Who's Online
DCUO Announcements
NEW @ DCUO Forums

ThursdayFridaySaturdaySundayMondayTuesdayWednesday
B'Day - Veridian Star
League NewsFeed Icon

No News Is Currently Available

Poll Widget
No poll is currently assigned to this widget.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raarsi
Star

re: The Heir (FINALE IS UP!!)

((So I'm probably a bit rusty at this, but I figured I may as well have one more go at it. Enjoy!))

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

((A young girl in street clothes laying on a park bench near the Shen Li Po Gardens is found occupying herself by drawing small glowing runes in the air with her finger while humming a recent tune. After a while, she finds herself interrupted by a woman's voice.))

“Neat trick dearie.”

((The girl comes to attention, spotting a woman donning sunglasses, a trench coat and a straw hat as she gets up and off of the bench, waving her hand through the runes to dissipate them.))

“Oh, um, yeah, that. Sorry, I'm still a bit of a beginner.”

((The woman smiles.)) “No worries Victoria. Or is it Vecuvia?”

((The girl's eyes widen in shock.)) “Hey, how do you know who I am?! Are you stalking me?”

((The woman giggles.)) “Not exactly dearie. The whispers and visions just come to me, telling more than just the name of an arcane metahuman. Although I'd love to see more of what you're capable of.”

((Vecuvia takes a step back, tilting her head in confusion.))

“Wait, you want me to use spells here?”

“Sure, why not, unless you prefer someplace more isolated.”

((Vecuvia shrugs.)) “Okay, fine. At least give me your name first.”

((The woman smiles.)) “Fair enough. My name is Raarsi.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“She kicked my ass Theoro. I threw everything at her--EVERYTHING--and it looked like she didn't even break a sweat.”

((In a Little Bohemia restaurant, Vecuvia sits at a table with a young man, telling her story as he takes a sip of his drink and puts it back on the table before talking.))

“Certainly sounds like it was a rough fight. Guessing she could've killed you if she had the chance.”

((Vecuvia slumps slightly in her chair.)) “I know Theoro, but then she went on about some creepy obsession with metahumans and how she took interest in me because I was the first 'naturally-made magically-empowered metahuman' or something like that. She then taught me some cool spells and then told me to find her where we were when I was ready to fight her again.”

((Theoro raises an eyebrow.)) “Oh? Cool spells like what?”

((Vecuvia smiles, leaning forward in her chair.)) “Oh, all sorts of spells from divinations and mind-reading stuff to more elaborate stuff I still need to practice.”

“Mind-reading? Okay, what am I thinking right now?”

((Vecuvia pauses a moment, long enough to get what information she needed.))

“My eyes are up here stupid. And no, you're not skipping on the check again.”

((Theoro laughs as he leans back in his chair.)) “Ahahaha, that's SO not going to end well I think. So anything else this Raarsi woman gave you?”

((Vecuvia shrugs, running her hand through her silver hair.)) “Yeah. She told me to go find some friends for next time.”

((Theoro smirks.)) “Oh, I think I can help with that.”

Last edited by Raarsi on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:57 am; edited 2 times in total

“You want me to do WHAT Theoro?”

((At a lounge in the Watchtower, Theoro is sat at a table with a young, short-haired girl casually stirring her drink with her eyes fixated on him.))

“I know Sarah, it's a bit much to ask of you given the whole locker room incident, but given what Vicki has told me about this Raarsi person, I think she needs help from both of us.”

((The girl groans.)) “Uggggggh. What part of 'she turned me into a rabbit and stuffed me into a freaking top hat' didn't you get?”

((Theoro rolls his eyes.)) “Probably the part where she did it because you melded her into the wall paneling of the women's locker room.”

“SHE STARTED IT!!”

“I DON'T CARE! You know what? At least she's trying to act like an adult and put it past her.”

((The girl groans again while Theoro keeps talking.))

“Look, I know I'm not doing a good job here in persuading you, but I wouldn't have gone to you if I wasn't aware of just how capable you are out in the field.”

((The girl's eyes widen, slowly leaning forward toward Theoro.))

“Reeeeeeeeeeeeally now? Have anymore of those sweet, flattering words for me?”

((Theoro sighs, slouching back in his chair to avoid the girl being right in his face.))

“Fine. What more would you want from me Lady Pilbara?”

((The girl bursts out laughing, slumping back into her chair.)) “Ahahaha, oh my god! -Just- Pilbara will do sweetie. Hum, maybe tell me more about Vicki since you seem so bound and determined for me to work with her.”

((Theoro pauses a moment in thought.)) “Well, her full name is Victoria Linselle, she's my age, and her metahuman aptitude toward the arcane arts has put her in the interests of many organizations, both magical and scientific.”

((Pilbara interrupts.)) “What about that dumb hero name of hers?”

“You mean 'Vecuvia'? Some reference to a goddess she read about in one of her nine kajillion books. I actually kinda like it.”

((Pilbara gives a suggestive stare.)) “Really? Eh, whatever. How do you even know her anyway? Seems weird that a master sharpshooter known for stopping bank robbers and hostage situations with a single bullet would associate himself with a chick like that.”

((Theoro's gaze focuses on the drink in front of Pilbara.))

“Well we're both metahumans. We started training for this work together, and even with her schedule now strung between studies with the Sentinels of Magic and her S.T.A.R. Labs guinea pig work, we've been close ever since those days.”

((Pilbara stops a moment before giving a shrug.)) “Hokay, fine. But not for her though. Just for something to do that gives me a good enough excuse to get the hell out of this place.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

((Looking and listening in on the conversation is Vecuvia through a folding pocket mirror while reclining on a sofa. Growing frustrated with what she sees and hears from it, she slams it shut and stuffs it into her pocket.))

“Of all the people Theo could've picked, why the hell did he pick HER? He KNOWS I can't stand her. He KNOWS what she did to me. Sure, I might've used her for a kid's magic show without her consent....or without her knowing, but I also might've asked her first if I didn't need a rescue team to pry me out of the metal panel SHE put me in! And did he REALLY have to tell her all of that about me?”

((Vecuvia pauses for a minute before sitting up in the sofa.))

“Alright Vicki, gotta look at the positives. Well at least Theo Chesterfield, the 'master sharpshooter', seemed to be more on my side than hers. That's always a plus. Hmm....I suppose Pilbara is more than just the first motormouth ever to be powered by a thermonuclear reactor. Maybe all those fancy atomic toys of hers might come in handy for more than just what she does to other heroes.”

((As Vecuvia gets up from the sofa, she pulls her phone out to find two emails.))

“Oh, a message from Theo....wait, this is Pilbara's JLA docea. How'd he get this? Huh, that's her actual last name? How 'bout that.”

((Vecuvia skims through the docea and moves on to the next email.))

“SA-WEET!! They managed to find him! Let's just hope I can talk some sense into the guy.”

((Magical lights dimly light a small, old dungeon. Behind the bars of one of the cells is a towering figure hidden away by shadow. On the other side is Vecuvia, casually pacing in front of the cell with a look of glee on her face as she looks through a document on an electronic tablet.))

“Ian MacDuff: the man....well, sorta. The myth....hmm, that might be overhyping it. The legend--well, at least around these parts I guess. Anyway, quite the reputation you have here.”

((A low growl is heard from the cell.))

“Master alchemist said to have lived hundreds of years through his work. I've heard the line 'better living through chemistry', I wonder, did that come from you?”

((Another low growl is heard from the cell.))

“Multiple theses on implementations of plants ranging from everyday common uses to magical applications. Also an avid--um, no pun intended--hobbyist in the field of bees, creating multiple uses for bees that range from bee venom for medications to bees themselves as defense systems. Your work in natural healing has helped many in the magical world to save countless lives, although given how long you've been around, I'm sure you know that, right?”

((Vecuvia stops pacing as a whimper comes from the cell.))

“And then there's this, more recent study for you, isn't it?”

((As Vecuvia makes a hand gesture while talking, a slightly louder growl comes from the cell.))

Alchemical applications toward controlled therianthropy, was that it? Or did it come from something else?”

((A snarling sound echoes throughout the dungeon followed by a small container flying out of the cell, slamming into the wall before dropping to the ground, revealing a handful of exobytes.))

“Ah, I get it now. You must've been curious about these and tried to experiment with them only to end up like, well....”

((A loud growl comes from the cell along with a creaking noise coming from the wooden bench inside the cell.))

“Okay, okay, sheesh. Wait....I see.”

((Vecuvia crouches down and picks up one of the exobytes.))

“You saw these not as an experiment, but as a curse, didn't you?”

((A whimper followed by more creaking of the wooden bench come from the cell.))

“Is that why, in your notes, you kept naming yourself Ascalabus?”

((More whimpering is heard from the cell.))

“Ah okay. How about this then: in exchange for helping me out with something, I'll do everything in my power as a member of both the Justice League and the Sentinels of Magic to help you fix this newfound condition of yours, alright?”

((A short growl comes from the cell.))

“Good! Thank you so much! Now one last thing remains.”

((Vecuvia leans in toward the cell.))

“WHO'S A GOOD BOY?!!”

((The figure in the cell rushes the gate, revealing itself as a large werewolf as it tries to reach out toward Vecuvia through the bars. Vecuvia quickly backs herself toward the wall behind her.))

“SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN!”

((After walking into a warehouse, Theoro finds himself mildly confused as he immediately takes note of a brown gorilla cautiously handling vials full of various oddly-colored liquids next to a table covered in chemistry equipment and a variety of old tomes.))

“Erm....wait. You must be this fabled Ascalabus I've heard so much about. Thought you were a werewolf, not a gorilla.”

((The gorilla looks up at Theoro, gently placing the vials it was handling into a stand and walking away from the table as it quickly transforms into a slender robed man with an old wizard hat covering most of his brown hair.))

“Ascalabus, I am, however I am a therianthrope, not a lycanthrope. Something I have learned in my practice during the ongoing pursuit of my primary studies thanks to some of these new electronic resources Victoria gave me. And you must be Theo Chesterfield, yes? I have heard the tales.”

((Theoro pauses a moment before speaking.)) “Uh, 'Tales'? Not sure if that's good or bad.”

((Ascalabus shakes his head.)) “Nothing of concern, I assure you, which is usually an oddity given my experience when it comes from multiple sources.”

“Oh, so you've met Pilbara too?”

((Ascalabus nods.)) “Sarah? Why yes, I have. A reminder to me that women these days are not as, well....'covered', shall we say.”

((Theoro seems thrown off at first, but quickly appears to understand Ascalabus's comment.))

“Oh, that's right, hundreds of years of isolation, wasn't it?”

“Yes Theo, 'hundreds of years'. Last time I found myself around other people, showing of ankles--let alone full arms or legs--meant you were either a harlot or from some barbaric tribe.”

“I see....well times have definitely changed since then. How has it been readjusting for your studies.”

((Ascalabus picks up an old tome and starts to read from it while talking.))

“Oh, nowhere near as bad as everything else. Magicians still use roughly the same tricks after all these years, making this one of the easiest things to reacquaint myself with.”

“Well that's good. Oh, I've been meaning to ask you about what you know about this Raarsi woman we're supposed to help Vikki fight.”

((Ascalabus stops reading, slamming the book shut.)) “That woman....some knew her as a goddess. Others knew her as a demon. I knew her for what she really was: an arrogant, ageless child with no concern for consequences for ANY of her actions. She did many beneficial things--this I will not ignore--but mistakes for her were always on some catastrophic scale. That was why I agreed to help Victoria: to prevent any further calamities by her doing.”

((Theoro gives a whistle in amazement.)) “Wow, glad you can help us then. Also, you said you saw Pilbara, right? Do you know where she is?”

((Ascalabus places his tome down.)) “Sarah came in roughly two hours ago. Baffling conversation with her until Victoria showed up.”

((Theoro shrugs.)) “Oh, that can't be good....”

((Ascalabus nods.)) “Yes, quite a problem. However, their shouting match was interfering with my research, so I let an old recipe take care of them.”

((Ascalabus points up at the top wall behind Theoro, who turns to see both Vecuvia and Pilbara stuck together on the wall with a sticky, yellow-orange substance covering all of them except for their eyes and noses, leaving both of them to shoot dirty looks at the two men below them.))

“Uh....how....”

((Ascalabus interrupts.)) “Good to see my Honeyglue vials could finally be of use for once. It should wear out in about an hour or so, unless you wish to save them of course.”

“Hmm....nah. Pretty sure that's the closest those two have ever been. May as well enjoy it while it lasts.”

((As Theoro grins, muffled yelling can be heard from Vecuvia and Pilbara as both of them frantically struggle in their alchemical restraints.))

“'Oh, it should wear off in an hour or so'; he said FIVE hours after it almost did.”

((At a restaurant in downtown Metropolis, Vecuvia and Pilbara find themselves doing something they never would've expected some time before: sitting together and having a casual conversation over lunch. Pilbara interrupts herself with a sip from her drink before talking again.))

“Mm, and it didn't help either that I had to pee that entire time too.”

((Vecuvia's eyes widen.)) “Oh, so that's why when we got out, you went flying for the door.”

“Yeah, don't worry, that definitely wasn't because of you.”

“Ah okay. Were you able to get any revenge?”

((Pilbara smirks.)) “Yup. This morning, Theo suddenly found himself buried up to his neck in concrete. Don't worry though, I left a bucket next to his head if he needed to 'relieve' himself.”

((Both of them laugh a bit and eat a bit more of their lunches before Pilbara speaks again.))

“How about you V?”

“Oh, Ascalabus has been here the whole time.”

((Vecuvia pulls out a box holding a brown mouse while she's talking.))

“He thought he was the only one who could control those fancy shapeshifting powers of his, and now he gets to hear us talk all day long.”

((Both of the girls laugh again and give a short pause to keep eating.))

“Hey V, how exactly do you control the glasshat's shapeshifting anyway?”

“Well it's some sort of trick the Sentinels of Magic use to counter the effects of Beastiamorph magic, which I guess also works on other forms of uncontrollable shapeshifting. The upside to is that you can add commands onto it like a program, and I knew the command for changing him to a rat.”

((Pilbara finishes off a bite.)) “Huh, is that how all magic works?”

“Kinda. There's other stuff like foci and other tools, but overall, magical commands aren't much different from any programming language. Just have to know syntax and stuff.”

“Yeah, but aren't you a metahuman? Doesn't that have anything to do with it?”

((Vecuvia pauses a moment before speaking.)) “So normally in magic, you need a focus or some sort of thing to channel the spell, especially with more powerful ones. Apparently because of the metagene, I don't have to worry about that.”

“Oh, that's kinda cool.”

“Yeah. While we're on powers though, how do yours even work?”

((Pilbara smirks.)) “Molecular resonators. I could go into a bunch of physics lessons, but the short version is that it melts solid stuff like metal and concrete without involving fire. Molecular condenser air jets allow for flight, and a microvision visor lets me see what I can change with my resonators.”

“Wait, so you can change items with those blasters of yours?”

((Pilbara shakes her head.)) “Just basic-level stuff, so no changing molecules themselves, just how they're arranged. Coal to diamonds, sure, but not something like rockets into paper confetti or something like that.”

“Wow, that's still pretty awesome. Guess it's a good thing Theo has us working together if you can pull off stuff like that.”

((Pilbara smiles.)) “Yup. Speaking of, I should probably go free him.”

((Vecuvia giggles.)) “Yeah, and I should probably revert Mr. Whiskers here back to normal.”

((Both girls start laughing.))

Okay, think I understand all of those spells Raarsi gave me. I still have to ask her though how so much power can come from such smaller procedures. Even the Sentinels of Magic have themselves scratching their heads over it. Is it because of the meta gene? Maybe Raarsi's been around so long that she's had the time to crunch these spells down.

Either way, I think we've trained long enough to challenge her again. We're ready!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hmm, so these are what aether shells look like? Fancy. I guess these rune marks are to drain a spellcaster's power or something, which makes sense given what we'll be dealing with. Just wish Vikki gave me more than just one clip of them instead of some excuse about how expensive they are. On the other hand, I guess to do all this stuff to a bullet would make sense to be a bit costly. Just gotta hope they can last through the same quantum tunnels I send normal shots through....

Anyway, time to go work for a livin'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hate magic-users. So, so much. Fun and crazy stuff, and all they have to do is speak jibberish or wave a stick. Sure, it was nice of V to explain this magical stuff to me, but I've already got enough stuff in my head and no room to cram in all that spell crap. And why is she so bound and determined to take on this Raarsi chick? What could she have done to make her this bent toward beating this person at magic tricks? Hell, even the ratman seems to be worse toward this woman. Why?

Oh well, suit's repaired, resonators ready. Let's just get this over with. I'm starving.

Now that my new vials are complete, I am confident that Raarsi can be bested. That hag has been around far too long. No matter what outcome she wants, I'll make sure I can provide a strike to kill her. Victoria thinks she learns from her, but no. She only learns lessons to madness and chaos, nothing more.

Now then, she has lived long enough. It is time to end this.

((As the four heroes arrive at the Shen Li Po gardens, they are greeted by Raarsi, still wearing her trench coat and straw hat.))

“Welcome, welcome dearies! Is it time already my dear Victoria? Good.”

((The space around the area shimmers and warps, quickly transitioning to a darkened zone dimmly lit by glowing violet haze. Raarsi's attire also shimmers and warps as it changes into a mixture of sorcerous garb and armor adorned with glyphs.))

“It's nice to see you brought friends with you. Fortunately I've brought one of my own as well.”

((Slowly walking out of the haze behind Raarsi is a towering colossus made entirely out of sand. It looks down upon the four heroes with a pair of large, glowing yellow eyes.))

“And now dearies, only one final question left to answer....”

((Raarsi reaches her hand forward as a sword adorned with gems and runes materialize in it.))

“Shall we begin?”

"I remember it all. Ascalabus turning into a dragon to fight that sand monster, killing each other in the fight. The three of us fighting her only to have some stray deflections killing off Theo and Sarah. That long duel with Raarsi....it felt like an eternity, and yet....something just felt a bit off...."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

((Vecuvia wakes up in a panic. Before she has any time to react, she finds herself gently held down by a hand over her forehead.))

"Now, now, it's alright dearie. Everything's alright."

((Upon taking a few moments to regain herself, Vecuvia takes notice of her state and surroundings: laying on a bench in Shen Li Po Gardens, her head resting on Raarsi's lap. A faint glow and humming sound eminates from Raarsi's hand as it is placed over Vecuvia's forehead, giving her a sense of calm as she continues to rest in Raarsi's lap.))

"Ugh, what happened?"

((Raarsi smiles.)) "You finally broke the dream dearie."

((Vecuvia gives a confused look.)) "Dream? What dream?"

"Everything you experienced since leaving my realm before all happened in the dream state I put you in right after that sparring bout. I made sure to leave some hints for you throughout that you seemed to have figured out by now."

((Vecuvia talks while hoisting herself up and turning to sit upright in the bench.))

"Yeah. A friend from childhood and an old bully that both got digitized by Brainiac, and whatever Ascalabus was."

((Raarsi shrugs.)) "About a millenia ago, he was an apprentice of mine. Unfortunately though, he knew what I was and what I was capable of. He craved my power, letting nothing stand in his way as he became the vengful alchemist you came to know in the dream. When I finally witnessed what had become of him, that was when I first created Golaan to end his existence."

"Golaan? That massive thing made out of sand?"

((Raarsi nods.)) "Although he preferred sand, his first incarnation was stone. I suppose the proper term for him would be a geo-avatar: a sentient embodiment of a planet capable of communicating with it and any creature living on it. The fight you saw between the two of them actually happened from beginning to end, but fortunately unlike Ascalabus, Golaan simply returns to the earth whenever he is physically destroyed."

"Whoa....wait, what about the others? My old friend Theo and that snob Sarah?"

((Raarsi gives a brief smirk.)) "The answer for that dearie would be two-fold. The first part was a diversion intended to prolong my ritual for you. The second was to get to know you better so I wouldn't have any doubts that my power would be in the wrong hands."

((Vecuvia gives a confused look.)) "'Ritual'? What are you talking about?"

"When you were in your dream, I was performing a ritual on you that would allow you to use my power. You see, this was why I've been fascinated with metahumans all this time. No normal mortal could contain what power I had, no matter how excelled they were in magical arts. When I learned of this so-called 'metagene' and how much greater those with it were than those without, I believed that one bearing some degree of magical prowess could contain and wield my power."

"Wait, that's why you made me your apprentice?"

((Raarsi shakes her head.)) "No dearie. I don't need an apprentice dearie. I need an heir."

"An heir?"

((Raarsi slowly nods.)) "Aye dearie, an heir. Immortality is overrated, and I've lived long enough. Now get up. I need to finish this."

((As both of them get up, Raarsi snaps her fingers, transitioning the area to her realm filled with glowing violet haze. As Raarsi takes a few steps away and throws her hand out, Vecuvia finds herself locked in place standing in the middle of a magic circle as her clothes fly off, revealing glowing runes all over her body. Raarsi pauses a moment before turning to speak.))

"Don't worry dearie, this shouldn't take too long. And thank you, for all that you are, and all that you will be."

((Raarsi kneels down, placing her hand on the edge of the magic circle, and begins rapidly chanting. Amidst the chanting, Vecuvia's body levitates over the circle as trails of the nearby violet haze quickly envelops her and the magic circle glows brighter as Raarsi chants faster.))

((After a minute, the violet haze forms a cocoon around Vecuvia and Raarsi ends her chant with a magical phrase sounding like bells, creating a ball of light to shoot out of her mouth and hit the cocoon, causing an explosion. Raarsi closes her eyes and faintly smiles before the shockwave hits her, causing her body to shatter and crumble away.))

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

((In the Shen Li Po Gardens, a low-pitched explosion is heard before a girl gently drifts to the ground. Her hair, once darker, is now a shade of platinum. Her eyes eminate trails of violet mist. She looks over her attire, remembering the street clothes she had before and taking notice of them being replaced by more magical garb adorned with various runes. She looks up, still radiating a silver aura, and utters nine words to herself.))

"I will keep fighting Raarsi. For you. For everyone."

"Well that's a lovely thought."

((The girl's thoughts are interrupted by a young man in jeans and a black shirt.))

"Oh, sorry, couldn't help myself. Fancy look by the way."

((The girl regains herself.)) "Erm, thanks. Just, uh, trying a new look. I should get going though."

"Sure, sure. Can I at least get your name?"

"Vecuvia. And yours?"

((The young man clears his throat.)) "Hallix. Michael Hallix."

((Vecuvia smiles, nods and teleports out. Afterward, the young man takes a deep breath and pulls out a pair of rings: one green and one yellow.))

"Now then, which one to go with...."

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: