FridaySaturdaySundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursday
B'Day - Veridian Star
League NewsFeed Icon

No News Is Currently Available

Poll Widget
No poll is currently assigned to this widget.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Relic / Karman
New Girl

re: Search for Power

[u]STARING:
Sara Croft - RelicHunter
Dawn - ShoLin
Karman Electros - Herself
unknown - SoloFatality
Emily Thorn - Atropa Thorn, just a phone call from Relic

OK so, I took some time and did a rewrite adding more detail. I've written before with a friend, a long time ago, and had a couple stories put in Dragon Magazine. It's a little long, but I hope you enjoy it.

[b]Office of the Croft Museum…

Sara Croft sits at her desk, feet propped up as usual, staring at the postcard in her hand. The front showing a night time view of Tokyo, Japan, the back addressed to her with a note: ‘Having a great time--- “D”. Seemingly innocent on the surface, the postcard meant trouble. Her childhood friend needed her. The same trick they used as kids to let each other know they needed them. ‘Having a great time’ meant get her now. The phone on her desk began beeping. Leaning forward, she sets the postcard to the side and picks up the receiver…

“Yes,” she answers. “Ah Miss Thorn, have you figured out the plants I sent you?” Opening a drawer Sara pulls out a ragged notebook and flips to a marked page.

“It’s important to know how these plants survived in a tomb a thousand years old, with no water, sun and very little oxygen Miss Thorn,” she says looking over her notes.

“Thanks for your assistance and give the results to know but me. Watch yourself; there is something not right about those plants. We wouldn’t want that Ivy lady to get her hands on them. Talk to you soon.”

Hanging up the phone, she grabs her tea and takes a long drink, just as a knock comes to the door. Her secretary walks in and introduces a Mr. Jonathan Drake, apparently her 3 o’clock appointment.

Sara knows Mr. Drake and cares nothing for the man, as he works for Lex Luther. Ignoring the man’s outstretched hand; she leans back putting her boots back on the desk.

“The answer is still no, Mr. Drake. It will always be no.”

Pulling his hand back, annoyed. “Miss Croft, Mr. Luther assures you that anything you find will be credited to you. And you will receive a generous grant for your museum.”

Sara leans forward and takes a long knife out of her boot and spins it in the palm of her hand. Seeing Mr. Drake sudden surprise and the bead of sweat on his forehead, Sara smiles at the exact reaction she wanted.

“The only thing I want from Luther is his head mounted on the wall in my Neanderthal section.”

“Miss Croft,” he says, voice trembling slightly. “Making threats against Mr. Luther will…..”

Sara cuts him off. “Will what Mr. Drake? You being here is a threat, maybe you should be on my wall.”

Taking his hanker chef from his jacket and wiping the sweat from his brow, Mr. Drake turns and walks toward the door.

“You have not heard the last of me. Mr. Luther gets what he wants, one way or another Miss Croft, good day.”

Just as he reaches the door, the knife passes his ear close enough to hear the blade as it passes by, sticking in the door jam.

“I really hope that was not a threat Mr. Drake, good day to you Sir."

The man says nothing, just walks out the door. Sara hits the buzzer on her phone.

“Keep that sniveling weasel out of my building. Oh, and please call my pilot and have him file a flight plan for China.”

Sara picks the post card back up, slapping it her hand. “Ok Dawn, message received. I’m on my way.”

One Week Later….
Sara Croft sat in the monastery hidden deep in the Himalayas looking at the tall dark hair women dressed in simple Monks’ robes. It’s been 10 years since she last saw the woman. Both living in Croft Manor, going to the same boarding school, getting in the same trouble and of course becoming close like sisters. “Dawn”, Sara thinks about how the Monk’s found her at dawn; left at the entrance of their village when she was baby. They raised and took care of her until Roger Croft located the village 18 years ago. Lord Croft has always searched the unknown and untouched places all around the planet. He spent months here living with the Monks, learning their history, but never found their secret.

With some persuasion, he convinced the Monk’s to let him take the little girl home and he would search for answers to why she was there. Dawn left in her teens, choosing to go back the village, much to the anger of a young Sara. She said she felt she had to go back, like it was calling to her.
Roger Croft never found any information on Dawn and never will now…..Sara pushes the unpleasant memory from her mind as Dawn looks over to her giving a slight smile, happiness in her eyes. Sara return her smile and glances back down to the ragged notebook containing her father’s notes. For centuries the Monk’s village had been untouched by the outside world, hidden from view deep inside a mountain. That was until her father found it, following notes recovered from a Nazi underground bunker for occult research.

Sara wonders how the village and surrounding area stay so temperate in the middle of subzero temperatures this high in the Himalayas, but that was just one of the mysteries of this village. Reading her father’s notes;

“The Monks have a firm belief that they were meant to protect the world from evil to keep maintain the balance. They have a ritual where select members are given a chance to obtain powers over the elements. “The Chosen One” they call them. Only certain individuals survive this ritual. They are taken to cave close to the village; and from what little information I have gained, they are left in a room. One day or many days later, the one that returns is ‘The Chosen’. This is not uncommon with many cultures, having a protector, even with ‘powers’, but there’s something different here. The Monks did give me a brief description of the cave and I hope to explore it for some answers, but I fear that I may have outstayed my welcome on this trip”

“Now, this baby girl ‘Dawn’ they call her, found at the cave entrance, is so out of place here. They do believe it was for good reason she was left here, but I think I may have convinced them to let me take her to stay with me, provide an education and try to find where she came from. She only slightly younger than my Sara.”

Sara notices the drawing of a cave, but makes no mention of ever being explored. Once again, Sara looks at her friend; Dawn, the newest member to gain this power. The only female and the youngest ever chosen. So, when Sara received the cryptic message from Dawn for help, she jumped on the next plane out.

“It’s alright to cry,” a voice said.

Sara jumped, startled. She turned around and there was a shadow of a man embedded within the rock, but moving and speaking as if he was surrounded by air. Sara was puzzled, thinking the jet lag was playing tricks on her. The man was tall, dark-skinned and wore the traditional robes of the Monks, but looked as if he was centuries old. The Monk smiled warmly, a warmth not of this Earth. He stepped forward as if waking out of the rock into the room. Sara stumbled backwards.

“It’s alright,” he says again. “You miss your father and never grieved for him. It’s alright to cry and mourn for your loss”. He steps closing to embrace her.

“What…how…” she questioned, looking around to see if anyone else sees this man coming out of the rock.

“Don’t think too hard about it, Sara Croft. Come, sit down,” he motioned to her as he waved his hand over the stone floor. He sat crossed-legged as Sara joins him.

“Some tea?” he asked. Before Sara could answer, two cups of tea materialized before them. The old Monk took a sip and Sara followed suit.

“Oh, it’s foul!” Sara exclaimed. The Monk chuckles and she immediately felt embarrassed. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to….”

“It’s an acquired taste, I understand. Not as soothing as Earl Grey?” he says smiling at her.

Sara take another sip trying to suppress a squirm. “Who are you?” she ask.

It’s hard to say,” he shrugged. “I’ve come to give you a message.”

“I’m afraid I don’t understand…..a message?”

“Nothing to be afraid of. How about we say I’m just a force for good.”

“A force for good…” Sara repeated. “Like an Angel?”

“We have been called that, but it’s more complicated than that,” he says. “Let’s face it, there isn’t much good left in this world. Sometimes you have to look beyond to find it. I’ve seen your life Sara Croft, your whole life.”

“What do you mean my whole life?” Sara asked, curious.

The old Monk chuckles again. “Yes, you see, we transcend time, space, dimensions, and realities…universes even. We see all and know all. Even you kissing Dawn in the closet of your room.”

Sara gasped. “How did you…”

“Try not to process it too much. When you need to know, the time will come, perhaps sooner than you think. I’ve seen what you become Sara. The hardship you’ve…you will face. The evil you will conquer. The treasures you will find. The history you will make. I’ve guided you here even before you were born and will help you take that first step…”

“So, my father…if you can do all these things…why didn’t you…” Sara begins to choke up.

“There are things that must take their course Sara.” The Monk turns his gaze from her for the first time. “There are rules, even for us. Don’t you worry Sara, you are strong. Stronger than you know and there’s much more that you can and will face. Much more.”

Sara stared at the Monk, unsure what to make of all this.

The old Monk looks out into the village. “Long ago we came. We selected ones for whom we give a special gift.” He nods to Dawn. “She is powerful, not just in the physical sense, but in spirit and heart. The soul of a warrior. That why we gave her power. The power your father and many others sought for, but…..well, they were not worthy,” he say turning back to Sara.

Sara looks sternly at the Monk. “Not worthy…how dare you. My father did everything for the good of man. Searched endless for answers…he was a good man…”

The Monk raises his hand to silence her. “In time you will understand. The power you seek is nearby.” He looks back toward the Monks. “Their time is coming to an end. The world is no longer as it was. All we can do is try to help it survive.”

“What do you mean? What happens to the Monks? Can’t you warn them or stop it?” she asked pleadingly.

In a flash, he appears right in front of Sara, causing her to step back. “I told you, some things must not be interfered with and must happen. No go, find what you seek. Death is coming and it’s not far away.”

“Sara, Sara….” Dawn calls from the doorway. “Sara are you ok?” she ask.

Looking up, Sara sees Dawn walking toward her calling her name. “Oh, yes I’m fine.” She looks around the room, but sees no sign of the old Monk. “Did you see…there was an old Monk…right there” she says pointing at the wall.

Dawn looks at the stone wall puzzled. “There’s no one here Sara. Are you sure you’re ok? You look flushed.”

“I’m fine and not crazy….I think, but I just had a lengthy conversation with an old Monk…even had some rather disgusting tea,” she says looking for evidence of the tea.

“Sara, I only steeped outside no more the five minutes ago. Just outside the door, no one passed us.” Dawn notices the puzzled look on Sara’s face. “The high altitude has been know….”

“It’s not the damn altitude,” she snaps. “Sorry Dawn, it’s just…it was so real. The things he said.” Sara’s mind snapped back to now. “Dawn, we have to get moving. I need to find the source of your power. The Monk in my vision, he,” she pauses. “He said death is coming and the time for your village is coming to an end. We must get everyone out of here, now.” Sara starts making her way toward the door.

“Sara wait,” Dawn says grabbing her by the arm. “I’m sorry about before, saying it was the altitude. I have seen the same old Monk before. When I was a child. I took it as a dream because I was so young,” she says looking at Sara. “Our Elders have heard many reports of the same vision. If he came to you…then you must be ‘Chosen’ as I have been. That must be what the Elders have been discussing. For days they have been talking about an unseen outsider becoming the last of us. We took it as some sort of apocalypse. Maybe they meant you?” she says.

“Me?” asked Sara, astonished. “I’m just an archeologists, a relic hunter,” she looks at Dawn “not some protector like you. I don’t have power like you.”
She grabs her pistols. “This….,“ she says, pointing to her guns “and my luck, wit, knowledge, whatever you want to call is the only power I have. I don’t believe in fate or destiny, we make our own choices.”

Dawn sighs and looks at her friend. “We all have a destiny and reason for being. It’s what brought your father here years ago and it’s what brought you back here now. Even the few of us left here know our time is limited. No matter how we prepare, the story has been written already.”

Sara interrupts “Your message brought me here, not some mystical force,” she says.

“Dammit Sara,” Dawn yells showing her frustration. “Yes, when we found LexCorps troops around the mountains I did ask for your help. We need you to find the source of our power to keep it out of their hands. With all this alien invasion going on, we can’t let them have it. It may be our only hope to keeping the world safe. We need you to help us understand what it is,” showing the pleading look in her eyes.

Sara looks at Dawn puzzled. “You have gained that power and you don’t know where it’s from?”

“No, for centuries the few selected monks were led to the cave for a ritual. Once inside, we were just told to go in the other room and only ‘The Chosen’ would come out. I only remember seeing strange lights and some sort of pods we had stand in. Next thing I remember, I woke up out here. The others never came out and just vanished, no bodies have even been recovered.” She continues, “We know only a few have ever been given the power, but we can’t let it out. It must be protected. That’s why I….we need you. This is what you do, solve ancient riddles and get into places unseen for centuries.”

Sara holsters her pistols and grabs her father’s notebook. “Well then, let’s go find this source of power, shall we?” nodding toward the door.

Giving a sigh of relief, Dawn heads toward the door. ”No matter what you believe Sara, destiny brought you here. You will see that.” Smiling at her friend, “Now stop dilly dallying and get moving.”

“Oh shut-up will you.” Sara smiles making her way out the room.

Meanwhile outside the protected village……..

The LexCorps engineer steps inside the tent shaking off the cold of the mountains. He sees the woman in charge of the operation looking over maps of the area.

“Miss Electros, sorry to bother you. We have found the entrance, but….” he says nervously.

The tall Blonde woman turns her gaze to the engineer. “But what?” she says, her icy blues eyes giving the man more chills than the bitter cold wind.

“Entrance is too small for large equipment, so we’ll have to go on foot. It’s about a day’s hike in current conditions,” he says trying not to look the woman in her eyes. “Our scouts have not returned and we have lost all radio contact with them.”

Turning her attention back to the maps, she touches a finger to her ear. “Prep your men, we’re going on foot. These Monks have been here a very long time, be ready for a fight. I don’t care how peaceful they claim to be. They are an obstacle and obstacles tend to be difficult to get over” she says a slight irritation in her voice. “And it seems your scouts have went and gotten themselves killed.” Looking back at the engineer; “Go and get ready. We are leaving at daybreak.”

“Yes ma’am,” he says, happy to go back out into the subzero temperature where it seems to be a bit warmer.

Path to the Mountain…

Sara followed Dawn through a small mountain pass high above the village. Looking back over her shoulder, Sara is still in disbelief that the Monks seem to have no care that their world may be ending.

“It’s not right, we should stay and make sure they are safe,” she says with a sigh.

Dawn continues along the path without turning around, “They can take care of themselves, we are peaceful, but we know how to fight Sara. It does no good to get worked up and panic. One can be calm and still as powerful as a storm”.

“So, I have heard, but still….”

“Sara…” this time the young woman stops, “…we all have our place in the universe. Right now ours is getting you to the cave. That is what we need to be thinking on. The road of life has many paths Sara, you can go many directions, but without a purpose, you will lose your way. Now come on.”

Sara looks at her friend. “Well, old Mrs. Crachet would shit herself hearing you speak with wisdom”.

Both woman start laughing and head back down the path. Sara can’t help but to keep looking over her shoulder. ‘Something is just not right’ she thinks to herself.

At the Village’s hidden entrance…..

Karman Electros steps over the bullet riddled bodies of several monks. She can feel the warm air emitting from the entrance to this ‘sacred’ place inside the mountain. Something powerful is here. Was it a person, an object? Not having many details to work from, Karman could feel the electricity within her body sparking the nerves, ready to be unleashed at a moment’s notice. She did not like walking into the unknown…

“Karman….I see two woman headed up the mountain away from the village. One dressed as a Monk, the other in civvies,” The voice in her ear reported.

Karman pauses and presses a finger to her ear. “That’s our target Solo, stay with them, we are not that far behind you. We’ll keep some troops at the entrance to block any escape” her voice turns harsh. “And Solo, do not engage. You will just follow them. Understood?”

“Yeah, yeah. Keep your panties on Kar. I got this,” came the reply. SoloFatality as she is known, watches the two women walk along the path. “Well, the Monk woman I know and who is that with you. Not a Monk… who might you be?” she says making note of the other woman’s attire. Something seems familiar about her. Not giving it another thought, she slowly makes her way along the rocks, keeping well behind the two women.

Cave Entrance….

Climbing their way up the path, Sara notices a slight dark spot while approaching the mountain. She immediately sees that this is not a natural formation. She allows her eyes to take in the surroundings. The rocks lying around the base seem odd, picking one up she can see that one half appears to be burnt and it appears to have been cut. Taking out her camera, she snaps a few shots for further study and walks up next to Dawn.

Dawn stops and nods her head toward the side of the mountain. “We are here,” she says. “Still taking photos I see,” watching Sara with her camera. “Same Sara,” she says smiling at her friend.

“Of course,” she nods. “Now, what can you tell about this ‘cave’,” obviously stating the fact that it is not natural.

“I honestly do not know much. We have only have stories of the ‘Gods’ sending a fiery bolt from the sky penetrating the mountain like a knife through water, as the story is told,” she says making her way closer to the entrance. “Our history only tells us that after some time, a few Monks ventured inside, but only one returned many days later. He came back changed, not remembering anything about being inside, but he looked unharmed, healthy and could make water appear out of thin air. He became the first of ‘The Chosen’ as we became to be known as,” she says knowingly.

Sara kept looking over the entrance, taking pictures and making mental notes. “So, this was not done by the Monks?” she asked.

“Not from what our history reads, but that’s been many centuries and we both know how stories can change without proof,” she says, watching Sara study the entrance.

“There…” Sara points at the top of the entrance. Faded over the years, Sara sees the remains of symbols she has never seen before. “Symbols, or what’s left of them, just at the top,” she says climbing on some rocks to get a closer look and for better shot with her camera. “Do you know these symbols, or have any idea what they are?”

Dawn climbs up joining Sara. “I have never seen these before, neither here nor in any of our history. I will speak to the elders on this and see what they may know….”

Turning to speak with Dawn, Sara see the advancing soldiers coming up along the path and a flash of light coming from a tall blonde woman leading them.

“Get down,” she yells, jumping toward the astonished Monk, grabbing her by the waist knocking her to the ground.

The lightning bolts past close enough that Sara sensed the faint smell of burning hair and hit the mountain sending shards of rock and debris in all directions.

Down the path…

Solo keeps watch on the woman as they seem to be studying the entrance of the cave. Looking over her should she sees the tall blonde and soldiers quietly making their way toward her. Catching the eye of Karman, she points to the two women at the top of the path.

Karman nods to Solo and looks to see the two women climbing on top of some rocks, one of them looked to be taking pictures. ‘Must have found something interesting’, she thinks to herself. Motioning with silent hand signals, she has the LexCorps troops spread out on either side of the path. Looking back up the mountain, she notices the woman with the Monk catches her standing along the path. Without hesitating Karman feels the static build in her body and a nanosecond later unleashes bolts of lightning from her hands toward the two woman. Only to see them miss, as the woman dove out of the way, taking the Monk with her.

Solo, catching then hint to engage as the bolts of electricity fly past her head starts firing at the women.

“Go, you slackers,” she yells at the troops. “Take them alive if possible, if not oh well…” she says and keeps firing her rifle.

Mountain entrance….

Sara rolls as she hits the ground, pulling her pistols as she takes refuge behind some fallen rocks. The young Monk gracefully somersaults over beside Sara. Weaving her hands, Dawn causes the ground to shake as stones gather together in front of them, forming a shield of stone, rock and dirt to protect the two women. Sara looks to Dawn as the rocks continue to block the incoming bullets.

“We need to go now,” she says nodding toward the entrance.

“Go Sara” she says. “I’ll delay them, but I must return to my village to make sure they are safe.”

“No, you’re coming with me.” Sara yells while firing her pistols, dropping an engineer a little too eager to advance.

The rock shield starts to fade enticing both women slump down behind the rocks.

“I have a different path Sara, I’ll be fine,” she says.
Dawn again waves her hand causing the ground to shake. Sara watches as the boulder and rocks come together. Not forming a shield, but a rather large man-sized golem; The Guardian, as Dawn calls it. Sara heard Dawn speak of her power, but never witnessed it. The mass of rocks lurches its way toward their attackers gathering the attention of the incoming fire. Hearing the bullets ricochet off the golem, Sara couldn’t help but peer over the rocks and watch as the creature tears into the LexCorps troops.

Sara looks at Dawn in amazement. The young Monk keeps launching rocks down the path.

“Dawn, now, while they are distracted,” Sara yells.

The young Monk turns to Sara and once again forms a shield of rock and stone, but this time it’s in front of the mountain entrance.

“Dammit go, I can’t hold them off forever,” Dawn yells. “What you seek is down there, now go.”

Sara puts a hand on her shoulder and nods, giving her a silent thank you and be careful look.

“Here goes nothing,” Sara thinks to herself. She holsters her pistols and sprints toward the mountain, diving into the darkness.

Down the Path…

Karman Electros watches the two young women taking refuge behind the fallen rocks up the path. She smirks as the Monk forms a shield of stone protecting them and turns her attention to the rock golem decimating the engineers. “So, she is one of these ‘Chosen’ Lex was talking about,” she says, not impressed.

Karman launches herself into the sky. “Enough,” she yells at the golem. “This ends now.”

Raising her hands to the sky, static fills the air as storm clouds begin to form. Lightening begins striking the golem in rapid succession. The creature turns and starts headed toward Karman. She once again bombards the golem with bolt after bolt of electricity, finally sending shards of rock in all directions.

Looking back up the path, she gets a good look at the other woman with the Monk as she is running toward the cave entrance.

“Do not let them escape” she yells at the few remaining troops. “Or you will be next, I don’t take failure lightly”. Sending a few more bolts toward the entrance, just to see them deflected by the stone shield, Karman drops back down to ground level. “Now Miss Croft, what are you doing here?” she thinks to herself.

Mountain entrance….

Dawn, watches the Blonde woman as she sent bolts of lightning toward her guardian, decimating it. The woman turns and sends more toward a running Sara as she enters the mountain, just to be deflected harmlessly away. Dawn turns toward the mountain and slams her fist into the ground. The Earth shakes as column after column of rocks burst forth from the ground creating a wall of rock leading from the Monk to the mountain entrance. The substantial shaking and column of rocks causes the side of the mountain to break loose and collapse, covering the entrance.

“Good luck Sara,” she says, just as multiple explosions knock her to the ground.

Down the Path…

SoloFatality fumes as her bullets can’t seem to get through the shielding of the Monk. She does land several shots into the golem as it tears its way down the path, but that seems to have no effect as well. Reaching to her belt, the purple haired woman grabs hold of multiple explosives with the intent of taking the golem down. Pulling the pins and preparing to throw, the sky grows dark and lightning flashes as Karman start blasting the creature.

“Fucking show off,” she mumbles and then chuckles as her lightening bounces off the Monks shield. “Hmmm not much more effective than my bullets eh?” she says smiling. Solo just shrugs and tosses the handful of explosives toward the Monk.

As multiple explosions impact the mountain, Karman turns her gaze to the village below. “Units 5 and 6, hit the village now. Send in the armored troops and let us find out what we can learn from these Monks, I’ll join you shortly,” a wicked grin crossing her face. Lifting a few feet of the ground, Karman turns to the purpled haired mercenary.

“Solo…” she says, “get inside that mountain and if you run across the Relic Hunter….well, she likes tombs so much, make this one hers,” and with that Karman flies off toward the village.

Inside the Mountain…..

Sara picks herself up after dropping into darken room. Clicking the on the light attached to her pack, she looks at her bloody knees and elbows. “Real smart Sara, look before you leap next time,” she mumbles to herself. The sounds of fighting still ringing above her, Sara glances back up to the entrance as the ground begins to shake. Hearing the mountain crack, rocks start falling in around her. Quickly looking around Sara dives toward a small out crop as the light from entrance fades. Picking herself up once again, she covers her mouth and puts on her goggles to protect against the dust storm from the falling debris.

“Must be Dawn covering my tracks,” she says, talking to the empty cave. As the last of the rocks fall, taking the last of the light with it, Sara checks her surroundings. The room, or what’s left of it now is not a natural formation. She notices no tell-tell signs of tool marks along the walls and sees no signs or markers like the ones outside the entrance. “So who or what made this,” she ponders, “these rocks look burnt. And if the Monks story is correct, what ‘God’ would burn a hole in the mountain and why?”

Cautiously making her way through the outcrop and further into the mountain, she feels the ground shaking again. Pausing to let the shaking stop, she thinks back to her father and his fascination with these Monks. Isolated from the world outside, ‘The Chosen’ protected them for a thousand years. Even Hitler and his obsession with the occult had his Nazi regime looking for this place. With a long sigh, she feels a rush of sadness, her father never made it this far. After he’s last visit here he was betrayed and cut down by Lex Luther for his research. The same man sending his supers and troops after her now.

Shaking off her memories, Sara ventures further along the outcrop coming to a large circular room. Scanning the room she notices the walls are covered with a moss like substance. The room looks innocent enough, but something is wrong. Having been in her share of tombs and caves, Sara can’t help but feel that this is not natural. Running a gloved hand across the moss, the rough stone edges give way to perfectly smooth stone.

“What the hell… this is not stone, it’s metal.”

Tapping on the wall to verify she was right, Sara pulls some of the moss away and sees more markings like the ones at the entrance. Old and faded, the intricate patterns are nothing like she has ever seen before. Taking a few quick shots with her camera, she proceeds along the edge of the room then suddenly stops. Taking her light off her pack, she shines it along the wall and toward the floor. The light reflects a very small thin line running what looks like the length of the floor.

“Sneaky little devil,” she says. Ever so slightly, Sara steps over the thin line, trying not to slip on the moss covered floor. Sighing and rolling her eyes, “Traps, always bloody traps. Just once I would like to enter a room and not have to worry about being stabbed, shot, poked, falling to my death or blow to bits.”

As she takes another step, she pauses. Leaning toward the wall she hears a very faint hum. “I must be hearing things,” she thinks. The hum gets louder as Sara dives to the floor, just as the thin line emits what appears to be electricity from the floor to the top off the room, burning the moss along its path.

Sara squints eyes trying to regain her sight from the sudden flash of electricity. “Ok…..let’s add electrocution to the list,” she mumbles while gathering her bearings. Slowly moving along the wall again, she makes out a circular indention about 20 meters in front of her. Thinking it may be a door, Sara continues toward the formation.

Mountain entrance….

Eyes blurred, ears ringing, Dawn slowly tries to pick herself up. Controlling her breathing and silencing the ringing, the young Monks steadies herself and begins to summon another guardian golem. Within a few seconds, the golem is put together and immediately starts down the path toward the attackers.

“Hold” Dawn commands now standing up. “Come on, we must get back to the village.”

The golem turns and makes its way back toward the Monk, as bullets begin to bounce of its rocky shell. Now feeling a bit steadier, Dawn makes her way through the rubble towed her village below.

Down the Path…

Solo just smiles as she reloads her weapons. “Stop shooting you knuckleheads,” she yells to the few remaining troops.

“You can’t hurt the damn thing and the Monk is not our mission. Now get your shit together and come on. We have a mountain to crack open.”

Inside the mountain…

Continuing along the wall, the Relic Hunter makes it to the formation across the room. Examining the outline, it appears to be a door, but no handle is visible. She gave it a push and nothing. Studying the door further she cannot see any scrapes along the bottom or top of the door to show which way it may open. Thinking she may have missed something, she ponders going back across the room, but the thought of getting electrified is not something she wishes to do today.

Pulling back some of the mossy growth on either side of the door, she notices the outline of a panel of some kind. Kneeling down to take a closer look she finds more of the odd inscriptions just above it. “What have we here? Looks like a hand print.” Putting a gloved hand just above the panel, the imprint is almost twice the size of hers and only has three extensions where fingers would be.

“Bloody hell, this is not human,” she says.

Sara keeps examining the panel trying to find a way to open the door. She knows the Monks come in here…suddenly a series of explosions reminds her that she can’t ponder very long about the owner of the hand needed to open the door.

Sighing she looks back to the panel. “Think Sara, dammit, think.”

She puts her hand on the panel and places the other on top filling the gaps making up for the size. Nothing. She shifts her hands slightly, stretching her fingers as far as she can, she feels a slight vibration from the panel. Expecting a shock, she jerks her hands away, but the door starts to slide open with just a hushed hiss.

Sunlight blinds her as the door rolls open and into the wall. Raising her hand against the light, she realizes it’s not the sun, but artificial light illuminating the room. Moving slowly, letting her eye adjust to the light, the room is filled with consoles, tables, large tubes and equipment. Multiple seats are arranged making it appear to be a bridge of some sort.

“What the….what have got yourself into Sara?” she says. “Walked yourself right into a damn Star Trek episode.”

Another explosion causes the light to flicker slightly. Glancing over the consoles, which all appear dead, Sara quickly searches around the room. She makes her way over to the tubes on the far side of the wall. Some are damaged from the looks, but three are attached to an insert in the wall connected by various size tubes. Timidly she opens one as a light flicker on inside. There a padding looking seat and stands about a meter above her size.

“Now what…what the hell am I supposed to do,” she says glancing up hoping for some divine intervention. “Where are you now Old Monk……?”

The pain is intense. The bullet hits her left shoulder, spinning her around causing her to drop to a knee. Instincts kicking in, Sara rolls to the side behind a console. Pistol in hand she fires a few shots through the open door, winching at sound echoing off the walls.

Solo grins knowing she hit just what she was aiming for. “I could have easily killed you Miss Croft,” she yells from across the circular room, “as I was instructed, but I need information which you will provide”.

Clinching her teeth to block the pain, Sara keeps her pistol aimed at the door, while scanning the room for a way out.

“Bloody hell that hurt. You could have just asked nicely,” she yells at the door. She notices a panel like the one used to open door a few meters in front of her, if she can make it.

Keeping the Relic Hunter in her crosshairs, she chuckles. “I thought I just did? Ah, but no matter, you and your Monk friend have found something of great power or know where it’s located and you are going to tell me. Yes?”

Solo motions the men with her to proceed in the room toward the door.

Sara sets her pistol down and swings her pack around in front of her. Never taking her eyes off the door, she reaches in her pack and retrieves and small plastic bag. Using her teeth to open it, she pours the powered quick clot on her shoulder. The powder burns as it seals the holes in her shoulder causing her growl at the pain.

Speaking through the pain, Sara ask “And what….makes you think I will tell you….. Miss?” she trails off the question.

“My name is of no concern Miss Croft, but you may call me Solo, Solofatality”, says the woman grinning at her own name.

Gingerly pulling her pack back on and grabbing her pistol, Sara rolls her eyes and mumbles “Oh you’re one of those.” She pops her pistol up and started to squeeze the trigger seeing a few men walking toward the door and right toward the trap.

“Ok Solo,” Sara says sarcastically. “I mean really, what it is with all the fancy names with you people. Why not Beth or Susie or Donna. Wait, there’s one of those already…..”.

The flash of light and electricity accompanying the sounds of screaming coming from the room was the break Sara needed and bolted toward the door trying to reach the panel.

Temporarily blinded by the flash, Solo fires a round at the diving Relic Hunter, but misses wildly. Lining up for another shot, she sees the door start to close, but it stops short leaving a small gap. She looks across the room at the shredded and burning bodies of her men, leaving her alone in the room.

Sara keeps trying the panel, but the door seems stuck. “Dammit,” she swears. Still looking and not seeing a way out, Sara readies herself for a fight. She knows she is at a disadvantage and her enemy outside the door has all the time and the advantage.

Cursing under her breath, “Solo, I have not found anything. I didn’t have time. And if you didn’t notice, this is not a tomb, but a ship of some kind. And yes there are more traps,” she says hoping to buy herself more time.

“Well played Miss Croft, but this is not over.” Lowering her weapon, Solo abandons her position and walks toward the burning bodies. Not affected by the burning, dismembered flesh, Solo pauses when hearing of more traps.

“Forgive me Miss Croft if I don’t believe that you…the famous Relic Hunter has not found anything. And wow…this is a ship, that’s fucking cool huh? Well, seems we have an impasse of sorts. So, I’ll just be on my way then.” She chuckles and tosses three round metal objects through the gap in the door.

“Hope you can hold your breath a very, very long time Miss Croft. The toxin in those grenades is very painful. I’m just disappointed that I won’t get to see your face as your insides burn,” she says laughing.

Village…..

Karman picks up the Monk and looks at his smoldering body.

“Tell me what I need to know and you may live to see another day Monk”.

The Monk, showing no fear, stares into the ice blue eyes of the woman and only laughs. Enraged, Kaman shocks the man as his laughing turns to screams and then to silence. Tossing his lifeless body aside she sees a soldier running up to her.

“Ma’am, we have gotten nowhere with these Monks and we have lost a good number of men” he says with a trembling voice, “some of them had powers…..”
If looks could kill the man would have been dead in his tracks. Seeing the woman giving him the ‘do you think I care look,’ he continues.

“A search of the area has revealed nothing as well. The techs found no books, no writing, and no signs of anything of use. We are still searching, but with so few left…” he pauses, waiting to be struck down, “…it will take some time.”

Karman lifts off into the air.

“Leave some men in case the girl returns. Solo is still hunting Miss Croft. Maybe between the two of them we can get some answers.”
Slowly flying away, she looks over her shoulder, “Burn it all to the ground.”
Climbing higher into the air she lifts a finger to her ear piece,

“It’s me, we’ve got nothing, but a young female Monk seems to have harnessed the power, along with some of the now dead Monks, but she is much more powerful. No signs of her, but I have” she pauses, “well I have left her a message. She will come to us.”

Karman thinks that she should have mentioned the relic hunter, but quickly dismisses the thought. “She won’t live to see tomorrow anyway,” she says, and disappears into the clouds.

Inside the Mountain….

Sara sees the grenades bounce inside the room and knows there is nowhere for her to go. The grenades start to release their deadly toxin and she can already feel her eyes and lungs start to burn. Suddenly, she remembers the tubes; she left one open. Sprinting over to the pod, she jumps inside and pulls the lid closed and hears an audible click followed by a humming noise. She feels her skin being shocked as the tube lights up and the humming grows louder.

“Oh shit,” she breathes….everything went dark.

Solo began climbing out of the cave when she hears the screams of woman coming from the other room. Pausing just for a moment, she touches the radio to her ear.

“Yeah it’s me, your troops are dead and from the screams coming from Miss Croft, well, seems Miss Croft won’t be of any use from the sounds of it. Copy that, I’m on my way back now.”

Pausing for just a moment, Solo looks back into the mountain. Was that thunder she heard before the screams? Solo shrugs and proceeds back down the path.

Village….

Dawn stared through the smoke and flames of the village she called home. The bodies of her friends and family she knew lie among the bodies of the assailants. Cut and bruised from fighting off the last of the LexCorps troops, she ignores the blood and pain and tosses the limp body of a soldier to the side as she stands as her guardian patrols the area for more threats.

Still not believing what has happened to the peaceful life she knew since she was found by these peaceful monks, the Earth beneath her rumbles and cracks as the tears of anger and sadness flow from her eyes. Remembering her training she slows her breathing, causing the Earth to cease it’s trembling as she makes her way to the main square. Checking for survivors, she notices a wounded soldier trying to move from under a now destroyed archway. As she approaches, he reaches for a radio, but the young woman slaps the radio from his hands and pulls him from under the debris.

“Why did you do this,” she screams at the man. “We were peaceful and harmed no one.”

The LexCorps Engineer, trying to hide his pain, smiles at Dawn showing his broken and bloodied teeth.

“These Monks hold secrets to certain powers and Mr. Luther wants it to fight off the invasion. What Mr. Luther wants, he gets, one way or another” he says pausing only to cough up more blood. “Who are you and why do you care?” he says eyeing the woman. “You are not one of these monks.”
The young woman’s face tightened with rage as the Earth started trembling at her feet.

“My name is of no concern” she says; hands crushing the man’s arms.
“They were my friends, my family, and you slaughtered them, for the power that I now have inside me.” She pulls the man close to her and looks him in the eyes, not caring to see the fear in his eyes.

“You have made an enemy today, the like of which you don’t understand.”

She turns and tosses the man to the rocky golem; the screams of the dying man fall on deaf ears as she looks over the senseless destruction once again.

Two Days Later….

“Sara, Sara, wake up. Sara you need to wake up,” Dawn yells trying to revive the relic hunter. “Sara, its Dawn. Wake up please.”

Sara slowly opens her eyes and sees Dawn leaning over her. She tries to get up, but her body is not reacting to her wishes. “What happened? Where, how...” her voice trails off.

“Thank the Gods you’re alive. Don’t speak and lie still. Very few of us survive what you went through,” says the Monk reaching for a canister of liquid.

“Here, drink this. It will speed up the healing,” she says, lowering the edge of the canister to Sara’s lips.

In a haze, Sara felt the warm liquid flow all through her body as the light once again fades away.

Few days later…..

Sara wakes up, the sun shining through the cracks in the roof adding to the pounding in her head. Blocking the light with her hand and sitting up, she notices she’s not wearing any clothes. Rubbing her aching head, she reaches for a set robes next to the bed. Her body aches with every movement as she slowly tries to stand and get dressed.

Dawn enters the partially standing structure. “Sara,” she screams. “You’re awake, thank the Gods,” she says, rushing over to hug the weary hunter.

“Dawn? What the hell is going on? How long I have been out? And why was I naked?” she says returning the Monk’s hug.

“It’s been almost five days since you entered the cave. LexCorps destroyed my village and killed everyone. Oh Sara, I killed them all, my village, the attackers, it’s all my fault. I should have protected them. It was my duty.”

“Not your fault, they were following me. I’m so sorry Dawn I had no idea they knew about your village or what I was looking for.”

Dawn wipes away her tears. “No Sara, our village has remained secret for centuries. Something does not feel right.” Looking to Sara, “Speaking of feeling right, how do you feel?”

Standing and finding her balance, Sara takes a few steps, rolls her shoulders, hands and arms testing their function. She looks at her shoulder where she was shot and sees no marks, but says nothing to Dawn.

“Feel sore, but everything seems to be functioning well enough.” She turns to the seated Monk. “What happened to me down there? In that tube? Remember the grenades, the gas burning my eyes and lungs, I ran to the tube, a light a humming noise and the feeling of getting shocked.”

“It’s different for everyone. It gives you a gift, if you can survive. It’s how I have the ability to control the Earth. That place, for centuries has given ‘The Chosen’ powers of one of the four elements. Earth, Fire, Wind and Water. The thing is, very few survive and no one knows why.”

Sara looks down at her hands and back to the Monk. “What did it do to me then?”

Dawn walks over to Sara and places a hand on her shoulder. “I believe I know, but you have been though an ordeal and let’s not push it. We will let you rest and see….”

“Dawn, it’s a ship in the mountain. An alien spacecraft, I remember consoles, like a bridge and it still has power. We need to get back in there and study…”

“Sara, stop. We knew it was a ship, but we didn’t understand why or how it gives its power. Now, sit down and rest. There will be time for that later. I went looking for you and found you outside the entrance. I buried the entrance before bringing you here. We can discuss this after you rest….”

"No, I’ve resting enough.” The lightning bolt flashed from her hands, striking the wall of the building blasting a hole though the stone. Both women stared at the hole and then to each other.

Dawn grabs her arm, “I was right, you have the power of Wind. And Sara,” she says, looking at the hole in the wall, “take it easy. You have to lean to control that.”

“Wow, did that just come from me? It’s like that blonde bimbo who attacked us,” Sara says as she looks to the Monk and then back to her hands.

Laughing, Dawn hugs Sara. “Yes it did come from you. Now sit back down and I’ll get you some food. You need your strength back.” Dawn makes her way to the door.

Sara sits back on the cot. “Dawn?”

“Yes”

“Where are my clothes?”

Looking over her shoulder Dawn just smiles and gives Sara a wink and walks out the door.

Up the Mountain….

Looking through the scoop of her rifle, Solofatality watched the two women through the cracks of the roof.

“Well look at you Miss Croft. I knew you were too tough to die down there. Now, whatever shall we do with you?”
Cara Lace
Cara Lace
Diva

Wow epic Happy You worked in a lot of characters in a kewl way and i like the lil scene with solo at the end.

Relic / Karman
New Girl

Thanks. I wanted to put multiple characters in the story to introduce them in a way. Glad you liked it. More to come...
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: