DCUO Announcements
NEW @ DCUO Forums

SaturdaySundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFriday
B'Day - SunGoddess
B'Day - Alexis Allura
League NewsFeed Icon

No News Is Currently Available

Poll Widget
No poll is currently assigned to this widget.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
White Paw

re: WTF's wrong with Jan-El?

I won't waste your time with the flowery narrative. Just a list of things that might smooth things over (help y'all not take it so #### personal):

-For all you Trekkies out there: think “Romulan in a Kryptonian’s body” about Jan-El and everything falls into place: crisply cold and calculating shell with a confidently passionate core that you’ll likely never see until it’s too late.

-I'm sick and tired of Kara/Supergirl/Powergirl clones, but I'm quite the Kryptonophile so.... Jan-El's a clone of Ursa instead. It started as a satirical move but I’m REALLY starting to like the whole bad-###-girl at the tea party angle.

-WTF is an Ursa clone doing on the hero side? Well, Superman’s her mentor, but really more like a parole officer. She’s seen Luthor’s organization and decided Superman’s was the kinder of two masters…for now. Her favorite pastime is after all beating the #### out of the local flora and fauna, lording her powers over them, and generally being a priss. The cops, army, and science police still show up, but with the “S” on her chest they generally stay out of her way and mop up for her like good public servants should. In short, being a heroine simplifies the theatrical ambiance tremendously. She still gets to beat people up, and people don’t begrudge fearing her quite so much.

-She was cloned by Luthor for Dr. Mindbender in payment for Mindbender's services with Supergirl. She was designed and programmed to be Mindbender's personal plaything, a fact she quickly overcame and came to deeply resent. She therefore has extreme allergies to any kind of authority and persons attempting to ERP with her will be given no warning and shown no mercy (she actually enjoys the Mindbender mish. He’s her favorite person to prejudicially annihilate).

-She started wearing glasses to mock Kal, but quickly fell in love with her hot-for-teacher look, so she’s rarely without them anymore. She’s not shy at all about being sexy and quite well trained in the art, but in the end it’s just another weapon to her or at best just another reason for humans to worship her. She loves being stared at but has ripped plenty of men’s arms off for trying to touch their goddess.

-She's not actually Ursa herself, but she definitely retains all the bad-girl qualities and personality of her (as we say in the metal casting world) "pattern" (clones don't really have parents). All her Kryptonian powers went straight to her head making her one big ball of narcissistic ego.

-She really only considers Kryptonians and “kwality” clones of Kryptonians as fellow “people” (anybody who might stand a snowflake’s chance in Tuscon of forcing her to do something). She’ll only initiate conversations with the “people” in the room. Everybody else to her is at best “talking fauna”, or if someone’s not talking: “flora”. The only thing preventing her from actually petting people is her somewhat insecure fear of appearing compassionate. On an ironic note she believes in pet training through positive reinforcement. She’ll often “good job” or “well done” a duo partner, but to her it’s the same thing as saying “good boy” to an obedient dog.

-She’s not fully baked yet. She acts and talks like she’s 40, but she’s really only 19. She knows she’s not the baddest Kryptonian on the block yet and is just biding her time until her powers fully mature. She therefore chooses the fights she picks very carefully…for now. (Until she’s fully geared up with T-3, then she’s going to be a deliciously serious pain in the ###).

-The official quick n’ easy guide to German accents:
-j’s are y’s like Spanish. ( ja is pronounced “ya!”)
-v’s are f’s and w’s are v’s (“folksvagon!”)
-z’s are “ts” ("This place has bekome a tsoo." hardly use that one)
-d’s and g's ending words are pronounced “t” (“This konfersation is endet, chilt.”)

And the stuff I made up:
-there are no c’s, only k’s and s’s (gives German a krisply Klingon aftertaste :P)
-Sometimes s's are buzzed into z's.
-She over-rolls her r's and sometimes l's when she's in a particularly catty mood ("Purrrrfect, dallllhlink") Somehow she can actually purr, but usually only does when she's being particularly bad and needs a spankink (lotsa luck with THAT buddy, I'll be cowering under the desk if you need anything).
Plastic DCUO
Star

Well, I still love her. I think she's a sweet heart under a rock-hard exterior.

I don't blame her for disliking Erp..., Mindbender's a creep whom I've wanted to annihilate on both sides of the fence.
filament fish

Jan, this is all okay, but as I said on another post, in /league I'm not particularly sure who's IC or OOC, and that's a particularly fine point when you're RPing a harsh personality.
-fil
fatenabu1

Love the storyline Happy I really do and it is a good angle to play Happy

Dustin
White Paw

filament fish wrote:
Jan, this is all okay, but as I said on another post, in /league I'm not particularly sure who's IC or OOC, and that's a particularly fine point when you're RPing a harsh personality.
-fil

I'm a long-time veteran of CoX and CO. My usual CoX Paragon City crew knew each other well enough to be able to shift IC/OOC seamlessly, sometimes mid-sentence, and we just...knew. It was the age of seamless communication awesomeness (we all typed pretty fast too).

Later in Millennium City on CO an influx of WoW RP weenies stamped their "double bracket" culture on the entire town. We were all forced to adapt to IC this and ((ooc this)), and the world, in my opinion, got a lot stupider. This was even before the F2P lemming hoard arrived and started eating away everybody's RP brains like a swarm of furry cliff-diving locusts. Reasons why I left CO? I....forget.

Anywho, I'm quite (( OOC punctuation )) trained now. I'll try to be a lil' less sloppy about it.

"Yet yearn for the pines of Norway"--Irving Stone, Men to Match my Mountains.
filament fish

I'm not a veteran anything online which I suppose is where the disconnect comes in.
White Paw

Plastic DCUO wrote:
Well, I still love her. I think she's a sweet heart under a rock-hard exterior.

I don't blame her for disliking Erp..., Mindbender's a creep whom I've wanted to annihilate on both sides of the fence.

Aw, thanks. And yes, to the right non-moron, Jan's quite the lap-napping cuddly kitten. Ok, that's an utter boldface lie. Affectionate yes, but Jan's bad-###-girl to the core. She beats main battle tanks to scrap iron with her bare hands, giggling the whole time for cryin' out loud! Her kind of lovin' is going to hurt someone someday...a lot. Forgoing the family-unfriendly details: think less "medical insurance" and more "FEMA" (Federal Emergency Management Administration).

All that adds up to is Jan's going to be blazingly jealous of any kind of affectionate relationship she sees...because she's never had any, and knows she can't (ala' Rogue?). But she knows if she ever got involved with someone like that her heroine license would soon be revoked.

So in summary: she's not a man hater, quite the opposite (although she detests morons, which men tend to be around women as hot as she is). She's just....complicated.

"ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!!!.....<little tiny living space>"--Robin Williams, Genie of Aladdin's Lamp
White Paw

filament fish wrote:
I'm not a veteran anything online which I suppose is where the disconnect comes in.

Ah it's cool, and shouldn't be a handicap. Welcome to the wonderful world of having no real social li--er...internet MMO gaming!

Just know that Jan speaks plainly...(( and I speak a lil' more...."punctual" ;) ))
<rolls eyes/> ((<groan/>)) And Jan and I both e-mote inside XML-style tags :P
Simple enough? <snicker>

And I haven't even gone over any of the dance steps yet!

Just read us nice n' slow...and usually twice. We rarely make an in-game typo. I and/or Jan usually mean exactly what we said (and nothing we didn't exactly say).

For example no, "lickwise" for "likewise" is not a typo or a Freudian slip. That's usually exactly what she meant to say. And I usually stop it there before she breaks the leash.

Usually.

TTFN.
Supergirly
Star

I like to think that Kara and Jan and even Rider have a very interesting relationship. Kara is not a CLONE! As she will tell anyone, but it is funny having her try to prove it to Ursa...um Jan Happy

I love having someone that keeps Kara on her toes and is not always nice to her. It will thicken her skin a little and she is like little miss drama with all of her issues happening all the time. Having Jan and Rider, to an extent, taunt her make her learn more, faster.

Oh I am sure that at one point, Kara might try to deck Jan, but we will see how that turns out....haha. Anyways, I just thought I had to let you know I like how you RP her. Happy

- Kara
Crystia0582

Playing an asshole character well takes a good player. I've only known a few people who can pull it off without completely alienating everyone around them. I think you do a fine job of the RP.

I'm not always IC (that should be evident by my comments I think) But then I never created my character with RP in mind, and I don't view this as a game to RP on, but that opinion is slowly changing as I hang out with the rest of the league.
White Paw

Supergirly wrote:
I like to think that Kara and Jan and even Rider have a very interesting relationship. Kara is not a CLONE! As she will tell anyone, but it is funny having her try to prove it to Ursa...um Jan Happy

I love having someone that keeps Kara on her toes and is not always nice to her. It will thicken her skin a little and she is like little miss drama with all of her issues happening all the time. Having Jan and Rider, to an extent, taunt her make her learn more, faster.

Oh I am sure that at one point, Kara might try to deck Jan, but we will see how that turns out....haha. Anyways, I just thought I had to let you know I like how you RP her. Happy

- Kara

Explain to Jan this: if you're not a clone, then what's the real, trademarked/voice-acted Supergirl doing standing around 24 hours a day hocking Tier-3 Meta armor on the Watchtower? And what's with that whole hospital/Dr. Mindbender mission business? Seems to Jan (and I) that claiming to be "the real Supergirl" is akin to claiming to be the real Santa Claus.

You're obviously just another clone...in profoundly delusional denial.

(But I'm relieved to hear Jan's deriding Kara is being taken in good fun. There are moments I'm sure Jan's riding the edge of being excommunicated from the league :P)

Speaking of neurotic denial, consider that thus far Jan's only definition of what "love" means is a programmed script written somewhere between Lex Luthor and Dr. Mindbender. She equates the word to weakness, submission, humiliation, and slavery.

...and could probably use a counterexample...

...if someone ever had the resilience to get past her fists...

Jan has actually become awkwardly enamored with the lil' blonde airhead. Thus far she's offered to avenge any harmed hair on Kara's head. But that was mostly out of loyalty to the league...or so she tells herself. Jan also finds herself wrapped up in lengthy and pointless picnics in Africa at the behest of said blonde. Curiosity?....nothing more.

Well, after all...thus far the lil' blonde is the only actual "person" in the league (see above for Jan's definition of "person"). Bound to be bothersome.

Just thoughts, nothing more.
White Paw

Crystia0582 wrote:
Playing an asshole character well takes a good player. I've only known a few people who can pull it off without completely alienating everyone around them. I think you do a fine job of the RP.

I'm not always IC (that should be evident by my comments I think) But then I never created my character with RP in mind, and I don't view this as a game to RP on, but that opinion is slowly changing as I hang out with the rest of the league.

I try to keep the ass-ness strictly tongue-and-cheek <cough>. Not always received that way but I assure you I'm grinnin' ear-to-ear the whole time back here, if not outright laughing at the absurdity that is Jan.

There's more than a lil' William Shatner in her Baroness-does-Klingon-impressions-in-a-bikini.

The game is what we make of it. It is but Sony's sandbox for us to build our castles in (mind the programming poo). Granted the text interface is like running in a 3-legged race tied to a 3-toed sloth. But with a lil' patience: live performance art :P
Plastic DCUO
Star

I don't get it. Maybe it's because my social life sucks like a black hole, but I find her to be a strong, but nice person. I sense that deep down, she is a caring person whose company I enjoy, in those fleeting moment I get to hang out with her.

I have never been offended by her or made to feel bad. Heck, I had the uncontrollable desire to *Huggle* her the moment we met! She's a sweetie!

Tara on the other hand... ;)

<3
fatenabu1

I really like Jan-El, its fun to watch her interact with everyone else and watch everyone else interact with her. I love the story you have for her as well Happy

Dustin

Kyrss Moonsong
Obsidia Pink

Jinniah takes Jan in stride, as she does all corporeal beings. Studying and learning the strange new world she suddenly finds herself in. I'd be happy to do some more RP with you or anyone else in the league. It seems that there's so much going on it's hard to hop in mid-stream.

As for my RP style, as you can tell I don't do much RP in league chat, I barely use the (( )) to speak. Partly because we are not a "Heavy RP" League, we're light to medium. Which the Boss has said in recruitment shouts. And Partly because, I tend to RP in discrete sessions. I guess you could say almost like an alert. Go to a place, have fun and RP, then when it's done go off and do something else.

I didn't do much RP in MMOs until CO... I did have online relationships prior, but it was myself and my partner. It wasn't until I joined a Furry Super Group and created Jinniah that I did character building. I have a goodly amount of pen and paper RP experience but learning the MMO RP culture was a bit daunting. I didn't know all the rules and had some random person that I tried to RP with laugh in my face /say so everyone around could hear. That put me off RPing for a while and permanently off RPing with random strangers. You'll never see me RPing in the park unless it's part of a storyline with you girls. Though I do love spending time creating stories with you. Thank you for the little bit of RP I've had recently. I really enjoyed it.

-Katherine Hepburn
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JusticeGirlsDC Forum Index -> Stories/Background All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: