Who's Online
DCUO Announcements
NEW @ DCUO Forums

ThursdayFridaySaturdaySundayMondayTuesdayWednesday
B'Day - Veridian Star
League NewsFeed Icon

No News Is Currently Available

Poll Widget
No poll is currently assigned to this widget.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beta Babe
Star

re: Beta Chronicles - Chapter Two

Beta Chronicles Comic Intro

From her past
she travels across space and time
to protect our future

To defend us from the unknown
To stop the unseen
This is her story

You are entering…The Beta Chronicles

Prelude

What began with the Guardians as a circle of friendship has now become and arena of force. Green Lanterns surround Olara on all sides – their orders – take her in.

How did it come to this? Why won’t the guardians listen to me. They think I killed Quargon, one of their own in cold blood – and somehow I am responsible for the carnage on Menos!

Olara surveys her opponents – escape, evasion, survival is her goal. Her body tenses as her power surges through her armor preparing to unleash her electro -atomic might.

Olara closes her eyes to awaken her senses around her – then slowly she opens them – stares down her adversaries – and prepares for combat.

Chapter Two – Flight of the Horizon

Silence…tense silence. While the guardians look down from above both sides are in standoff waiting for the other to move.

Then suddenly four lanterns swoop in to grab Olara. Olara pivots and sends out intense bolts of electromagnetic energy dropping the lanterns in mid-flight.

Olara then quickly swivels and generates an electromagnetic ball which encases her in a protective shell stopping the ranged attacks of yet more lanterns.

Electric pulse beams counter the lanterns attack using their own ring constructs as the conduit of their attack path.

Concern fills the faces of the Guardians – this alien is winning – perhaps they underestimated her.

Guardian Krevon: (To His Scribe) Call in more lanterns! We need them here! Now!

The scribe sends out the alert to all lanterns on OA – their message – defend the guardians at all cost.

Olara’s face fills with horror as she sees the Oan sky fill with Emerald Lights all heading her way.

(Olara thinking to herself) There is no way I can defeat all of that! I will have to out run them. Olara quickly calculates an escape path that has the best chance of success as….

WHOOM!
WHOOM!
WHOOM!
WHOOM!
WHOOM!

Five familiar faces land around Olara. The faces of Arisia Rrab, Tsalu Amari, Kilowag, Laira Omoto, and Hal Jordan.

Olara hesitates when she sees them.

Then with a mighty crash Lanterns without number form an iron circle around the council chambers.

Arisia, Tsalu, Kilowag, and Laira form and Emerald Sphere protecting themselves and Olara within.

Kilowag: “Calm down everyone and don’t be poozers – Jordan’s got something to say – let the man speak.”

Hal Jordan: (Looking at the Guardians)
What’s going on here? What is this madness all about?

Guardian Gurion: “Lantern Jordan – we appreciate you arriving so quickly – we need you to take this alien into custody – we have voted to try her for her crimes on Menos!”

Hal Jordan: (Looking at Gurion) “Crimes on Menos!?! Are you insane? Olara is the Hero of Menos.”

Guardian Sayd: “Hero of Menos? Please explain further Lantern Jordan.”

Hal Jordan: (Looking at Sayd) “Olara helped me find Tsalu Amari who had been killed by Quargon Brax.

I died soon after I found out that Quargon was the architect of a plot to plunge sectors 2816 & 2817 into intergalactic war.”

Guardian Sayd: “Why would Quargon do such a thing?”

Hal Jordan: “Because Quargon had gone rogue and was now a Yellow Lantern with plans to place both sectors under his fear control.”

Guardian Quaros: “How did he hope to accomplish this?”

Hal Jordan: “Well Olara could tell you better – but as I understand it a General of the Menoan Army and an Admiral from Swora where key conspirators in Quargon’s plan.

He promised them position, wealth, and power if they helped him. But you should already know this – I put these details in my mission report to the council.”

Guardian Krevon: “Report? I have not seen this report – have any of you?”

Krevon looks at the other Guardians who throw blank stares back at him. All Guardians except one – Gurion – who looks down at Jordan then turns to the other Guardians.

Guardian Gurion: “Lantern Jordan’s report seemed very incomplete and biased in his findings. I felt it important for the truth to come out naturally in a review by the council.”

Guardian Krevon: “You withheld evidence from this council?”

Guardian Gurion: “No….not really…I mean…I meant to share this information once we came to a consensus on this aliens guilt or innocence.”

Guardian Zalla: “Quargon was admitted to the core by you was he not Gurion?”

Guardian Gurion: “Yes…that is true.”

Guardian Zalla: “And was he not a favorite amongst those you sponsored?”

Guardian Gurion: “I suppose you could say so…but I don’t see why…

Guardian Krevon: (looking at the Guardians)

“I think we are all beginning to see Gurion. Quargon is an embarrassment now. Your ego demanded damage control and perhaps some shifting of blame.”

Guardian Gurion: “That’s not true! I would never condemn an innocent – she did kill Quargon – she admits it – she admits it!”

Guardian Krevon: “Gurion…you are removed from these proceedings. Your standing within the council will be reviewed at a later time.”

Gurion looks at Krevon in shock and then to the other Guardians. All the Guardians look back at Gurion with displeasure and disdain.

1 Hour Later….

Council chambers have returned to normal. Olara has explained all the events that occurred on Menos to the Guardians satisfaction.

Only Hal Jordan has remained behind to assist Olara and aid the proceedings.

Guardian Byrusi: “Commander Varu…we still…know very little about you…and nothing about your mission. Could you please inform the council?”

Olara: “I come from the future. Our scientists observed the destruction of Earth via a spatial effect called the Andromeda Paradox.

This discovery launched a planetary debate amongst the Zeskons and an investigation into Earth’s potential time permutations.

Guardian Paalko: “Why the debate? Why the interest in Earth?”

Olara: “Our origins go back to Earth very early in our evolutionary development. We consider the Terrans inter-galactic cousins.”

Guardian Quaros: “What did the investigation reveal?”

Olara: “That Earth will undergo three catastrophic events which will lead to her destruction and the end of the human race without our intervention.”

The Guardians look at each other in shock.

Guardian Zalla: “This revelation is most sobering. But I am at a loss for why we as Guardians are not aware of such events?”

Olara: “I mean no disrespect when I say politely that you do not have the technology nor the capacity to travel, interpret, or monitor time.”

The Zeskons are a scientific race of explorers who can travel through spacetime and interdimensional planes of existence.”

Guardian Sayd: “Are you calling us dumb?”

Olara: “There is a vast difference between stupidity and awareness. I am simply saying the Guardians are not AWARE of the situation – I have the upmost respect for this council and the Core.”

Guardian Krevon: “Your enlightenment to this council leaves us with several questions.”

Hal Jordan: “I think you should start at the beginning Olara and explain it like you did to me.” Hal takes a moment to look at Olara and smiles with a loving look.

Olara returns the affection in a smile of her own, closes her eyes, and remembers.

Olara: We were all so honored to be a part of this mission. Each of us had been handpicked and verified through time analysis as the best hope for earth.
The debates were over…the decisions made…all we knew for sure was that without our help…their world was dying.

(FLASHBACK) SPACE IN A DISTANT FUTURE PAST

Olara opens her eyes to scan her monitors and view the distant Black Hole before her…MB 9079-A.

Forum Image

Dark, ominous, beautiful. Majestically it stretches across the vastness of space silhouetted by a nearby galaxy and the light and cosmic mass straining to escape it.

Commander Varu: “Flight, this is Horizon…we are getting readings from the singularity…transmitting data to you now.”

Flight: “We read you Horizon…stand by to initiate Stage One on our mark.”

Commander Varu: “Affirmative flight, conducting stage one analysis now.”

OMNI*: “Commander, the singularity is larger than we expected…approximately 31 billion times the mass of our sun.”

*Omni, Omnipresent Metaphysical Navigational Intelligence – created by the Zeskon space program for the study, analysis, navigation, and computational functions required for travel in Spacetime.

Commander Varu: “That is good news right OMNI? The larger the Black Hole the more even the gravimetric stress and pull – right?”

OMNI: “That is true commander…however… the singularity’s gravitational influence is already upon us – beginning compensational navigation adjustments now.”

Costerian: “Navigation acknowledges and concurs…charting new coordinates into the singularity.”

Joxun: “Helm confirms – standing by for course change.”

Commander Varu: “Course confirmed – take us in Jox.”

Joxun: “Aye Commander.”

Flight: “Horizon…your data and flight path looks good. The readings from MB 9079-A are impressive but flight recommends caution. The gravimetric pull and time distortions are higher than any we have ever seen.”

Commander Varu: “Copy flight. Crew…secure helmets and activate your suits…prepare for Quantum transition.”

Zimeon: “Engineering confirms Quantum engines are online and standing by.”

Joxun: “Helm acknowledges.”

Commander Varu: “Doctor please confirm Command Crew Suit status.”

Ameris: “Monitors show all suits sealed and activated.”

OMNI: “All except one Commander. Dr. Reon your suit has not yet been activated.”

Ameris: “Activating suit now…sorry these readings are fascinating.”

Commander Varu: (Small Giggle) “Understood Doctor, don’t worry you will have plenty of time to analyze your readings later.”

OMNI: “Commander crew is ready. Gravitational stress on the hull is increasing.”

Commander Varu: “Flight, Horizon is standing by to initiate Stage one on your mark.”

Flight: “Copy Horizon. Initiate Stage One in 5…4…3…2…1…Mark”

Zimeon: “Activating Quantum Field.”

Across the ship a wave of pulsing blue energy surges transforming the hull of the Horizon from a metallic to a transparent quantum energy state.

Commander Varu: “Flight, Horizon has achieved Quantum and our readings indicate hulls stress and gravitational pull have lowered to normal parameters.”

Flight: “Flight confirms…all systems are go for entering Stage Two.”

Commander Varu: “Zim, standby to switch propulsion from main engines to quantum engines.”

Zimeon: “Engineering is ready and standing by.”

Commander Varu: “Crew prepare for the Event Horizon…OMNI…how do our readings look?”

OMNI: “Time differential is significantly stronger than anticipated by a factor of four. Re-calculations and compensation will be critical to mission success.”

Commander Varu: “Esa are the Quantum Drives ready? We will need to initiate them as soon as we hit the Horizon.”

Esa: “Technical reports Quantum Drives are ready Commander – receiving updated data from OMNI on time differential now.”

Commander Varu: “Flight Horizon is a go for Stage Two.”

Flight: “Copy Horizon. Initiate Stage Two in 5…4…3…2…1…Mark”

The crew are pushed back in their seats as the ship lurches forward under the power of the quantum engines.

Zimeon: “Main Engines off…quantum engines engaged.”

Forum Image

Xel: “Commander, Tactical reports the cosmic radiation readings from the singularity are higher than expected. I recommend a 20% increase to shields.”

Commander Varu: “Confirmed Tactical.”

Xel: “Increasing shields to compensate for cosmic radiation.”

Esa: “Re-Calibrated Spatial coordinates are entered into the Quantum Drives – Technical prepared for Time Shift.”

Costerian: “Navigation Confirms”

Joxun: “Helm Confirms”

Flight: “Horizon you are authorized to enter Stage Three on your mark.”

OMNI: “Commander, we are e n t e r i n g t h e e v e n t h o r i z o n n o w.”

Time quickly slows relative to the actions of the crew. The environment of the ship begins to bend and blur as time itself is yielding to the ultimate gravitational force in all the universe.

Without the quantum drives the ship and crew of the Horizon would be trapped forever within it’s grasp.

Commander Varu: “E..n..g..a..g..e……..q….u….a….n….t….u….m……d……r..….i......v..….e…...s......i……n……5…..4……3……2……1……Mmmm……..aaaa……..rrrr……..kkkk.”

Suddenly time snaps back as the Quantum Drives kick in.

Flight: “Horizonthisisflightwe acknowledgeyourmark andread yourspeed andcourse settling.”

Commander Varu: “Rogerflight, preparingfor finalentry of the Black Hole.”

OMNI: “Incoming Message from the Prime on Zeskiri.”

Commander Varu: “Place on all view screens OMNI and feed the audio throughout the ship.”

Initially the video is blurred and the audio garbled but quickly OMNI strengthens the reception signal.

Prime: “Horizon…this message is being broadcast across all planets in every system our people inhabit.

Today…….this moment……all of us are with you. Inside each of us we know this mission will present the gravest of challenges.

Suddenly Cameras activate throughout the ship sending a live feed back to the home planet for re-broadcast to all Zeskon systems.

The seven members of the command crew are shown on screen prominently as the Prime continues his speech.

Yet, for the first time in our history we are able to give back the precious gift of life our mother planet gave us so very long ago.

As you prepare to enter the black night on a perilous journey unparalleled by our species - we know it is with great pride and courage you make this noble ascent.”

“Your sacrifice for us and for Earth will never be forgotten. May the grace of the heavens and the spirit of our people be with you always.

For Venus*”

*For Venus: A reference to the loss of the Zeskons first interplanetary home in the Sol System during the Dregari War and the desire to find a way to restore her to her former beauty.

The Command Crew: “For Venus.”

Cameras deactivate as the crew takes a moment to acknowledge what just happened and realize its historical significance.

OMNI: “75 seconds to zero mark Commander.”

Forum Image

(Olara begins flipping several switches activating additional consoles).

Commander Varu: “Esa, I need drive control to pilot us in.”

Esa: “Technical turning over drive control.”

Commander Varu: “Xel, I am reading our radiation levels still rising – enhance shielding another 10%”

Xel: “Aye Commander shield integrity has been increased.”

Commander Varu: “Doctor, how does the crews vitals look?”

Ameris: “Elevated but within mission standards.”

Commander Varu: “Navigation, Helm, I have entered our final course please confirm.”

Costerion: “Navigation confirms.”

Joxun: “Helm confirms.”

Commander Varu: “Engineering, full power to quantum engines.”

Zimeon: “Engineering confirms full power.”

Commander Varu: “OMNI, send open transmission and data stream to home world.”

Olara increases the thrust of the engines accelerating the Horizon towards the center of the Black Hole. While the force of gravity has been a constant presence it now pushes significantly on the crew making it extremely difficult to move in their seats.

The Horizon begins to shudder under the increasing forces placed upon her as she leaves the event horizon for the total darkness of the singularity itself.

Commander Varu: “Increasing thrust to final stage….

(The strain on the ship rises to maximum as the crew fights to draw in breath)

…now!” (Olara hits her master control sending the Horizon into Quantum Jump.)

In a millisecond, what was complete blackness gives way to a peaceful energized blue of the spatial corridor the Horizon now travels.

Forum Image

(Breathing a sigh of relief) We did it! Olara thinks to herself as the crew cheers and hollers at their successful entry.

Commander Varu: (Smiling) “Crew, stabilize and secure your stations – we will de-brief and prepare for stasis in 2 hours.”

Hours later in the briefing room….

The command crew of the Horizon have assembled:

Olara Ereonis Varu – Commander
Joxun Sandari Brell – Helm
Costerian Byrn Elaris – Navigation
Zimeion Davaris Pax – Engineering
Ameris Ze Reon – Medical
Esa Vu Kitharee – Technical
Xel H’Tu Lor - Tactical

for what was supposed to be a routine brief before entering stasis – but Xel has other ideas.

Xel: “You cannot expect the humans to be capable of handling and managing such power – we have to be the guiding hand!”

Joxun: “Here we go again!”

Zimeion: “You are going in circles Xel – we have heard ALL of this before.”

Ameris: “Yes…I remember your passionate speeches during the Earth debates. I believe the term you loved to use was “Administrative Control.”

Xel: “Exactly.”

Ameris: “Which when pressed for a definition meant intellectual enslavement of the human race.”

Xel: “Control for the advancement of society and the greater good is not enslavement. These humans are like children to us. They need parents to bring them through the crises to come.”

Esa: “We have been here listening to you Xel for over an hour. Home world and our systems have already decided.”

Xel: “Our leadership is not here…now….on the frontlines….how can they possibly understand?”

Costerian: “So get to the point Xel – what do you expect us to do?”

Xel: “When we arrive at Earth we need to meet with their hero leadership and form an alliance. We aid them in exchange for them joining us.”

Ameris: “You mean as vassals.”

Xel: “Call it what you like Doctor.”

Olara: “Xel….I have heard enough. I have remained quiet to allow you to say all that was on your mind – but Zimeon is right you are going in circles and repeating yourself. You have nothing new to say.”

Xel: “Commander…surely…as intelligent as you are…you can see the wisdom in my words? Perhaps you can bring order to this chaos we are throwing ourselves into?”

Olara: “Xel I do not agree with your approach. We must greet the humans as equals.”

Xel: “THEY ARE NOT ARE EQUALS AND NEVER WILL BE!” Xel slams his fist on the table.

Olara: “We are here as ambassadors for the Zeskon people sent to aid the humans. Our leadership has decided we have a moral obligation to help them survive.”

Xel: “I… was sent… here… to…..”

Olara:
(Now becoming visibly angry and forceful in her words)

“You were SENT HERE as a concession to the faction whom hold your antiquated and bigoted views.

You are a member of this crew because of your scientific genius and tactical mind.

What you propose is mutiny, treason, and the betrayal of our people – this discussion is over!”

Xel: “Commander if I may…”

Olara: “Dismissed Xel.”

Xel: “Commander I really think you should re-consider…”

Olara: “I said dismissed. Report to your stasis tube before I have you ASSISTED.”

Xel looks across the command crew to see they are all in agreement with their commander. Xel shoots all of them a look as to say “Morons” and then leaves the room heading towards his stasis chamber.

Ameris: “Well handled Commander.”

Olara: “Thank you doctor. Crew, I have received all of your updates since the quantum jump and the data looks good.

Omni has confirmed your recommendations and I am satisfied with your findings.

I apologize for all the time Xel took but I was trying to be fair and open minded. Normally, I would ask for each of you to report but we are running out of time before stasis.

(Looking across her crew – smiling) You have all performed admirably and with great skill. A commander could not ask for a better crew.”

Esa: “Well, except maybe for one.” (Esa looks in the direction of where Xel once stood.)

Olara: “Even Xel has added value to this crew – we cannot overlook that no matter what we may think of his views.”

Joxun: “I suppose you are right – but he just gets under your skin.”

The crew nods in unison and look at each other in agreement.

Olara: “Right now we are traveling back in time billions of lightyears away from home.

I want everyone to have some personal time before the big sleep. Omni has prepared for you final transmissions from your loved ones to see before your rest.

Go, be with your families and those you care for…and when you wake…we will start again.”

(Olara smiles as she looks across the crew and they return looks of respect, admiration, and appreciation.)

Olara: “Dismissed.”

Later in the stasis chambers…

OMNI: “Preparations are complete commander and all crew are doing well and settled into stasis.”

Olara: “Even Xel?”

OMNI: “Yes…even Xel”

Olara settles into her stasis tube, connects her monitoring device and lays back to relax.

Olara: “Ok OMNI, I am ready.”

OMNI: (In a reassuring voice)

”Goodnight Commander…see you when you awake.”

Olara: (Olara’s eyelids grow heavy as gasses fill the chamber)

“Goodnight OMNI...(yawns)…see…you…wh…wh..
(Olara falls asleep).

3 Months Later…

What has been a peaceful ship traveling in a spatial time stream breaks into bedlam as alarms activate across numerous panels.

OMNI:

Security Alert
Security Alert
Security Alert

Foreign Program Overriding my Systems
Implementing Control Measures

Failing
Failing
Failing

S..h..u..t..t..i..n..g D..o..w..n
The ship goes quiet as panels deactivate. For several minutes there is nothing but silence. Then suddenly the ship comes back to life as systems come back online.

Moments later a shadow appears across the stasis tube of Commander Olara Ereonis Varu.

Voice: “Dismissed am I? (Lets out an evil and maniacal laugh)

We will see commander (reaches over and rips away tubes supporting Olara’s life support) WE SHALL SEE!

Stay Tuned for the final chapter….Awakenings!

Last edited by Beta Babe on Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:42 am; edited 7 times in total

Hi All!

Well I think this post is now ready - please let me know if you have any trouble with the graphics. A big thanks goes out to Arwin and Alyssa for their help to get me on the right road to posting these gifs.

Please feel free to read chapter two and give me your feedback. I am almost done writing the final chapter finally revealing how Beta got her powers and concluding her origin story.

I hope in the end you all like it.

Diva

Wow nice story Beta Happy The graphics were very nice and I like the depiction of the time distortions, very descriptive writing.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: