Who's Online
DCUO Announcements

FridaySaturdaySundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursday
B'Day - Veridian Star
League NewsFeed Icon

No News Is Currently Available

Poll Widget
No poll is currently assigned to this widget.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Celtic_Frost
Star

re: Celtic's Christmas Chapter 3

Celtic’s Christmas
Chapter 3: A test of Faith

Time: 11:43: PM December 24th, 2018

A small figure burst through the main door, ducking and weaving through the surprised orderly and nurses and raced up to the main security desk panting and out of breath. Her hair was covered in white flakes and her jacket was open and wet as though she just had snow dumped on it. She leaned up towards the security glass and, not seeing anyone, pounded on it with both her fists furiously. Another figure, this one over six feet bolted out of a side room and walked up to the glass with an angry look on his face. He glowered down at the girl.

“Hey kid, just what do you think you’re doing causing a ruckus like this?” He barked

“Please, my brother, Leo Williams, where is he?” Cried the figure desperately

“Look kid, I’m on lunch break so why don’t you come back in 20 minutes and I can find out for you then, ok?” He replied, trying to get back to his now most likely cold deep dish pizza.

“20 minutes may be too late and it takes 20 seconds to look up a patient room, what the hell is wrong with you? Aren’t you human? Don’t you care?” Yelled the girl furiously. She was starting to cry and shake with frustration. All she wanted to do was be with Leo and this fat wanna be cop was more interested in getting even fatter than helping. Two hospital security guards came around the corner, one with a set of plastic restraints clearly visible in his hand and began to walk to over to her.

“Yeah kid I do care but right now, I need to get back to my lunch” The guard turned to walk back to the break room.

“I believe the young woman asked you a question” Said a voice. A voice filled with power. And anger.

“Who the hell do you……”began the guard as he turned around. “Think……you………are…uhhhhhhh” He finished as his vision showed him to whom he was speaking.

She had entered silently and was standing just by the main doors, but her gaze was locked on him and so were the look of the two ravens on her shoulders. Even from across the room he heard her voice as clear as though she was standing right next to him and from the look of frozen shock on everyone else in the room, including the two security guards who were now slowly backing away, it was clear they did too. Something else was also clear as the woman slowly made her way across the room towards the security glass. They were afraid. She walked with the grace of a predator and woe is to her prey.

The woman came to a stop just behind the distraught girl and the raven on her left shoulder fluttered it’s wings and landed on the left shoulder of the now sobbing girl and gave a soft caw in her ear and then made itself comfortable on her should while returning it’s gaze to the man behind the glass who was now turning an interesting shade of pale. The woman laid her hand on the shoulder of the sniffling girl while continuing to look down at the man behind the glass.

I see that Sandra and Derrick Romaine did not teach you manners Jeffery. How very disappointing

The guard backed away slowly while fumbling for words.

“Just how do you know my parents, they were lost on a hiking trip last year and it was only by a freak storm that the cave they were trapped in was even found” He asked.

I know, who do you heard your plea for help and think assisted the search and rescue team?

A low rumble of thunder was heard outside and a bright flash of lightning lit up the street outside. A moment later there was a clap of thunder that followed. But the woman’s gaze never left the man’s eyes as she continued.

What was it you begged for that night? Oh yes “God, if there is a god, please send someone to help save my parents if they are alive and I promise I will change my selfish ways” The man shook with fear and apprehension as he heard his own voice repeat the words he knew he had said in a private room with no one else around. No one could know he spoke those words. No one. And yet they were just said to him.

“No one alive knows what I said that night”

“I do. Because I believe I just said them”

“Just what……..are you. Some kind of God?” The man was visibly sweating now and it was taking a great effort for him to not collapse into a chair. Laying her other hand on the shoulder of the girl and intensifying her gaze on the man the woman replied coldly.

“A friend of Shelly Williams”

The deafening silence that followed as all eyes turned towards the man behind the glass was almost stifling. He slowly began to fumble with the keyboard in front of him.

“Right then….the child’s name again?”

“Leon Parker Alphonse Williams”

“Right then……” The guard began typing.

Shelly’s head whipped around in surprise. The raven on her shoulder flapped its wings to maintain its balance.

“CAW!”

“Sorry” Shelly murmured. This seemed to pacify the raven and it settled in place on her shoulder again.

“Right here we go….Leo Williams. Room two fourteen. You” He pointed at Shelly “Can take the elevator over there.” He looked at the woman behind her. “I’m not sure how you’ll fit in there”

The woman reached up and extended her finger towards her right shoulder and the other raven hopped onto her finger, which she brought down to Shelly’s right shoulder and the raven hopped from her finger to Shelly’s shoulder and got comfortable.

“I will see myself up.” The woman replied. “You two” the ravens cocked their heads and tilted them as though they perfectly understood her. “You know what to do”. Both ravens cawed and adjusted themselves on Shelly’s shoulder. Glancing out of the corner of her eye at them, it looked like both were standing at attention like soldiers before a general.

The woman slowly dissolved into mist and wafted into an air duct in the ceiling. Shelly turned and walked towards the elevators, the two ravens softly cawing on each shoulder. People watched her go, no one saying a word.

Location: Shriner’s Hospital, Boston Massachusetts third floor
Time: 11: 50 PM December 25th, 2018

Amanda Schafer burst through the door, two orderly’s pushing a cart behind her, three nurses following behind them. They quickly encircled a bed on which a young boy was thrashing around like a fish out of water. A flurry of voices exploded in quick succession one after the other as they fought to keep the boy still.

“B/P 102 over 80 and falling….”

“Left Ventricle collapsed and several aortal blockages……”

“300 milliliters of saline STAT and application of Aloe near the needle injection site…..”

“Defibrillator trodes attached, charging…..”

The heart monitor was beeping wildly as several sets of arms snaked their way over the boy as he thrashed wildly.

“Blood pressure now 79 over 50 and falling…..”

“Prepare for electro stimulation if it drops any more….”

“Yes Doctor right away”

“Inject 20 milliliters sodium to stimulate cardio vascular activity”

“Injecting……..no response”

“Again”

“Injecting…….still no response”

“C’mon Leo…..fight…..work with me Leo…..c’mon……C’MON!”

“Blood pressure is….” A telltale single tone pierced the room. Several heads looked over then back to the boy.

“Defibrillator. NOW!”

“Clear!”

There was no response.

“Again!”

“Clear!”

Still no response.

“C’mon Leo, damn it…..C’MON!”

The single tone whine continued. One of the nurses softly reached out to take Amanda’s arm.

“Doc…..he’s gone….”

Amanda grabbed the hand rail of the bed with both hands and squeezed it as hard as she could for a moment before letting out a sigh and slowly releasing the rail.

“Call time of death” she said softly

“Time of death….12:01 am December 25th, 2018”

Amanda turned and leaned towards the wall. She sighed with despair. She had failed. A soft whimper escaped her lips.

“God help me……..”

Unheard by anyone in the room, the elevator doors opened at the end of the hallway.

Time: 11:57 PM December 24th, 2018

As soon as the elevator doors opened, Shelly bolted out into the hallway. She saw Celtic patiently waiting for her by some chairs. Taking her hand tightly, they walked quickly towards room 214. As they approached, a loud commotion assaulted their ears.

“C’mon Leo…..fight…..work with me Leo…..c’mon……C’MON!”

“Blood pressure is….” A telltale single tone pierced the room. Several heads looked over then back to the boy.

“Defibrillator. NOW!”

“Clear!”

There was no response.

“Again!”

“Clear!”

Still no response.

“C’mon Leo, damn it…..C’MON!”

A moment of silence and all Shelly heard was a high pitched whine from inside the room. Then she heard a soft voice.

“Call time of death”

“Time of death….12:01 am December 25th, 2018”

Shelly stopped, frozen, her eyes wide. This could not be happening. Not Leo, not her brother. Slipping out of Celtic’s hand she bolted over to the door, causing the ravens on her shoulder to caw in surprise and dig their claws tighter to maintain balance, and pushed it open with a shove. Stepping in, she took in the scene and a cry of despair escaped her lips.

“LEO!” she cried and darted over to him, pushing people aside in her rush to be next to him.

Celtic followed in a moment later and simply stood by the door in silence. Looking over at the boy in the bed she already saw his spiritual essence departing his physical body, the mist like form slowly rising out of the physical shell in preparation for departure. The only redemption was that it was still almost a pure white. It was assured that he would go to a place of eternal comfort and peace as he had yet to do much evil in the world. But she also knew that another, bigger challenge was in front of her.

Glancing over to Shelly, Celtic saw her essence was in flux. Waves of black, red, purple and indigo were all fighting for dominance at the moment. There was almost no white at all, the small traces of it being suffocated by the maelstrom swirling within her essence.

Shelly began to shake Leo as though trying to wake him up.

“Leo…..Leo its Shelly….I’m here…..I’m here” She shook him frantically, shaking him from side to side.

But there was no response. Her cries grew more frantic and desperate and Celtic saw her essence slowly become filled with nothing but indigo, red and black as she turned away from Leo and looked at Amanda with a face that caused her to step back in surprise.

“You did this” Shelly said coldly “You did this to him. You” She was shaking with barely suppressed rage, her fists clenching and unclenching several times.

“I….I’m sorry, I did everything I….Amanda stammered before a resounding SMACK was heard and Amanda felt herself knocked to the floor. She felt her cheek burning in several places and as she reached up with her left hand, it came away with several streaks of blood. Shelly had struck her with an open hand, raking her nails deep into her face.

“I cannot let her go down the same path as I did” Celtic thought to herself as she observed the purple, black and indigo in Shelly’s essence intensify in brightness and strength. “I have to do something”

Shelly did not notice as she leaped on the doctor tackling her to the ground and clamping her hands around her throat and squeezing as her rage exploded out of her like a dam finally burst open, releasing all the water behind it. The two ravens leaped off her shoulders and perched on a chair in the far corner of the room.

“You bitch, you let him die! I’ll kill you. I’LL KILL YOU!” Shelly screamed as her hands clamped down harder around the doctors throat before she felt herself gently lifted off and carefully restrained in a pair of arms. She thrashed violently in them, trying to do something, anything, to get loose and once again get her hands on the person who took her brother from her.

“Let me go! LET ME GO!” Shelly screamed, thrashing from side to side.

Setting Shelly on her feet, Celtic took her shoulders in both hands and shook her softly.

“Come to your senses, what do you think Leo would say if he saw you acting like this?”

As once Celtic saw the black, red and indigo drain from Shelly’s essence like bathwater going down a drain and replaced with a bright pink. Celtic mentally sighed with relief. She had been in time. Now all that was left was to help Shelly find her own path. She would not, could not, let Shelly walk the same path of darkness she, herself, started to walk down all those untold eons ago.

“He would be ashamed of me.”

“I think that is an accurate observation”

Shelly looked up at Celtic, tears flowing from her eyes.

“Are you ashamed of me?” She asked, her lips quavering

“No”

Wrapping her arms around Celtic’s waist Shelly gave in. Her wails of despair flowed from the depths of her being, pouring out in a river of emotion cascading form her mouth in a torrent of emotion. Celtic kneeled down and wrapped her arms around her, placing her head on her shoulder where Shelly buried her face in her neck and cried until she had no more tears.

“It’s not fair” She wailed in despair.

“I know”

“It’s just not fair”

“I know”

Looking up Celtic looked at the doctor and the rest of the people in the room for a quick moment before speaking directly to the doctor’s mind in a voice only Amanda could hear.

“Please excuse the injury Shelly gave you, I will take care of that before we leave, but for now, could you give us some privacy? Shelly wishes to grieve alone”

Amanda nodded and motioned for everyone to file out. Unplugging the equipment, the two were left in silence.

“Celtic?” Shelly whispered

“Yes Shelly?”

“Do you think Leo is….you know….in heaven?”

“He is”

A thought came to Shelly’s mind as she looked up at the woman who was looking down at her with caring and kind eyes.

“The man downstairs called you some kind of God. Are you?”

Celtic thought a moment. She knew this would come up eventually. But Shelly did deserve to know and this was the best time for her to find out. She could draw strength from it and use that strength to forge her own destiny.

“To the people that believe in the ancient Pagan and Nordic religions, Yes, I am”

“Then, if you ARE a god, why could you not save Leo?” She whimpered and buried her head back in her neck, clinging to her tightly.

“Because no one is perfect Shelly”

“Not even you?”

“No Shelly, not even me”

“But Leo was all I had. Now I don’t have anyone”

“You’ve got The Justice Girls and you have me”

Shelly broke away and looked at Celtic with wide open eyes, her bottom lip quavering.

“Do you really mean that?”

“Yes, if that is what you want”

Shelly threw herself at Celtic and wrapped her arms around her in a hug.

“Yes………yes” she whispered softly, trying to hug Celtic as tight as she could. Fresh tears began to flow but they were not tears of rage or anger, but happiness and belonging.

“Celtic?”

“Yes Shelly?”

“I’m sorry”

“I know”

“I promise to make you proud of me”

“I know”

Shelly clung to Celtic tightly, letting fresh sobs of happiness flow. Outside a soft rain began to fall, slowly becoming a heavy downpour. Celtic wrapped her arms around Shelly and held her tight.

Shelly was crying in her way, Celtic was doing the same in her own.

End of Chapter 3

Coming soon: Chapter 4 Comfort in the Cold
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: