been able to measure a theoretical limit yet."

With that, Powergirl just grins, then she brings her ring hand up and clenches it into a fist, then slams it down onto the ground. She bends over and punches the ground with all her might! The force of the impact creates an instant creator 10 miles wide and a mile deep! The entire planet shakes at the force and long trenches crack open at the edges of the massive creator that stretch for miles out. The sheer reverb from the percussion of the impact causes a storm of wind in the area, that at first, whips some of the green lanterns that weren't expecting the force around. They all quickly raise their guards, and in an instant a half thousand constructs form aggressively poised to strike at Powergirl Prime. The fear in their eyes is astounding!

The guardian's claim to feel no emotion, but their eyes are wide with fear at the display. Powergirl Prime gives a few moments peace to let things settle. Then she slowly leans back up, pulling her fist away from the ground, then she reaches to the ring and pulls it off, seemingly, effortlessly. For the guardian who designed the ring, it's like watching her tear an oil tanker in half or twist the golden gate bridge into a knot. She's not supposed to be able to remove it at all. She closes her left hand around the ring and floats towards the guardians. She holds her hand out to the guardian that greeted her and offers him the ring.

"I think you had better take this back to what ever factory you made it in and make it stronger. To be perfectly honest, I had no idea how great my power was until I came here, to this universe. I do not like the fear I bring to Peoples eyes. It upsets me. I am not this monster every one wants to believe I am. If my power can help strengthen the entire green Lantern corps, then I will gladly give up as much of it as you want."

Shocked, Awed, Beweildered. The guardian before her takes the ring with a shaking hand. He listens and steels his resolve quickly. He clenches his fingers around the ring and nods firmly to Powergirl Prime's suggestion. The constructs behind the row of guardians slowly begin to fade one by one as they listen to Powergirl Prime's voice and charisma. It's almost inspiring in it's robust nature.

"Yes, yes. We will use this prototype and the data we have gathered thus far to make a better version. I made this ring solely by myself, the next ring will be empowered by all of us together."

Powergirl Prime smiles. She knows that the ring spreading her power to other green lanterns is purely auxilary. The true goal is to keep her under lock and key, on a leash and controllable. Powergirl Prime doesn't mind this so long as they do not abuse their leash. Having help Keeping her power in check will help maintain her sense of humanity as well. It's more like sharing a burden and less like a sacrifice.
The creation of the Power Draining ring 2.0 will take time. While the guardians work around the clock to create it, Powergirl Prime is given a normal ring to learn on. Her genius intellect and obscenely high natural will power gives her an edge in learning the ins and outs of ring slinging quickly. The entire process takes a couple of days, during this time she learns the basics and masters them. She is still by far a rookie, but she has a lot of time on her hands to learn, she knows the basics and Killawog is currently assigned to earth to help deal with the sinestro infestation.

When the Guardian's emerge from their ring forge, they carry a container that holds the new ring within. There is a large ceremony with dozens of Green Lanterns in Attendance. Powergirl stands in the center of a massive auditorium like chamber, each of the guardians surrounds her with the pioneer of the energy draining power ring presenting it to Power girl. She takes the ring and holds it in her hand. it's very heavy, it's extremely dense, no normal human could lift it. She doesn't put it on, instead she turns to address the guardians, and most of the Green Lanterns in attendance.

"This is a sacrifice, but also a union. On earth, matrimony is sealed with a ring and a kiss. Well, none of you are getting kisses, but by putting this ring on. I take a vow. I vow to never willingly cause harm to another. I give my power to the corps to make it stronger. My strength is a burden, and today I share that burden with this corps.

In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil's might,
Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!!!"

And with that, she took up the ring and slipped it onto her finger. Her fingers had been relaxed, but when she puts the ring on, her fingers spread and go rigid as the power of the ring sinks into her physiology. Her entire body shakes and swaths of green electricity arc between her fingers and the ring, then between her arm and her body. Then between her and the surrounding area. Her eyes explode with green light that pours forth like her heat vision. Her mouth hangs agape and she falls to her knees. Wild arcs of green Electricity pour out of her back and spark and lick at the air and surounding areas.

The guardian standing near her backs away quickly, he shields his eyes, many look away. Constructs raise for protection. Powergirl Prime screams, she growls and her eyes close tight as if she is in pain. The ring on her finger glows so brightly it's hard to even look at. Powergirl Prime rigidly opens her eyes, this is not an easy task, and she looks down at the ring, her fingers splayed, hand shaking. She clenches her hand into a fist and holds it fast. She grunts, then slowly, gets back up to her feet. She screams out in effort as she fights to maintain consciousness as the ring drains her power.

Imagine the kind of pressure and force behind a drain under the atlantic ocean that some one just uncorked. This trauma Powergirl Prime is experiencing is a lot like that. After awhile of this, it begins to die down. The initial brutal force of putting the ring on passes, Powergirl Prime finds herself panting furiously, for the first time in a long time. Her ring hand clenched, muscles bulged slightly. Constructs slowly go down and the guardians uncover their eyes to look at Powergirl. She stands there, bathed in green Light. her costume different. Instead of black with blue gloves and boots, her gloves and boots are not green and white. The ring on her hand glows furiously, though not blindingly so.

The guardians stare pensively at Powergirl Prime. She slowly opens her hand, begins to relax. It wasn't that it was painful, though in a way it might have been. It was just intense. The conduit of energy between herself and the ring had become a sort of super channel. The Gradient of power between the ring and herself was massively disproportionate, and the programming in the ring sought to change that. For the most part, it was successful. She's now around the same strength as superman, roughly, rather than several orders of magnitude over him. With the Green Lantern Power ring, she is still a force to be reckoned with, but she is no longer unstoppable.

"Alright then."

Powergirl Prime said with an exhausted and out of breath voice. The lanterns that had gathered began to clap. The gathering dispersed shortly afterwards. The guardians and Powergirl Prime met in the guardians chambers at the center of Oa and her new special mission parameters were explained. Powergirl Prime would be like a secondary Ion force, maintained exclusively for the purpose of extreme need and not used any other time then that. Powergirl Prime accepted the duty willingly and eagerly. In times when there is no great need for her supreme power, she will be on earth with the rest of the reservists.

Powergirl Prime then cautioned them to not abuse this relationship purely on scope of Hubris and while the Guardian's dismissed her carefully with diffusing and confusing wisdom, they still feared what may happen if she were to some how escape the new cage they have placed her in. Neither Powergirl Prime nor the guardians are disillusioned about the actual status of the ring she wears. It is a cage and nothing else.

Though In the rear depths of her mind, as she flies away from Oa back towards earth to begin her new duties as a Green Lantern. She hypothesizes that the flow of energy from herself, into the ring, and consequentially, into the will power stream itself, could be reversed. It would take tinkering and an understanding of ring technology, but Powergirl Prime knows it's possible and if she were ever to learn how to Reverse the flow, she truely would become an unstoppable god since Prime Kryptontian Physiology can synthesize nearly any form of light energy. Not just sun light energy and Will in its rawest form is the most potent form of power in the universe. A prime Kryptonian having that on tap is unthinkable.

Fortunately, such a thing will likely never come to pass. Powergirl Prime has no intention of abusing this new arangement, she genuinely enjoys being weaker. The loss of her company, her life, it hurt, but it was also freeing. This too hurts, but in the end, will free her. New perspective, new experiences, new life.

finished.

Comments welcome <3

re: backstory

well done...loooooove it

You will be different, sometimes you'll feel like an outcast, but you'll never be alone. You will make my strength your own. You will see my life through your eyes, as your life will be seen through mine. The son becomes the father and the father becomes the son.
(Superman to his sleeping son, Jason)
Cara Lace
Cara Lace
Diva

re: Nice Job

Well done, i like it when the guardians of Oa are involved.
Very creative :-)

Muezick

weird I thought I posted here

any ways! Thanks both of you <3

Jump to: