Who's Online
NEW @ DCUO Forums

ThursdayFridaySaturdaySundayMondayTuesdayWednesday
B'Day - Veridian Star
League NewsFeed Icon

No News Is Currently Available

Poll Widget
No poll is currently assigned to this widget.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Celtic_Frost
Star

re: Celtic's Christmas Chapter 1

Celtic’s Christmas

Chapter one: Keeping a promise

JUSTICE GIRLS HEADQUARTERS:
Location classified

The sound of echoing footsteps sounded through the hallway as a trio made their way down the hall, heading to the section where members of the Justice Girls were assigned living quarters while they were present for their duty shifts. The trio stopped at a large ornate door covered in Nordic runes, pulsing with blue energy. Standing fifteen feet tall and with a width of ten feet the two giant stone doors stood like an ominous warning to those not invited to pass them.

Like the fabled doors to the Nordic realm of Valhalla that only allowed those deemed worthy to pass them, the doors were a silent statement that the one who resided within valued privacy above all else.

“Well, may as well get this over with” said the smallest of the three, the one in the middle. She was not a justice girl, just a guest who had been admitted into the headquarters to deliver a message to the person beyond the doors. Placing a hand on each of the stone doors she began to push them open to enter.

“No! Wait! You don’t want….” Cried the other two in alarm and fear moving to grab her hands, but it was too late. They were fast, but not fast enough. They acted too slowly and it was too late.

BOOM!

The doors were quickly blown shut by a blast of air so cold that it chilled the three of them to the bone. The force by which it blew against them caused the three to stumble backwards, falling and landing in various sprawled positions on the shiny tiled floor of the hallway on the far side against the wall.

The resounding clap of thunder that followed shook the entire headquarters building, causing some of the lights in the hallway to shatter and pop and some of the windows to crack slightly. Almost immediately the door at the end of the hallway burst open and three figures raced down the hallway, stopping in front of the group.

Looking up, the girl that had originally tried to open the doors knew right away she was in big trouble.

Standing in the middle of the group was Super Power, one of the founding five members of the Justice Girls. Even before she and the other four founded the legendary group whose fame was almost on par with the justice league themselves, Super Powers exploits, in another time, would have been the subject of the songs of bards, the tales of muses and even possibly the storytellers of Themescara.

To her right, shield slung over her shoulder, was the Commanderette. Granddaughter of a world war two hero, she was living proof that even women can rise to overcome the stereotypes that still remain in a world still containing sexism and ignorance. She looked down at the girl with an angry frown and it was very clear that a loud and long reprimand was in her future.

To Super Powers right stood a woman in a full body exosuit set of battle armor. The girl recognized the battle armor of Jennifer Styger, The Iron Beauty, right away. Just two days previous she had helped save a cruise ship from shearing open when it ran aground on an unforeseen reef brought to the surface due to an undersea battle in the kingdom of Mermadia. Although the kingdom did apologize for the damage and made restitution to the cruise line, there was still a bit of not so concealed hostility between the surface world and that of the undersea kingdom.

Several more members of the Justice Girls had joined them by that moment and were all murmuring curiously and looking at the doors with looks of curiosity and wonder, But Super Power also saw another look as well. Fear. Even to this day there were some members of the organization that were terrified of the woman who remained behind those doors. Fear that many felt was well justified.

Privately Super Power agreed that their fears were very well founded. She knew the struggle the woman behind the doors endured every day and she and she alone knew exactly what could, and would, happen if she ever lost control. They stood a better chance against Darkseid himself if that happened.

“What the hell is going on here?” Demanded Super Power, hands on her hips as she looked down at the three and scowled. She had plans to visit family and was ready to go and now had this to deal with.

The three slowly got to their feet, being sure not to slip on the ice slick that was forming from the cold radiating from the doors. Facing the group, the girl on the left jerked her thumb at the middle one and scowled down at her.

“Captain Obvious here, just tried to march into Celtic’s sanctum uninvited without knocking or even asking permission” Chroma Arrow told her with blatant sarcasm clearly directed at the girl, who was doing a fantastic job of studying how intricate the plain floor tiles were at the moment.

There was a resounding slap that echoed through the hallway as Super Power slapped her forehead with her hand, the impact sounding like a rifle shot in the confined space. Placing her head in her hands she groaned.

“For the love of god…….” she moaned in despair quietly.

At once mutterings began to sweep the crowd directed at the girl who was looking down at the floor and sniffling now.

“Damn crazy fool” said one

“That girl’s got a death wish” muttered another

“Yup. USDA Grade A Dumbass right there” Sneered a third

“If she’s that stupid may she should join “Jackasses Anonymous” grumbled a fourth

“Miss Styger, I am currently estimating a 99.3333 repeating chance that the girl may not survive this encounter” came a voice inside The Iron Beauty’s radio interface. She merely glared at the HUD in reply.

The Commanderette, upon hearing Chroma Arrow’s words, temporally forgot her professional composure. Darting past Chroma Arrow, she grabbed the girl by the front of her shirt, lifted her with both hands and slammed her against the wall. At once The Iron Beauty, Chroma Arrow and Jade Ray rushed forward, each grabbing an arm and Chroma Arrow wrapping her arms around the Commanderettes waist to try and separate them.

Everyone else gasped and stepped back several feet while Super Power looked on in surprise a moment.

“What the HELL were you thinking you damn moron?” The Commaderette screamed at the girl, shaking her roughly. “Don’t you know the power that woman possesses?! What in the Christ is wrong with you?” She was shrieking at the top of her lungs, her face beet red and her eyes filled with a rage normally only seen in battle. The three holding her glanced at Super Power with deep concern. This was clearly going too far. Super Power was thinking only a miracle could save them and then something happened.

The two tall stone doors swooshed open, a blast of air so cold that it caused ice and frost to instantly appear on the walls and floor. A cold wind howled and shrieked in the room for a moment before escaping into the main hallway carrying with it a torrent of ice and snow that blanketed everything in a few centimeters of white fluffy flakes. Those present threw an arm up to shield themselves from the sudden influx of air and snow and the girl squirming in the Commanderettes grip squeezed her eyes shut, whimpering in fear quietly. As her vision cleared she looked in the direction of the doors and her eyes opened wide. A gasp caught in Super Power’s throat as well as everyone else’s.

Standing in the doorway was a woman several inches over seven feet tall. Her skin the pale white of pure snow and her long thick golden locks braided in an ancient Nordic style reaching to her waist. The feathers in her hair accentuated the thick waves of locks that cascaded from her scalp like a golden water fall. Wrapped around her shoulders was a cloak made of some kind of white fur, the outer lining contoured with gold highlights with what appeared to be white letters embossed on the gold. Her high cheek bones and slanted eyes gave her a very exotic facial look, but it was her eyes that drew the most attention. The piercing blue eyes that bore into you, as blue as cobalt and as intense as the finality of death they would bore right into you as though looking through your body and into the very soul of your being.

In her right hand she held a long bladed scythe, the shaft held by long slender fingers, one finger displayed a ring with a gleaming white opal in it, and the color of the stone almost matched her skin perfectly. The blade of the scythe curved ominously downward as though the blade itself was seeking a target. The shaft of the weapon was pure white in the center with it turning a purple ice like color towards the outer edge, while the blade itself was a light blue, becoming a dark indigo along the entire edge of the blade. A soft hissing sound came from the blade as an ice like vapor slowly emanated from it in the conflicting temperature of the hallway.

On each shoulder of the woman was a raven. Each one sat perched quietly on her shoulder as it was the most natural thing in the world to them. Super Power could not resist making the comparison between what she was seeing now and the old angel and devil conscience cartoon references made popular by old Bugs Bunny cartoons. But she knew these two ravens held a far more ominous and deadly meaning.

The woman took one step beyond the doors and they slammed shut, the thunder of the closing shaking the hallway slightly and the blue runes once again flaring to life. She thumped the scythe once on the floor, the impact echoing in the deadly silent hallway, and the blade snapped back into the main handle vanishing from view. She looked at the Comanderette still holding the girl against the wall, still shaking with fear at the mere sight of her. It was obvious the girl was terrified. She struggled vainly against the Commandertees grip to get loose and flee but the Commanderette held her fast.

Release her” Came a feminine voice. It was not spoken out loud but heard in the minds of all present. It was one that while soft and gentle as the winter winds was also one that spoke with a power that one would normally attribute to an angel or other divine being. The Commanderette nodded and did so.

The founding five once said that upon hearing the woman speak to them for the first time was like standing in the presence of the female version of God. Her voice then, like now, carried with it a knowledge that crossed time and space and held wisdom that a mortal could only dream to know about. For those that heard her now for the first time their eyes went wide and they backed away from her quickly as though they were standing in the presence of the almighty himself awaiting final judgement.

The woman walked slowly over to them, each step causing the floor to shake slightly. People scurried out of her way as she approached the girl on the floor that was on her knees shaking with fear and whimpering softly. Super Power and the others stepped aside as she came to a stop in front of the girl and looked down at her with her eyes glowing a powerful intense blue for a moment. She looked from the terrified girl to Super power and the others, and then back to the girl.

Is this the one that attempted entry into my private sanctum unbidden?

“She is” Replied the Commanderette. She looked at the floor for a second and then away. Super Power and the others understood right away. She was deeply embarrassed, both personally and professionally, about losing her temper like that, especially on a guest. The Commanderette prided herself on her professionalism and bearing at all times and she lost her temper unprofessionally and without cause or reason, thereby damaging the reputation of not only herself but the organization to which she belonged. It was clear to all that now she was herself again, she was very ashamed of herself.

Handing the scythe in her hand to The Iron Beauty, the woman kneeled in from of the girl, put a finger under her chin and lifted it to look at her. The girl looked back with tears running down her face.

What is your name?” The woman asked. This time there was no ominousness to it this time. No dark tones or intimidating qualities, only kindness, compassion and understanding.

“Shelly Williams” whispered the girl softly, her tears flowing down her cheeks like a waterfall.

Reaching into her cloak, the woman got out a cloth and slowly began to dry the tears of the girl softly. Murmuring began to circulate through the crowd as the watched. Even Super Power raised an eyebrow.

Why have you come to see me Shelly Williams?

“To give you something” The girl replied just as softly as before.

What would that be?

The girl slowly stood and reached into her jacket, now wet from the melted snow flakes on it. She pulled out a small envelope and handed it to the woman. The woman took it, stood up and sliced it open with a long nail and began to read it in silence. As she read it a soft wind blew through the hallway.

A minute passed. Then two minutes. Still the woman said not a word, her eyes scanning the single page letter. She folded the letter, placed it back in the envelope and reached out to take her scythe back from the Iron Beauty. She turned and looked down at Super Power for a long moment before she spoke again.

I need to leave at once

“I take it this has something to do with that letter?”

It does

“May I ask what it is about?”

The woman handed the letter to Super Power and turned back to Shelly. Extending one hand she looked down at Shelly, helping her to her feet slowly and gently. People backed away, giving them room.

Come child, we depart at once

“You mean……I get to…..you know…..travel like you do?” Shelly asked, her eyes lighting up with joy.

Just this once. Are you ready?” Shelly nodded her head excitedly. “However before we go, I believe the Commanderette has something to say to you”.

The woman turned and focused her gaze on the Commanderette, her eyes glowing a deep cobalt blue while an ominous rumble of thunder was heard.

Don’t you?

The Commanderette gulped and looked down for a moment. Normally she was used to calling the shots, especially on the battlefield and even sometimes in garrison but this is one time where she had to eat crow. Celtic was right. She acted unprofessionally and the longer she did not apologize for it the worse it would make her look. People would lose respect for her and question her ability to lead. Worse than that it would damage the reputation of the entire Justice Girls organization. The number one rule of the Justice Girls was to always treat guests with the utmost care and respect and she violated that rule. It was time to swallow her pride and pay up. She just hoped her mouth would be big enough to swallow this very large pill called ego.

She turned and looked Shelly in the eye as she began to speak.

“I apologize for treating you like I did Shelly. It was not right of me to yell at you like that and I hope that you can forgive my unprofessionalism and that you can overlook how one of the Justice Girls acted towards you. We are supposed to be professional at all times and I lost control of my temper. I understand if you cannot forgive me and I understand that I made the Justice Girls look bad.” The Commanderette sighed sadly as she finished.

The woman turned back to Shelly and looked down at her.

Well Shelly Williams, what do you have to say?

The girl looked down and thought a moment then raised her head and looked at the Commanderette again. Walking over she looked up at her.

“It’s ok, we all have bad days. If I read the rules in the first place we would not be in this situation, so I’m just as much to blame for this as you. Even more me then you because I was the one who broke the rule in the first place. You just reacted to me doing something I wasn’t supposed to do”

Shelly walked back over to the woman and went to take her hand but the woman stopped her. She looked up at her curiously as the woman kneeled in front of her.

I am also at fault Shelly Williams. All the Justice Girls know that I value my privacy above all else. I cannot explain to you why just now but it is important that I have several hours a day to myself. I am sorry that I acted like I did towards you. I was not aware you were coming and any of the girls here can attest that I do not do well with surprises. At All.

The woman swept her arm to indicate everyone present. To the shock of everyone, Shelly pulled the woman down towards her and wrapped her arms around her neck as much as she could.

“It’s ok. You are only human after all”

A happy gasp went from Super Power, Jade Ray, Chroma Arrow, The Iron Beauty and the Commanderette as the woman wrapped her arms around the child and hugged her back.

But only Super Power saw the tear that fell from the woman’s eyes.

The woman stood, took the girls hand and looked at Super Power.

Permission to disembark?” The woman asked

“Permission granted” Smiled Super Power in reply

The woman looked down at the eager smiling child, still holding her hand with excitement.

Are you ready?

“You bet!

Then hold on tight. Here….we…..go!

The woman raised her staff in the air. There was a bright flash of lightning, a clap of thunder and when it cleared, both the woman and the girl were gone. But the woman’s presence continued to linger.

“Celtic is turning out to be one hell of a leader you know” Smiled the Commanderette after everyone had dispersed, leaving the small group alone in the hallway. They gathered around Super Power to look at the envelope Celtic Frost had handed to her.

Looking down at the envelope, everyone’s eyes opened wide in surprise as they saw the return address

Shriners Children’s Hospital
Terminal Burn Unit
51 Blossom Street
Boston, MA 02114

“Yes. She certainly is” Whispered Super Power softly.

The silent agreement from the rest of the assembled group that followed spoke volumes

End of Chapter 1

Coming soon Chapter 2: Through the Fires of Hell
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: