ThursdayFridaySaturdaySundayMondayTuesdayWednesday
B'Day - Veridian Star
League NewsFeed Icon

No News Is Currently Available

Poll Widget
No poll is currently assigned to this widget.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soonerjr

re: The Land Rush of 1889...

“Miss Branduggar, so you are saying that Sooners were the ones who cheated on the Land Rush? They were actually land thieves?” a student said from the back of the room.

Miss Branduggar walked around the desk, looking up the 100 students in the class, she heard the words form on her mouth, “yes, that is….”

As she spoke, she silently remembered that day as it was just yesterday. April 22, 1889, it was a Monday. It was “high noon”. Today mention those items to people, and they think of the O.K. Corral or two gunfighters meeting in a western town. It was nothing like that. There were really too many people around to clear the town for a center of town “gunfight”. That wasn’t the reason they were there. You see, the reservations that we gave to the Indians were now going to be opened to settlers. Those that were quick enough got free land to work and build on. A place many said would be great to raise a family.

Then there was daddy and me. Dad was a Deputy Marshal for the Oklahoma territories and was able to cross the starting line way before the others due to his duties. We rode horses to a patch of land by a river, and grass as far as you could see. There were three of us. Myself, dad and Awenasa an indian woman who helped my dad. Her name Awenasa meant “my home”. I remember clearly the dust and the noise as the thousands of individuals ran for land. Dad quickly ran to one of the pack horses, and pulled a flag out and slammed it into the ground. He declared “baby, this is now your land!” just as four individuals came riding up. They didn’t appear to be your standard settlers, these were men that you could tell rode the trails regularly. One rode up with his hand on his pistol, while the other three sat back with rifles across their chest.

“Dear sir, I think you are mistaken, you see we think that this is our land, and see we even claimed it”, the lead rider stated while gesturing to my father’s flag.

“I’m afraid you are mistaken, why don’t you boys just keep on moving.” My dad was speaking now, showing his Deputy Marshal’s badge so they all could see it.

“I don’t reckon we will, you can leave now or not all.” The lead rider stated.

“Hey Riley, let’s just kill him and take the women folk!” One of the men said in the back.

I don’t recall everything that happened after that. Six, seven, eight shots were fired, or about that many. I felt a pain in my chest, and blood on my hands as I fell to the ground. I said a quick prayer as I lost consciousness.

It was two weeks later when I regained consciousness. Dad recounted what happened. He fired 4 times, and each was a deadly shot. The riders managed to get off 4 shots. One hit me in the chest, one missed Awenasa, and two hit dad. His were flesh wounds, and Awenasa begged him to get the land registered. She said she’d take care of me, but the land “my home” needed to be ours. He rushed off reluctantly, and everyone took him at his word that he got the land fairly.

When he got back to the site, he asked Awenasa where I was. She replied “my home”, and pointed to a pile of red dirt that covered me in the ground. She refused to let dad move me, I was told, as she tended to his wounds also that week.

Dad said I just laid there white as a ghost with seemingly no breath. Then one day I gasped, that was two days before I awoke. We never really talked about those days again. Dad with the injuries that day, gave up being a Deputy Marshal, and become a rancher. Over the years, our ranch grew to be the biggest in the area, as dad expanded it, we also discovered oil. Dad taught me everything he knew about business, oil and ranching. Soon I was running the business while he was growing old.

It’s was 15 years after that fateful day that I noticed, that I was being asked if I was dad’s granddaughter by strangers. I never thought twice about my young appearance, but it was there. As if I was froze at the age of 26. When Dad died shortly after that, he just told me “talk with Awanesa and tell her I release her from her vow”.

I found Awanesa in the guest house that we had made for her. There were tears in her eyes, she loved my dad dearly but they knew that they could never be together. My mom died during my birth, and Awanesa raised me in the skills of her tribe. I stood there, tears within my eyes.

“My dad releases you from your vow. What have you hidden from me!?” It was meant to be a question, but Awanesa in her old age could feel the rage and anguish also in the question.

“My child, my child, I truly meant you no harm.” She walked slowly to me, tears down her cheeks.

“It was an ancient custom, you were dying from the gunshot wound, your dad on his way to the town. I didn’t even know if it would even work.” I could hear the pain and anguish in her words.

“I buried you in the red dirt, and called upon the spirits. Told them that you and your father were honorable whites that looked out for the tribes here. I pleaded on your father’s behalf to the spirits to heal you. Told them that this was my home now. That this was your home now and you would honor the great tribes in your dealings. The spirits healed you but it came at a cost and your father knew that. As long as you retain this land, honor the tribes that are here now, you will not die or age. This land you will gain your strength from and must always return to it to refresh your vows and energy.” She collapsed crying “I did not want this curse for you, but I wanted your father to be happy as he made me happy.” We both sat there huddled together on our knees crying.

A year before that Sooner Inc. was formed by dad and now it was solely owned by me. Portions of it went to help the tribes of Oklahoma in dealings with the government. Whispers of a vigilante that protected the indian tribes and law abiding folks soon spread. For you see, I found out one fateful day that good people aren’t necessary enough. You need to go beyond the politics and businesses to uphold honor and the law. A female fighter clothed in crimson and cream was there to protect the innocent from the shadows.

A similar young female showed up in France in 1918 to aid the infantry division from Oklahoma. Those years she traded the western hats for steel tin hat to make sure most of the boys came home.

In the 1940s, there were rumors of another young female in crimson and cream fighting alongside the troops from Oklahoma, but this time in Germany.

Another female clad in crimson and cream was seen darting in and out of allied lines around the Oklahoma division in Korea during the 1950s.

The costume changes slightly over the years, but she was still there. Honoring her promise to the tribes and “my home”.

Her “legal” name has changed many times, and her father’s land and company was always “gifted” to a distant young female cousin that bore a striking family resemblance every 15-20 years.

Even she gets tired after a while. The wars, the crime, the injustice, when will it all end.

Miss Branduggar,says the word “Soonerette” out loud unknowingly as she finishes her lecture.

A young female in the first row heard it clearly and as reading her teacher’s mind. “Ma’am, are you saying Soonerette was in the great Land Rush? I thought she and her history was just a myth with her name taken up by the heroine Soonerette. Seriously, I always thought she was an alumni that just stole the name for herself.”

Miss Branduggar, smiled briefly, “And that Jessica, is why I teach Post U.S. History with a team at the University currently researching that very myth to prove once and for all who the Crimson and Cream colored lady was because for some reason it always appears she returns ‘home’ throughout history. Some say she is a myth made up like Uncle Sam for the Army to support the troops, but we have seen in the past 30 years, that there is truly an Uncle Sam from another dimension.”
Beta Babe
Star

Sooner!

I love this story! It is well written and has a Deadlands / The Lone Ranger / Zorro feel. I love the Indian connection for source of powers - and - like Wolverine she travels through time.

Well written. I would like to see more. Happy

Diva

Nice work Sooner Happy

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: