Who's Online
NEW @ DCUO Forums

SaturdaySundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFriday
B'Day - SunGoddess
B'Day - Alexis Allura
League NewsFeed Icon

No News Is Currently Available

Poll Widget
No poll is currently assigned to this widget.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background
View previous topic :: View next topic  
filament fish

re: Filament's Day (story)

Filament’s Day

It’s quiet. The rain hitting the asphalt is the loudest sound today. Unusual for a Sunday afternoon in Metropolis Chinatown.

Filament walks at a leisurely pace, with an absent-minded half-smile, under the umbrella that she is not holding. Next to her is her best friend, Claire Zhang, scowling.

“You could have at least tried,” says Claire, breaking several minutes of silence.

“I hope I closed my windows before I left!” exclaims Filament.

“Fil! I hate it when you do this.”

Filament stops abruptly. Claire and her umbrella overstep a little. Rain drizzles onto Filament’s jacket and purse.

“What do you want from me Claire? I went to the doctor like you asked me to.”

“You didn’t even try,” Claire repeats. “Dr. Wallace is the best psychologist I know, and all you gave him was your weird dream story about space and stars and fire whatever. Don’t you want to know who you are? Who your family is?”

Filament sighs. “Claire, I told you that’s what I saw. Besides, I’m not even sure this hypnosis stuff is for real. Why are you so interested in my past anyway? Let’s just forget it.”

Claire jabs a finger at Filament, begins to say something, and then apparently thinks better of it. “Okay. Let’s go home.”

---

Claire sits on the bed in Filament’s tiny studio apartment, sipping a beer. She points at the pink sheets and pillows.

“I’m surprised these aren’t blue and yellow like everything else,” says Claire.

“Don’t be silly,” Filament replies while rearranging some of her things, smiling and rolling her eyes at the same time.

Claire gestures at the dolls, the hair supplies, posters, and boxes of cereal. All blue and yellow. All with his face. “You really have to take this stuff down. How long has it been since you’ve seen him?”

Filament exclaims triumphantly, “I just saw him yesterday!”

“Okay. How long has it been since he’s seen you? He’s not your boyfriend hon. You only went out, what, twice? And he’s not talked to you for months.”

Filament stops, turns around, clutching the things she was rearranging. At the moment it’s a hair brush and a little candle holder in the shape of Skeets. Her hands drop to her side, still holding the brush and Skeets. She begins sobbing, much as a child would, and lets out an almost comical ‘waaaaa’ sound as she begins to cry a river of tears.

For the second time today, Claire begins to say something, then pauses. She walks over to Filament and hugs her gently. “I’m sorry Fil. It’s okay, don’t worry.” She jumps back, startled, as Filament suddenly exclaims, “I’m so excited about baking tonight Claire! Let’s get started!” She is grinning widely, eyes wide. There is no trace of tears anywhere.

Claire blinks, then shrugs to herself, letting out a little sigh. “Okay Fil. Let’s get the ingredients out.”

---

A thousand years ago:

There is a point of light, in the void of space. This light – like millions of others in the universe – burns with unimaginable energy. This light – like millions of others in the universe – is thousands of times the size of our Earth. This light however, unlike most others – thinks to itself.

This is it.

It thinks to itself – that it will think no longer.

This is death.

It is wrong.

Seen from Earth of this time, this insignificant speck in the sky would seem as though it wavered slightly, became bright, and then disappeared. Noticed perhaps by a shepherd here and there, watching the night skies more out of boredom than anything else.

A tiny fragment of the star is marveled by its survival. It watches as millions of its other pieces fly out from what it expected was its death, the great explosion, and for these pieces it is death. They flicker and fade out.

But not this piece. It no longer has any idea what its purpose is, but it is not death. It does what it knows how to do second best – it waits.

---

Two years ago:

The girl stops from her fruitless search through the alley for scraps for food, as she sees a blindingly bright something heading straight for her from the sky. It is so bright. Like staring right into a lightbulb filament up close. Somewhat insignificant thoughts for the end of her old life as she knew it, as the light collides with her and changes them both forever.

The End.

Last edited by filament fish on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Trinity

That's a good story. I love stories with lots of dialogue! I felt like I was in the rain and the apt right there with you!

EDIT: and I love your Avatar, and all of your art, its so cute.
Psylinke
New Girl

Filament deserves better than Booster Gold. Everyone mistakes him for Green Lantern anyways. twisted

I like a story that leaves some questions... like, why did Filament have such a strange change of mood suddenly? Is the star fragment still sentient, or is it "bonded" with Filament? What do we really know about Claire and the doctor she recommended?

(ponders)
filament fish

Thanks girls! Means a lot to me. Trinity - that's how I like to write, to put the reader in the scene. I'm glad you like my art. Psy - great questions! envy
-fil
Crystia0582

From an aspiring English Teacher and someone who has seen alot of mediocre writing, I have to say I really enjoyed reading this. You have a good grasp on using description and dialogue (which IMO is the hardest part of writing a good story)
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: