Who's Online
DCUO Announcements

ThursdayFridaySaturdaySundayMondayTuesdayWednesday
B'Day - Veridian Star
League NewsFeed Icon

No News Is Currently Available

Poll Widget
No poll is currently assigned to this widget.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Relic / Karman
New Girl

re: Tree of Life Atropa Part 1

Emily Thorn - Atropa
Britannia Rogers - Gypsy Rogue

Part One

Vines and roots slowly make their way across the bedroom floor. Inch by inch, they twist and turn wrapping themselves around the desk, nightstand and bedpost. Climbing their way up the bed, they pause, just for a moment, before gently wrapping around the exposed legs of the sleeping woman. Making their way past her knees, thighs, and waist they stop, resting on her chest like a baby being cuddling her mother while the vines softly stroked the woman’s hair.

Beep…Beep…Beep…

The woman wakes up franticly wiping her arms and legs as she jumps out of bed. She turns on the light and rips the covers off the bed looking around the room.

Beep…Beep…Beep…

Catching her breath and satisfied she is not coved by roots and vines, she reaches over and shuts the alarm off. Still shivering from her dream and not the morning cold she stretches away the morning kinks and swears she can smell fresh flowers.

Shrugging, she makes her way into the kitchen for some much needed coffee failing to notice the small petals and piece of vine lying under her bed….

Britannia Rogers; Brit for short, walks into the kitchen of the two bedroom Metro condo and sees her roommate sipping morning coffee.

“Wow, you look rough M. You feeling ok this morning?” says the auburn haired Romanian, grabbing her favorite mug, pouring her some coffee.

Emily Thorn looks at her roommate, “Gee thanks Brit. Yeah, I had a really weird dream about vines and flowers….” she says shivering at the thought ….”So I didn’t sleep well.”

Walking over to Emily, she gives her a kiss on the cheek and runs her fingers through her hair before taking a seat next to her.

“Well M, we did have a rough time a couple days ago at the labs and…. well…. you do work with plants all day, sooooo….”

“Haha Yeah, true.” Emily says laughing. “So glad you were there for me the other day and we still need to talk about what happened,” she says thinking back to the attack on S.T.A.R. labs.

“You never said you had any kind of powers and we’ve known each other for years and you never really talk about your past. I knew you liked magic and spells, but I thought that was just a fascination of sorts.”

Brit cuts her off, “It’s not something I advertise. I don’t wear a flashy spandex costume and I’ve only used my powers a few times, when needed. Besides, I like having a normal job and being a normal girl.”

“But what you did was amazing, shooting those orbs and stopping those bullets; I think even that Miss America lady was impressed.”

“I highly doubt Commanderette America was impressed. All I did was my job; to protect lad personnel and of course my roomy. I like having you around and I can’t afford this place on my own,” she says giving Emily a slight smile.

“If I had known, you could have turned some ex-boyfriends into toads,” she says laughing.

“I’m not a witch M; it’s not that kind of magic.”

“Still, what do you thinks going to happen now that people know? I mean with all the cameras and ….”

She sips her coffee and sees Brit give her that look to change the subject; “We still on for lunch today?”

“Of course, now go get ready and let’s start our fun filled day of clean up at the lab,” she says patting Emily on the leg and getting up from the table. “Come on, before I get my cuffs and drag you in.”

Pausing in the hallway, Brit looks over at her roommate with a look of concern. She opens her hand and stares at the small pieces of vine she had taken off Emily’s hair.

Two Days ago,
S.T.A.R. Labs; Plant Genomics Division….

Emily Thorn unlocks her desk drawer and removes a small box. Was addressed directly to her and not the lab with no return address, inside was a small glass bottle, carefully wrapped, containing several small plants along with a note and a small card with a phone number saying ‘Your eyes only.’

Looking at the note again; “You came highly recommended Miss Thorn and I trust you can keep this between us for now,” signed S. Croft.

The only S. Croft she knows of is Sara Croft; a well-known archeologists and relic hunter. No matter how many times she looks at the note since receiving the package yesterday, Emily had a million questions running through her mind.

Causally spinning the card between her fingers she examines the small plants now sitting on her desk. She picks up her personnel phone and calls the number.

Their conversation was short and to the point. Emily wanted to ask questions, but was only told that these plants were in a thousand year old sealed tomb found in Northern Africa, but looked as though they just sprouted. Miss Croft wanted them tested for various reasons, but the most important was how they are still alive.

Emily looks at the phone as the call ended abruptly. ‘Now, Miss Croft, why did you send these to me?’ she wonders. ‘And why all the secrecy?’

Sighing, she looks back at the jar of plants. The plants look familiar to the young Genomic tech as she starts typing and scrolling through the labs database until she finds what she is looking for.

Atropa belladonna, commonly known as belladonna or deadly nightshade, is a perennial herbaceous plant in the nightshade family Solanaceae, which includes tomatoes, potatoes, and eggplant. It is native to Europe, North Africa, and Western Asia
The foliage and berries are extremely toxic when ingested, containing tropane alkaloids.These toxins include atropine, scopolamine and hyoscyamine, which cause delirium and hallucinations,[1][2][3] and are also used as pharmaceutical anticholinergics.
Atropa belladonna has unpredictable effects. The antidote for belladonna poisoning is physostigmine or pilocarpine, the same as for atropine.
It has a long history of use as a medicine, cosmetic, and poison. Before the Middle Ages, it was used as an anesthetic for surgery; the ancient Romans used it as a poison (the wife of Emperor Augustus and the wife of Claudius both were rumored to have used it for murder); and, predating this, it was used to make poison-tipped arrows. The genus name Atropa comes from Atropos ("unable to be turned aside"), one of the three Fates in Greek mythology, who cut the thread of life after her sisters had spun and measured it; and the name "bella donna" is derived from Italian and means "beautiful woman" because the herb was used in eye-drops by women to dilate the pupils of the eyes to make them appear seductive.

“Well, that seems to be what these little guys are, but how are they still alive? Need to run a few test,” she says to herself, taking the bottle and note, placing it her lab coat pocket. She gathers her laptop and proceeds toward the labs workstations.

John Tucker watches Emily talking with someone, but what catches his eye is the small jar of plants she put in her pocket. He makes his toward Emily as she is leaving her office.

“Good morning gorgeous,” he says smiling at Emily. “We still on for dinner tonight?”

”John, I told you no already. I have work I need to catch up on.”

“So you said, but you still have to eat,” he says putting a hand on her shoulder.

Emily cuts her eyes to John’s hand, “I need to get some work done, maybe later next week,” she says with a slight irritation in her voice.

John smirks and reaches for her pocket. “Wouldn’t have anything to do with the plants in your pocket, now would it?”

Emily slaps his hand away. “That is none of your concern John.”

John pulls his hand back and moves closer to Emily. “It is, if it affects this lab. We have procedures and strict security protocols, which it looks to me may have been violated. Now, I can forget I saw anything if you just…..”

BBBBOOOOOOMMMM, an explosion rocks the lab as sirens start wailing.

‘ATTENTION ALL PERSONNEL, LEXCORPS HAS INFLITRATED THE LABS. SECURITY PERSONNEL TO YOUR POST. NONESSENTIAL PERSONNEL PLEASE EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY.’
[/b]

to be continued......
Cara Lace
Cara Lace
Diva

re: Tree of Life Atropa Part 1

Very nice, i like your writing style Happy

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: