Who's Online
DCUO Announcements

FridaySaturdaySundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursday
B'Day - Veridian Star
League NewsFeed Icon

No News Is Currently Available

Poll Widget
No poll is currently assigned to this widget.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Betty Bedrock
Luna Vestara
New Girl

re: DCUO Begins at 30...

...or Luna's Thoughts on Playing Post-Leveling Content
---------------------------------------------------------

Man, these siestas keep getting longer and longer (10 points for the person who can guess the reference I paraphrased)....

For those that may not remember, I wrote a guide on getting your player to Level 30 without even finishing all of the content. If you have not seen it, check it out here (where I posted in the wrong location:

http://justicegirlsdc.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9932472&gid=211485 ).

Refreshed? Good, so am I...

Towards the end of the guide, I said that XP doesn't matter once you hit Level 30; it's all about the SP (Skill Points). Well, I lied a little bit; there is another huge factor, but we will get to it.

As always, what I have written below is what has worked for me. This does not mean it will work for you if you like a different style. That said, I just ran the mid-level stuff on 10 toons in the past 11 days with repeatable success...

Once you hit level 30, it's as if Willy Wonka has opened the Chocalate Factory for you to play in. So many things are available at once -- however, much like puberty, just because new things are happening, doesn't mean you are ready for them.

First off, know the following at all times as you will be asked ALL THE TIME;

1) Role (troll, heal, tank, dps) -- note that JG/JGD says bunny instead of troll when talking to each other...

2) CR -- Combat Rating

3) Vitalization -- If you are a bunny, you will be asked this. This helps determine who will be what type of bunny for the mission.

For those that don't know, CR is how strong your armor and weapons are making you. Weak armor and weapon -- weak toon; strong armor and weapon -- Shazam/Black Adam is puny god next to you.

Often people wanting to group will indicate what level CR they are seeking. If you want to be able to team up with lots of people, make sure to never break the following two rules:

1) Be honest about your CR -- if you lie and it is in relation to restricted content, they will see it instantly and you will be booted from the group. Plus they will remember you as a stinking liar...

2) Be honest about your role -- Your powerset determined what other role you could do besides DPS. If you have not practiced it, just sign up for DPS roles. That doesn't mean hide from it forever; just be aware of what you are signing up for.

When wanting to join a group, send a tell to the player. I use the following format so they do not have to ask a bunch of questions:

cr xx power role here

So if Luna was responding, I would send "cr 102 elec healer here"

Now, back to CR....

When you hit Level 30, chances are your CR is not good. Armor and weapons have 3-4 colors:

Green -- basic, thrift store level
Blue -- middle of the road, Macy's/Dillard's/Jc Penney
Purple -- super nice, SAKs/Neiman Marcus
Orange -- Rodeo Drive stores (i.e. Pretty woman)

At this point, most people have a mix of green and blue. The occasional Purple might be here. All armor has a colored socket: red, Yellow, Blue. This allows for Mods based on different stats:

Dominance (Dom) -- Blue
Health -- Blue
Might -- Red
Power -- Yellow
Precision -- Red
Restoration (Resto) -- Yellow
Vitalization (Vit) -- Yellow

Now modding and choosing mods is a topic for another day and another author more well versed than me on it. That said, you should still understand it has an effect on your CR. The right mod could jump you as much as 2 CR; the wrong mod could be a waste of precious resources.

Players will refer to content in one of 3 ways: tier level, CR level, or abbreviated names. If you are unsure of any of the references, hit Y and the listings will help you. I tend to not worry about Tier, which drives some people crazy; I focus on name and CR.

While DCUO is technically free-to-play, you won't get far without spending some real-world money, either

in a subscription or by buying individual DLCs. That is a decision for each person to make, but realize

that a majority of what is written after this assumes having the correct DLC available.

When figuring out content and advancing your character in CR, these are the milestones to worry about (as of today):

Initial -- Opens up Tier 1 solos, duos, and alerts

34 -- Opens up Smallville alert

43 -- Opens up Tier 2 content (Batcave raids, Khandaq, Oan DLC, Flashback Duo, Battle for Earth DLC Duos, solos)

50 -- Opens up FOS content

53 -- Opens up Tier 3 Content (Courthouse, Lightning Strikes DLC, advanced alerts, League of Assassins, Last Laugh DLC, Advanced Duos, Advanced solos)

70 -- Opens up Tier 4 Content (Home Turf DLC, Hand of Fate DLC, rest of Battle for Earth DLC, advanced Batcave alert)

80 -- Opens up Tier 5 Solos (Huntress, Bizarro)

84 -- Opens up some Tier 5 content (Wastelands DLC solos and duos, War of Light 1 DLC 4-man ops, Origin Crisis DLC ops)

85 -- Opens up War of Light 1 8-man Ops

86 -- Opens up Tier 5 Content (Origin Crisis DLC raids, Wastelands DLC alert)

99 -- Opens up Amazon Fury 1 DLC solos (Circe, Wonder Woman)

100 -- Opens up Tier 6 Content (Amazon Fury DLC, Halls of Power DLC)

Now those are the technical levels -- what should you focus on hitting?

43, 53, 70, 84, 99, 100 -- everything else is a bonus...

Think back to what I wrote about leveling up in the other article. Just because you hit a threshold doesn't mean you can handle what is behind the door...

Use the Tier 1 content to do 2 things: start generating MoT (marks of triumph) and learning your specialty role. At this level, most people don't care if you screw up. Figure out what works and what doesn't. Otherwise, you will end up like one toon of mine at CR 102 that had to be respecced completely to figure out a better DPS option. Remember to keep grabbing feats -- those will get you SPs that become valuable in making your weapons better.

Now, a side note on SP: If this is an alt to a powerful toon you have, you could spend a bunch of replay badges to get the SPs immediately. That is your choice, but replay badges will cost real money for you at some point. If you know a feat is easy, don't waste the replay badges.....

Back to the main topic...

By upgrading armor with what you grab in T1 content, your CR should start growing. I would still not worry about modding it, as you will spend more in resources than long-term benefits. Also be smart about changing armor -- it may be better to not use a piece and sell it on the broker versus using it for minimal gain. As you hit 43, start doing the T2 content available. Again it will be tough if you haven't done the fights before. Just accept the butt-kicking and learn from it.

While you can buy iconic armor in the HQ, do so with a thought of buying what you need to get to next level of CR. Remember, MoT is the coind of the realm for armor and you don't want to feel like you have wasted it...

CR 53 is where things get interesting for me, and make the grinding pretty easy. Now the following strategy is based on maximizing content reward while minimizing time actually spent playing...

1) Go to Central City and start doing the two reaper solo dailies. Skip the the chase solo -- Chasing the fatties is long, frustrating, and only yields 20 MoT. Use it only if you need that little bump.

2) Do the following Duos daily, as the rewards and armor drops will help you while not taking a lot of time (3 bottled Duos, flashback, shady nightclub/police station). Some high-CR players will play these alot to collect styles and most do not care if you are underpowered...

3) Do the following alerts daily (Sciencells, STAR Labs, Courthouse)

4) Start modding equipment rated 60 or higher with synth mods from Central City (125 MoT per mod). Sure you can make your own, but if you are doing steps 1-3, then this will be quicker. As you get closer to 70, be more thoughtful about whether to buy the synth mod. If the gear is rated 78 or better, then I will switch to Synth IV mods (625 MoT). At that point, the MoT is coming in at a higher rate.

Once you hit 70, the game really opens up to content that most everyone seems ok playing regardless of levels. Use the Bot bounties to help get you into mid-70s. Gates is a great way to get even into the upper 70s. Hand of Fate ops will also get you good gear. If you are able, volunteer for those spots.

To get to 84 and higher, rinse and repeat. Doing the raven bounty will jump your CR by collecting all of the gear, so if you can run it with a group several tims in one sitting -- do so. It is well worth the replay badges.

If you made it this far, congrats. Hopefully you found some good tips and foundations to making your own CR-growing strategy. Have fun out there...

Luna Vestara, Heloise Villefort, Charity Tonun -- Justice Girls Dark (Villains)

Rose Acrimony -- Justice Girls (Heroes)

Zane Thanatos, Hannibal Nike, Sam Bakula, Colonel Knightro -- Helix Enterprise (Heroes)

Alia Beckett, Lily Death, Trent Roogna -- Ultra Industries (Villains)

Mercy Nomoore -- TheYellowLanternCorps (Villains)

Mr Forklift -- Free Agents (Heroes)

Unaffiliated Heroes -- Edmond Dantes, Dee Chameleon, Captain Atabal, Pym Maximus

Unaffiliated Villains -- Betty Bedrock, Cardinal Outrage, Bambi Blaze
Florida Fury
New Girl

re: DCUO Begins at 30...

Great write-up, hard to find up-to-date info on some of this stuff. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: