ThursdayFridaySaturdaySundayMondayTuesdayWednesday
B'Day - Veridian Star
League NewsFeed Icon

No News Is Currently Available

Poll Widget
No poll is currently assigned to this widget.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scarlet Morrigan
Scarlet Morrigan
Star

re: SM Presents: Hecatee pt 10

Hecatee, part 10: Mystical & Exobyte powers
DC Comics characters are property of DC Comics

She appeared inside the Hall of Doom. It had been a while since she had been here. At least these technological transporters did not make her feel sick like when Baal transported her. She began to walk towards the magic wing so she could go home, when Calculator said “Dr. Sivana needs to see you for a few minutes. It won’t hurt… much”.

Hecatee had to stop and activate her HUD. She closed her eyes for a few seconds and then opened them. The display showed the location of Dr Sivana in the magic wing. As she began to walk that direction, she saw a familiar face. It was her grandfather Baal. “I have been looking for you” he said, as he gave the young woman a hug.

“you would not believe the day I had” she replied

“Oh I know exactly what your day was like. Remember that I can sense you, little one”

“Then why didn’t you come rescue me? I know you could have taken out those robots” she screamed, frustrated that he had not helped her.

“I would have, if I had been able too.”

“But why didn’t you?” she yelled. “I could have died. I am not immortal like you – I had to fight for my life”

“Mystical powers and Technology do not mix. I could not use my mystical energy to transport through the tech shield around those ships. If it were possible, I would have come for you.”

“then why are you here?”

“I wanted to check on you, too make sure that you were safe. I have learned of this Brainiac from others like myself. He has destroyed countless planets and killed billions of sentient life forms around the multiverse. I will help to fight this Brainiac and prevent him from taking over this planet. It is your home, and I will do everything I can to keep you safe”.

Hecatee looked into the bright blue eyes of her supernatural grandfather. She could see that he was upset that he could not protect her from what happen. She could also see that he would do anything for her. She began to feel bad for yelling at him for not rescuing her. She threw her arms around him, because after all he was her grandfather and she loved him. Baal looked down at the young woman in his arms. He knew that if she had survived the events of the day, she was going to be more than able to take care of herself. She had come a long way from that little girl in the park. “Would you like to go get something to eat” he asked.

“Maybe later. They say I have to go see Dr Sivana before I go home”

“What must you speak to that pervert?”

“What?” she exclaimed

“He is known for being a bit unethical in his practices and his part in creating the abominations know as Four Horsemen of Apokolips. The idea that they could make living incarnations of such powerful beings….” Baal stopped, because he realized he was starting to rant. “Be careful with him, and do not trust him”.

“I think I understand” she said, now nervous about seeing him. She had seen him in the nightclub in Gotham or in the Hall of Doom, but have never had any reason to deal with him before now. “Stop by my place sometime, it is not nearly as empty as when you saw it. And maybe we could have a bite to eat and catch up?”

“I would enjoy that. I will try to visit the next time I am in Metropolis. But I must be on my way to Coast City. There is something I need to find there. Be safe, little one.” And in a sparkle of fire, he was gone.

Hecatee made her way to the armory to see Dr Sivana. He was a funny looking little man, but a brilliant geneticist. As she approached the Doctor, she could see that he was scanning the people standing in line. She took her place in line and waited her turn. Finally she stood before the Doctor, “Calculator said you needed to see me?”

“You are one of the ones to escape from the harvester ships, yes?”

“Yes I did”

“Have you noticed any changes recently, maybe control over ice or fire?”

“No” she answered.

“Very well. I have invented a scanner that can read the information stored on the exobyte that you have been infected with. Let’s give it a try” he said as he began to wave the scanner over her body. It was like one of those metal detector wands they use at the airport. As he did, the terminal next to him began to beep and the screen flash.

When he had finished waving his baton over her, he turned to look at the screen. “Interesting. During your escape from ship, did you pick up a weapon?”

“Yes, why?” she replied to the man with the small round glasses

“I bet of all the possible things you could have used for a weapon, it was a bow and arrows. Am I correct?”

“hmmm, yes”

“Of course it was. It seems you have been infected by an exobyte with data on Arthur King. Do you know who that is?”

“hmm, no”

“Arthur is also called Merlyn the Magnificent. Does that name ring any bells in that pretty little head of yours?”

“still nothing” she said, slightly offended that he commented on her looks

“He is a skilled archer and master assassin. His skill with a bow is on par with that annoying Green Arrow. He is also skilled in hand to hand combat as well. He worked with the League of Assassins and the Injustice Society before coming The Society. This explains why you picked up the bow and quiver on the ship”

Hecatee said “I was a little shocked at how fast and accurate I was with it. I had never shot one of those before, but it felt so natural”

The scientist interrupted her, “It seems your exobyte might have been modified. It is not just Merlyn’s data, it has flight ability data on it as well. Have you been flying?”

“Yes, but I thought it was just part of my normal powers. I thought it was another power manifesting itself in a time of crisis.”

“You had powers before being exposed to the exobytes” he asked

“Yes, mystical powers”.

“Really?” said the genius inventor, as he started pushing buttons on the terminal keyboard

Hecatee realized that maybe she had said too much. He kept muttering to himself as the data flashed on the screen and he continued to type away. Abruptly he spun around and looked at the girl in amazement, “You are not completely human, are you?”

Hecatee was suddenly very nervous. She was not sure how to answer that, and she did not want to explain it to anyone. “What are you talking about?” she exclaimed

“The scan says your DNA….. it is not normal. Well not normal for someone who is just a plain human. It does not look alien, like a Kryptonian. It is something else. I mean you look normal, like a human. But you genetic makeup is different.” He turned to a small table that was nearby, on it was a tray on medical instruments. He picked up a syringe, and turned toward Hecatee.

“what is that for” the young woman asked

“I must have a sample of your blood…. your DNA” he said as he reached for her

Hecatee raised her hands and said “I don’t think so” as the mystical energy inside her surged in her hands. The man in the lab coat stumbled backwards and caught himself. At that moment, her earpiece beeped. She reached up and pushed the button, “This is Hecatee”

“It’s Calculator. I need you in the Sabotage Chamber”

Hecatee turned to the doctor, “Calculator says I gotta go. Nice chatting with you”. She floated off the ground.

Dr Sivana turn and smashed a button on the terminal and yelled “Calculator, I am not done with this one yet”

Calculator’s rough voice came back through the terminal and sternly asked “Is she healthy?”

“yes”

“and is the exobyte technology inside her stable?”

“yes”

“well then I need her. Hecatee, report to the Sabotage Chamber. Now.”

Hecatee said “on my way” and away from the crazy little mad scientist she flew. When she got to the Sabotage Chamber, no one was there – no one who was looking for her. She pushed the button on her earpiece to redial the last call.

“Calculator here”

“I am here” she said. “what’s up?”

“You owe me one”

“what?” questioned the sorceress. She did not like the idea of being in anyone’s debt

“You know I am all about information. And when Cole Turner showed up three months ago with you, of course I looked into your background. You were somewhat of a mystery and it took a lot of digging. There was no record of you for several months before you turned up in Metropolis with the good lawyer. Then I found a court record in Greece where our Mr Turner was representing an orphan. Any of this sound familiar?“

Hecatee knew that if Calculator was telling her this he probably knew more so lying was not really going to work. “A little” she replied

“I could not figure out why he had taken the case. I spent a lot of time looking into you, and it did not make sense. Then I found it, a medical record. There was a picture of what was listed as a birthmark. It was obviously not just a birthmark. A little more digging and I was able to tie you to your grandfather, Baal”

Hecatee was shocked. This guy was good, and he knew all about her. And her grandfather, and his true identity. She waited for the other shoe to drop.

Calculator continued “I was monitoring Dr Sivana’s terminal during your check up. Just because that crazy little bastard is on our side does not mean I trust him. I could not let him realize that you were part demon, or eternal being, or whatever is politically correct today. He would have made a guinea pig out of you.”

Hecatee felt relieved that her secret was still mostly a secret. But she was still unsure why the master of all information had rescued her. “Thanks, I guess”

“It is simple. If Dr Sivana had confined you and started playing with your DNA, your grandfather would have been very upset. And you don’t ever want to see him angry. And if he ever found out I could have stopped it and didn’t……. let’s just say I enjoy being alive too much to ever let that happen.”

The beautiful young sorceress said “I realize you didn’t do it for me, but to save your own hide. But thanks again.”

“Lex needs something hacked” and the tech genius hung up.

Hecatee walked back to the Magic wing of the Hall of Doom and took the transporter back to Sheeda’s Den and walked home. She plopped down on the couch and grabbed the menu of the Chinatown Cafe. She thought “maybe tonight I can just eat some food and watch some tv”.
Because after all, isn’t that what normal people do – and all Hecatee ever wanted was to be normal.

Beep beep went her earpiece. She pushed the button and said “This is Hecatee”

The raspy voice on the other end said “This is Calculator. We have problem”

Hecatee thought “so much for normal”. Then she smiled and thought “who really wants to be normal anyway”

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: