ThursdayFridaySaturdaySundayMondayTuesdayWednesday
B'Day - Veridian Star
League NewsFeed Icon

No News Is Currently Available

Poll Widget
No poll is currently assigned to this widget.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cara Lace
Cara Lace
Diva

re: Cara Part 17: Carastar the Legendary Outlaw Part III

Carastar the Legendary Outlaw: Part III

Staring…
Carastar
Professor Styger
Comanderette America / Maggie Doyle
Colonel John Doyle
Iron Beauty / Jenny Styger
Fraulein Uhrmacher
The Clockwork Angel

May 12, 1942
Somewhere off the coast of Norway

The bright flashes of lightning dance across the forest canopy and the rumbling thunder that follows perfectly hide the spectacle of a Time Sphere materializing in the otherwise dark woods. From it steps the blonde bombshell known in the future as Comanderette America. As the rain falls upon her, she pauses for a moment and takes a deep breath. She allows herself a moment to remember as the very smell of the air is fresher, cleaner and confirms that she is actually back in the era she belongs.

The moment does not last long as the soldier in her takes over once more and she begins to sprint through the dense woods towards a huge and ancient abandoned temple. Before long she bursts from the trees into a clearing and realizes she has stumbled upon a recently paved and crude road. Before she can investigate further the distant flicker of headlights approaching makes her duck back into the tree line where she crouches like a predator awaiting its prey.

From her hidden position, Maggie watches as a series of three military trucks roll towards her. From the insignia on the side Maggie knows they are standard German canopy covered supply trucks and all are headed towards the temple ruins as well. She lets the first two go by and on the third she springs from her hiding spot and sprints behind the truck, easily catching it with her enhanced speed and strength. As she closes in, the Comanderette disappears in a sudden flash of blue-ish light which flashes immediately again but from inside the last trucks canopy. Maggie finds herself standing among stacks of boxes which are circled by five German soldiers who are still in shock at the Comanderette’s sudden appearance.

“Hiya fellas’…” Maggie says with a nod to the stunned men.

The brief sounds of fists on faces is all that precedes the unconscious bodies of five German soldiers being unceremoniously dumped, one by one, out of the back of the truck as it rolls on behind its counterparts. While Maggie waits quietly hidden among the boxes stacked in the back of the truck, she thinks back to Jenny Styger’s comments about the ‘fear of boxes’ and gives a sad smile.

“Don’t worry Jenny… I’m gonna to fix this.” Maggie says softly to herself.

Finally, the trucks enter a recently constructed base camp on the back side of the temple ruins and eventually each truck backs up in line to a makeshift loading dock to be unloaded. A single guard lifts the covering off the back of Maggie’s truck and is startled to see a red, white and blue star in front of his face. Before he can react it plows into his chest and sends him flying backward to land unconscious and concealed among the stacks of crates on the makeshift loading dock. Silently, Maggie emerges from the truck and hides herself among those same crates and watches. From her hiding place she observes the surrounding area and the groups of men, from soldiers to technicians, rushing around hooking up generators and lights across the temple grounds. The steady stream of uninterrupted activity confirms that the Comanderette’s presence is still unnoticed.

As she maneuvers silently through the stacks of crates, Maggie finds one that is open and peers inside. It is packed neatly with various types of ammunition and several bombs complete with timers and detonators.

“These’ll do the trick.” The Comanderette says as a strategy forms in her mind.

Across the temple grounds, within one of the ancient crypts…

“Lean not upon your own understanding. Ignorance is well and truly blessed. Trust in perfect love and perfect planning, and everything will work out for the best.” Fraulein Uhrmacher recites as if singing some ancient and forgotten song.

The group of soldiers standing around her all back away and snap to attention as the Uhrmacher single handedly lifts the inactive Clockwork Angel from its sarcophagus. She stands the metal marvel upright before her and inspects its immaculately clean surfaces. As she moves, bending and reaching as she conducts her inspection, the soldiers can hear the faint whirs and clicks of hidden gears and mechanisms emanating from the Fraulein herself. What is visible of her body is limited by her uniform and black leather trench coat, but her terrifying blood red face is un-obscured. The metallic components visible through the patches of missing flesh on her neck and cheeks seem very similar to what is visible of the beautifully crafted Angel standing silent before them.

Their admiration of the Angel is broken by one of the Fraulein’s personal guards as he enters the room and approaches her with a German salute. The Uhrmacher merely nods in acknowledgement and leans in as the guard whispers something in her ear. As she listens, a growing evil grin takes shape on her lips.

“No, position our forces around them and wait for my orders.” Uhrmacher sneers. “They must believe they can succeed right up until the end, and then we shall rain fire upon them.”

The guard snaps back to attention and gives another stiff armed salute before rushing out of the tomb’s entrance. Fraulein Uhrmacher’s evil grin makes the remaining guards nervous, which in turn attracts her attention to them.

“Wait for me outside.” She orders the men, who immediately file out of the tomb as well.

Alone with the Angel, the Fraulein looks it over once more almost lovingly. She peers into its lifeless eyes and stares for a few minutes.

“We will show them, liebchen, as we did before.”

A short time later, outside in the temple courtyard…

“It is, Professor.” Colonel Doyle says slowly lowering his binoculars and then handing them to his friend. “It’s another Angel.”

The Professor gazes on the scene and watches as Fraulein Urmacher single handedly carries the Angel down the stairs from its crypt and drop it on the muddy ground before the temple ruins. It is an exact duplicate of the Angel the Professor himself found years ago in the deserts of Egypt. Bronze colored and beautiful even now as the mud refuses to cling to any parts of the Angel’s surface.

“She’s going to awaken it.” The Professor says dreadfully. “We have to stop her.”

“That’s an entire division of fortified German troops, Professor.” Colonel Doyle says grabbing the Professor’s arm. “We have twelve soldiers with us…”

“And if Fraulein Urmacher activates that Angel, it will be under her control and you know the devastation that will cause.” Styger cuts in sternly. “Besides you forget we have thirteen soldiers with us.”

A sudden gust of air behind them reminds Colonel Doyle of the thirteenth soldier the Professor was referring to as their own Clockwork Angel descends on silent metal wings to join them.

“There you are my friend; as punctual as ever.” The Professor says with a smile which the Angel almost seems to return as it gazes at him for just a moment. The moment however is quickly shattered when gunfire erupts all around them. Soldiers of The Order emerge from the shadows all around the band of Americans and continue raining bullets down on them. Colonel Doyle’s men are battle hardened and they dig in to their positions and return fire.

“We cannot let them pin us down out here…” Professor Styger says to his silent metallic friend as he ducks beneath a spray of gunfire. “They’re going to wake your sister! Do you understand?! We’ve got to stop them!”

The Angel hesitates for a moment and stares upward into the night sky. Confused, the Professor follows her gaze to see a bright fireball streaking through the darkness and heading directly for them.

“What in the name of…” Professor Styger utters. “This isn’t right.”

Colonel Doyle and his squad see the approaching fireball as well and in the split second of a moment the troops of The Order move in. By the time the Americans realize it, The Order has already surrounded them and all are left to wonder, will it be surrender or slaughter.

“No! This isn’t right at all…” The Professor affirms as he looks back to the Clockwork Angel who is valiantly standing over him as a shield against the enemy fire raining down on them. As Colonel Doyle and his men bravely return fire, the soldiers of The Order notice the brilliant fireball in the sky as well and pause for just a moment in uncertainty.

“Now, while they’re distracted!” Professor Styger shouts and the Clockwork Angel responds by opening up its front panels to allow him to step inside. It then closes around him as the two become one. “Take your men and make for the courtyard, you must secure that Angel! We will cover you.”

“Professor…” Colonel Doyle shouts as he and his men begin a dash towards temple courtyard. “…what’re we going to do about that thing in the sky?!”

“Let’s address one problem at a time, Colonel!” The Professor says through the Angel’s armor as they take flight. The two act as one as the Angel lands behind the small squad of men as they advance on their objective. She extends her wings and harmlessly deflects the spray of gunfire that has started up again. The soldiers run through the mud into the center of the courtyard, led by their Colonel, until they reach the second Angel lying dormant on the ground. Taking up positions in a circle around it, the men await the Colonel’s next orders while the Professor tries to cover them with the Angel and braces for an onslaught of bullets.

It is then that they all realize the gunfire has stopped as an entire garrison of the Fraulein’s specialized troops emerges from every crack and crevice and dark place within the ancient ruined complex. They encircle the small band of Americans with their guns raised and at the ready. The Professor knows he and the Angel could survive the encounter, but the Colonel and his men would be slaughtered. They all grip their weapons in nervous anticipation as suddenly a single, slow, repetitious clap begins. Colonel Doyle scowls as the mass of troops begins to part and form a small corridor leading to the main entrance of the ruined temple. A single figure comes calmly walking down the path and clapping her black leather gloved hands; the being known as the Fraulein Uhrmacher.

“Truly, it must be the will of the cosmos that you are here. I come for one and you deliver me two.” The Fraulein begins with her thick German accent. “The Lords of Chaos smile favorably upon the Uhrmacher this day.”

“You’re mad, Uhrmacher!” The Professor announces defiantly from his Angel.

“Perhaps, my dear Professor…” The Fraulein sneers. “…but it is not I who is surrounded by enemy guns and yet still hurling insults.”

“Do you not see the approaching fireball?” The Professor responds pointing the Angel’s right finger skyward. “Evacuate your men or you will kill us all!”

“You DARE make demands of me?!” Uhrmacher growls. “This is MY kingdom… MY temple! My word is LAW here! You know as well as I that the Angels will survive whatever the coming cataclysm can bring. My soldiers are eager to die in my service… the question is, are you willing to kill yours?”

The Professor hesitates as Fraulein Uhrmacher calls his bluff and looks to his friend Colonel Doyle. The soldier glances at his men then back at the Professor with short nod. Professor Styger knows the Colonel and his men will gladly give their lives in the service of freedom, but he also knows that he cannot sentence them to certain death.

“Time grows short Professor.” Uhrmacher states. “Relinquish your Angel and I will spare your men and grant you all the protection of the temple ruins as my prisoners. Or let them die out here and I will simply collect my Angel afterwards, and then take yours as well.”

The roar of the approaching fireball streaking through the sky at them becomes deafening and it is clear that its point of impact will be directly where the Professor and his men are huddled around the inactive Angel.

“Lower your weapons Colonel…” The Professor says in a defeated tone. “…we surrender.”

“Styger… no, we can’t let these guys win!” Colonel Doyle protests as the Professor stands his Angel upright and its front panels slide open up to allow him to step forth from it.

“For the moment Colonel, we have no choice.” Professor Styger says solemnly.

With disgust, the Colonel gives the order and his men stand and drop their weapons to the ground. With a final look of defiance at the smiling Uhrmacher, Colonel Doyle finally drops his weapon as well and the entire squad raises their hands.

“There, you see?” Uhrmacher says almost pleasantly to her surrounding soldiers. “They can be reasonable. Now take the Angels into the temple, quickly!”

“…and the Americans?” One of the Fraulein’s soldiers asks.

The Fraulein sneers almost gleefully. “Shoot them. All of them.”

“You dirty bit….” The Colonels words are cut off by a series of sudden and violent explosions going off around the perimeter of the courtyard. Dozens of the Uhmacher’s soldiers are blown to pieces while shock and confusion sets in among the rest. Thick black smoke from the continuing series of explosions fills the ancient courtyard and with the chaos for cover, Colonel Doyle and his men snatch up their weapons. The Professor dons the Angel once more and stretches her wings to cover as much of the men as she can.

“We can’t stay here!” Professor Styger shouts over the continuing volley of explosions and the screams and howling of the Uhrmacher’s forces. Only the Fraulein’s elite personal troopers rush to surround and protect their beloved leader from the disjointed symphony of explosions and chaos.

“I am open to suggestions Professor!” Colonel Doyle responds as he scans the surrounding madness for any possible escape. Suddenly, a brilliant flash of soft blue light erupts from behind him in the middle of his squad of men. All faces turn and when the flash fades out they see a woman unlike any they have seen before. Her uniform is clearly military but not any type or kind of standard issue any of them know of with its fierce red, white and blue. She wears a combat helmet with some sort of mask or goggles covering her eyes and obscuring much of her face from view. Her blonde hair is barely visible as the helmet keeps it neatly kept and within regulation beneath it. On her left forearm is a formidable looking round shield. Its red, white and blue colors shine off its metal surfaces and the white star in the middle seems to spawn a wellspring of pride and bravery just from the site of it.

“There’s set of tunnels where you’ll be safe from the crash. They run under the entire temple complex.” The colorful young woman announces. “The entrance is north-west, about thirty yards. Wait for my signal then get there fast and give ‘em hell.”

At that moment the enraged Fraulein Uhrmacher bursts forth from her shield of loyal soldiers, sending some of them flying across the courtyard. “What are you waiting for you simple minded fools?! Execute them!!” To emphasize her point she fires a bolt of energy from her very hand into the hanging black smoke, only to have one of her own soldiers stagger from it with a hole she just blasted through his chest. “Find them!! Bring me their heads and then bring me the Angels!!”

The red, white and blue woman pulls a device from her belt which the Colonel and his men instantly recognize as a detonator. They look at each other briefly then all lower heads and brace themselves. All except for the Colonel and the Professor who keep staring at the stranger.

“Wait…” The Colonel says to her. “…who are you supposed to be?”

“…I’m, uhm… Comanderette America.” The young woman answers and then immediately pushes the detonator’s button. A series of very large and power explosions go off and carve a bloody path through the surrounding enemy soldiers and leading north-west. The force of the explosions violently shakes the ground and sends even the Uhrmacher to her knees. Only Colonel Doyle is unfazed by the blasts and he simply continues to stare at the woman.

The word, it keeps repeating itself in his head… Comanderette. His thoughts go back in time to his young daughter as he fights to hold back the tears welling up in his eyes….

“That’s what I’m gonna be when I grow up… a Comanderette!”

“You can be whatever you want to be honey, if you work hard enough. But shouldn’t there be two M’s in Comanderette?”

“Daddy… it’s not a real rank. I made it up so I can spell it however I want.”

Professor Styger places the Angel’s metal hand on the Colonel’s shoulder which snaps him back to reality and the men who are looking to him for leadership. He pushes back the memories and emotion and lets his training and experience take over.

“Move out!!” The Colonel shouts as he and his men charge up the path of carnage with the Professor following close behind inside the Clockwork Angel to cover their escape. The last of the Comanderette’s bombs go off and chaos gives way to momentary uncertainty.

The Colonel and his men reach an open mausoleum that leads down into the Earth. As their men head down into the tunnels, the Colonel and the Professor turn to look back just in time to watch as the smoke slowly clears and Comanderette America kneels next to inactive Angel as what is left of the Fraulein’s soldiers begin to encircle her.

It is then that everyone is reminded of the huge and falling fireball as it slams into outer temple wall and skids across the ground directly at them all. Colonel Doyle lunges forward but is held back by the Clockwork Angel’s hand. The Professor drags his friend down into the catacombs just in time as the entire temple courtyard erupts into flame and deadly shattered stone debris.

“NO! NOOO!!!” The Colonel cries out. “Why did you stop me!? You know who that was!! I’ve got to save her! Let me GO!!”

“Snap out of it Colonel!!” The Professor shouts sternly and causing Colonel Doyle to pause. “Whoever she may be, she is here for a reason and she is here with a plan. Otherwise we would not be in these tunnels. If she is indeed whom you believe then you have to trust that she knows what she is doing because right now we must find another way out of here. When all this settles, Fraulein Uhrmacher will storm these tunnels to find us.”

The Colonel shoves the Clockwork Angel with surprising force out of sheer determination. The Professor stands still a moment and watches the anguish on his friends face. After a few seconds, the anguish dissolves away into a steadfast anger.

“Okay Professor…” Colonel Doyle says calmly. “…you’re right, but know this. We’re not leaving this rock without her. Do you understand me?!”

“I would expect no less my friend.” Professor Styger responds as the two lead their men into the dark and seemingly endless tunnel.

Outside, in the Temple courtyard…

The explosions have stopped. The screams have stopped. Only the remnants of the dissipating smoke still swirl around the devastation and rubble. All is at last silent in the ancient temple ruins of this tiny little island off the coast of Nazi controlled Norway. And lying half buried in that rubble, is the object that crashed from the sky. What little of Fraulein Uhrmachers forces survived its arrival will have no concept or idea of what it is, only that it is a sleek looking, metallic, rectangular box. The half still visible as it juts out from under the pile of stone debris is as long as a Type I U-Boat and twice as wide.

Off to the side of the object, in the debris field that used to be the main temple structure, a large slab of stone begins to shift slowly and then is suddenly tossed aside like so much garbage by an enraged Fraulein Uhrmacher. She stands and surveys her surroundings while she brushes the dust from her jet black trench coat. Her gaze falls upon the marvel before her and her mechanical jaw snarls.

“Soldiers of the Order, come to me!!” The Fraulein shouts through eerie stillness and after a few moments a handful of stunned soldiers begin to emerge from their hiding places and join their fearless leader. One by one the regain composure and salute the Fraulein as they take their place at her side and she smiles slightly to see most of them are her personal elite troops.

“You, take two men and secure the Angel in the courtyard! And if anything emerges from this object, shoot it!” She orders one of the men before her. “The rest follow me into the catacombs! I will take the Professor’s Angel and pry his lifeless body from it!! Obey the Order!!”

“OBEY THE ORDER!!” Her men shout back in salute, then immediately move to follow her orders.

Twenty or so men march towards the entrance to the catacombs below as Fraulein Uhrmacher rises above them on two disks beneath her feet made of some arcane form of energy. They disappear into the tunnel, following the Professor and his entourage into the darkness while three soldiers make their way through the destruction in the courtyard towards the area the inactive Angel was laying before the crash. They nervously stare at each other when they see the large pile of stone chunks and slabs that now cover the spot.

Peering as best they can through the rubble the soldiers ponder how they are going to remove the massive chunks of stone. Their pondering gives way to confusion and alarm when they see the biggest of the chunks suddenly shift and then with startling force, lunge directly at them. They narrowly escape being crushed by diving to the side and when they look up all they can see is the red, white and blue clad woman standing with the lifeless Angel in her arms. Before they can react she smiles at them and then disappears in a brilliant flash of blue light, only to reappear several yards away from them next to the smoldering hulk of the object half buried in the Temple rubble. She carries the Angel and ducks from their sight around the far side of the huge wreck.

To be concluded…

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: