Who's Online
DCUO Announcements
NEW @ DCUO Forums

ThursdayFridaySaturdaySundayMondayTuesdayWednesday
B'Day - Veridian Star
League NewsFeed Icon

No News Is Currently Available

Poll Widget
No poll is currently assigned to this widget.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cara Lace
Cara Lace
Diva

re: Cara Part 21: Sub Mariness- The End Of Days Part III

Metropolis

The city of Mertropolis stands strong and proud in the early morning sunlight as its citizens begin another day. Construction workers still clearing and repairing damage from the Brainiac invasion, or the Anti-Monitor, or the Atlanteans while the citizens head off to work. All are oblivious to the Goddess of Torrents gliding through the water as she enters Metropolis Bay on her way to her stronghold, the Palace Royale. She weaves effortlessly through the derelict Atlantean warships that still litter the waters here with determination.

As she approaches the entrance to her lair, a sudden set of mystical runes appears floating in a circle before her and before she can react, she passes through it. It’s as if reality melts away for an instant and is reshaped before her eyes. Just like that, she finds herself in completely new and unfamiliar surroundings.

“What sorcery is this?” The Sub Mariness demands. In a single breath, Ianeira finds herself dry and comfortable despite having been underwater just seconds before and standing in a large room of some ancient castle or perhaps a monastery. The walls are stone and thick stone columns support the ceiling overhead. Statues of angels and warriors and monsters adorn the perimeter of the room and various artifacts of all shapes and sizes are safely displayed behind glass cases.

“Princess Ianeira…” a strong female voice says from across the room. “Sub Mariness of the Nereides… Goddess of Torrents.”

Turning toward the voice with wary curiosity, Ianeira sees a beautiful woman in flowing black hair hovering in mid air before a large stained glass window on the far side of the room. She is dressed in some sort of magician’s garb, red and blue with yellow accents and a long flowing red cape that seems to move with a mind of its own. The woman floats thru the air on two disks of magical energy beneath her feat to softly land before the Princess of Polaron. Ianeira’s icy green trident appears in her hand and she holds it out before her as the mysterious woman slowly approaches with a smile.

“You can put down the trident. You won’t need it here.” The woman says in a kind and friendly tone.

“I don’t know you magician or why you have brought me here.” Ianeira states bluntly as she continues to hold her trident with its blades pointed at the woman’s head. “Whether or not I lower my weapon depends on who you are and what you want.”

“My name is Phaydrah.” The magician responds looking Ianeira straight in the eye. “I represent the Moonlight Covenant.”

Ianeira stares at the woman for a moment skeptically. She knows of the Moonlight Covenant and its purpose, as it was her sister the queen that created it over five thousand years ago. An order of mortal wizards assembled to be a first line of defense for humanity against others in the universe who would prey on their innocence. Beings like the Olympians who even today masquerade as Gods to manipulate humans into worship or enslavement or good old fashioned cruel and sadistic entertainment.

“You have one minute mortal. What is it you want of me?” Ianeira says finally as her trident disappears once more into thin air.

“Only the answers to some questions, Princess.” Phaydrah says pleasantly. “Please, have a seat.”

Before she can even respond, Ianeira feels a slight breeze and suddenly she finds herself seated in a chair opposite her host. As she glances around Ianeira sees that not only is she seated in a chair but they are now also in an entirely different room though similarly decorated. Between them is a small table with a fresh breakfast of grapefruit and cottage cheese.

“I was about to have some breakfast. Would you like some?” Phaydrah offers.

Curious as she raises her hand to find she is already holding a dainty spoon containing a bite of grapefruit. Ianeira has not yet decided whether to be amused or aggravated. “I don’t eat ‘breakfast’.”

“Well what do you eat?” Phaydrah asks again.

“Not breakfast.” Ianeira responds setting the spoon down. However before it makes it there, Ianeira’s look turns startled for a moment and she raises her hand once more to reveal a large flame broiled hamburger with cheese and all the fixings. She leans in and sniffs it before taking a bite and letting a small indication of delight cross her face for just a second.

“So, after you ‘perished’ defeating Ceto in the Great War, your Queen issued a final mandate to the Covenant. We were to keep the Layline from ever being reconnected to the Earth and to watch over humanity and protect it from cosmic and mystical threats.” Phaydrah explains calmly to the Goddess who sits taking another large bite of her cheeseburger. “The stone you carry triggered our planetary detection spells the moment it entered the atmosphere as one of those threats.”

“This is really very good. What’s it called?” Ianeira asks after swallowing another bite.

“A hamburger.” Phaydrah answers awkwardly, a little surprised at the question.

“It doesn’t taste like ham.” Ianeira asks before taking another bite.

“That’s because it’s beef.” Phaydrah asks, now completely caught off guard by the turn in the conversation.

“Then why is it a ‘hamburger’?” Ianiera responds innocently.

Phaydrah attempts to answer before pausing as she realizes that there isn’t one.

“Anyway, if you are truly of the Midnight Covenant then you know what this stone is, the power it contains and what its purpose is. In the wrong hands it could wreak devastation and Thalea died to bring it to me. Until I find out why, it stays with me.” The Princess finishes before taking another large bite of her hamburger.

“Yes, it’s the only example of concentrated Layline energy in the known universe… the Anchor Stone. It’s what powers the ‘Kuat’ on Polaron, yes? The mechanism you use to access the Layline?” Phaydrah proposes more than asks.

“Yes, it is what keeps the Layline tethered to the Kuat, and Polaron itself. Without it, they cannot open the path to other worlds.” Ianeira replies, swallowing again.

“But the Layline to Earth has been cut for centuries and the Polarans would have no way of knowing of your ‘return’. How would ‘Thalea’ have known to bring the stone here?” Phaydrah ponders.

“That I do not know.” Ianeira admits. “The Layline is the means of travel for many beings you mortals consider ‘Gods’ and I have encountered several since my return. Perhaps ‘news travels fast’, as you mortals say.” She finishes, and then stuffs the last bite of her hamburger in her mouth and smiles as she chews.

As Ianeira swallows the last of her hamburger, she lifts her other hand to suddenly find a clean white napkin in her clutch which she uses to wipe the corner of her mouth as she smiles at her host.

“So, our mutual goal would be to ultimately return the stone and any other parties concerned to Polaron?” Phaydrah asks leaning forward slightly.

“Yes, promptly.” Ianeira answers.

“Great!” Phaydrah says with both excitement and relief. “How can I help?”

“What do you know of a being called ‘Sonnath’?” Ianeira asks with a more serious tone.

“Let’s find out.” Phaydrah says holding up her right hand.

Ianeira feels the slight breeze again and flinches for just a moment as she is now standing on her feet next to Phaydrah before a large table containing stacks of dusty books and parchments of all shapes and sizes scattered on top of it.

“Alright, would you stop doing that?” Ianeira says, annoyed as she wobbles on her feet slightly at the unexpected and sudden change in location.

“Sonnath… Sonnath… I know that name from somewhere...” Phaydrah says while flipping the pages of some ancient book. “The Covenant has watched over the Earth for thousands of years, ever since the Polarans and the Olympians and the other ‘gods’ first came to this realm. One of our primary jobs is to observe and record, so our archives are very extensive.”

“How has the Covenant survived all this time without notice? It seems unlikely, even for an order of magicians, to stay hidden from the outside world for this long.” Ianeira asks skeptically.

“We’re more of an ‘alliance’ now than an ‘order’.” Phaydrah corrects as switches from book to book. “As the world has changed, so have we. Survival now requires much more than just magic and so we have much more than just magicians. Over the centuries, many factions have joined the Covenant with many different skill sets and resources. You would be amazed how well you can stay hidden from the outside world when you are not dependent on it.”

“So if you’ve known about all this for all this time then why haven’t you called me before now?” She asks skeptically.

“We weren’t sure what kind of mental state you would be in after you were freed from the ice.” Phaydrah says turning briefly to look the Princess in the eye. “So we watched and waited, observing you. When we were convinced that you were every bit the Sub Mariness from legend and that you had accepted your situation here on Earth, we decided it would be best to not interfere. Your sister was adamant that the Layline never be reconnected to this realm and we honor her wishes.”

Ianeira sneer becomes a surprised smile as she begins to respect her apparent new friend.

“And you don’t have a phone.” Phaydrah finishes, returning the smile and the respect until her face suddenly turns grim as she suddenly plants her index finger on one of the dusty pages before her. “…This is very bad.”

“What? What have you found?” Ianeira asks anxiously.

“Before you put an end to her, Ceto spent eons in exile from Polaron." Phaydrah explains. "Wandering the universe and apparently… mating. Sonnath is one of her children and described here as one of the possible ‘End of Days’.”

“The End of Days?” Ianeira says almost startled. “The prophesied fall of Polaron?”

“Not just of Polaron, but of everything…” Phaydrah says solemnly looking up from the dusty pages. “…of life as we know it.”

“And the Anchor Stone would give him a path to every inhabited world in the universe.” Ianeira states in a dire tone. “…Somehow, I must return to Polaron.”

To be continued…

Relic / Karman
New Girl

re: Cara Part 21: Sub Mariness- The End Of Days Part III

Very good ;) Can't wait for the next part
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: