B'Day - wyld Kard
B'Day - Biomis
B'Day - Raarsi
B'Day - Psylinke
B'Day - Navigator333
League NewsFeed Icon

No News Is Currently Available

Poll Widget
No poll is currently assigned to this widget.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scarlet Morrigan
Scarlet Morrigan
Star

re: Scarlet Morrigan’s Guide to being a bunny (controller)

Updated on 1/12/2014.

Scarlet Morrigan’s Guide to being a bunny (controller)

First, let me say that I do not claim to be an expert at DCUO. I have been playing since day one and always as a support role (controllers and healers). I also have toons for each power set so I know how they work. This is not going to tell you what your load out should be, but it will cover the basics. Everyone has different styles of play so find what works for you. This is intended for those who are new to the Bunny role, not to be an in-depth discussion/debate from a bunch of T4 wearing CR90+ SP95+ know it alls. (Now if I made a big mistake in here, please let me know so I can correct it.)

Here is what I think is common for all Controllers:

First, you must have a Power Over Time (PoT) power in your loadout.

NOTE: If you are in a Raid, the bunny with the higher Vit stat will handle the PoT. If you are the second bunny, do NOT hit your PoT power because it will override the higher Vit of the main bunny. HOWEVER you must have it in your loadout in case the main bunny dies.

Second, you must have a Burst Power Restore in your loadout.

Third, you should have a “reduces damage output/removes damage buffs” power in your loadout. This is a debuff power. It reduces the amount of damage your team takes.

Fourth, you should have a “reduce enemy defenses” power in your loadout. This is a debuff power that is poorly named. It will actually boost the damage your team does, thus making your enemies defenses seem reduced.

Fifth, I believe you should have “Word of Power” from the iconic power OR “Speed Drain” if you are a speedster. Both of these are Supercharge Powers, there are some supercharge powers in the different trees.

Lastly, Agro Dump powers can come in handy. It is great if you need to rez a fallen teammate or if you have pulled more agro than you can handle. These are always Usable While Controlled. Sometimes I run with one, but not usually.

However, if you are going to be doing a bunch of PvP, you will want a “Reduce’s ability to heal” power

I would also suggest that any Bunny have the Wisdom of Solomon innate power from the Iconic tree as well.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Now, because I was recently asked about Gadget powers, I am gonna cover that first.

First, the PoT powers are Taser Pull and Sticky Bomb. You will only need 1 PoT power in your hotbar. They do not stack, so you don’t really need 2. When you cast a PoT power in troller mode, a lightning bolt will appear under your name. It will last for about 20-25 seconds and then you must recast it. I prefer Sticky Bomb cause it will hit up to 3 targets. But I often run with Taser Pull if I know there is going to be something I want to pull out of the air like the healers bots in Prime.

Second, the Burst Power Restore in Gadgets is called Defibrillator. It does not matter if you are the only bunny in an alert or the main or bunny #2 in a raid, I would say you will hit this about every 8 seconds (based on the power levels in your group). As a #2 bunny in a raid, it will help guarantee the main bunny has power for PoT.

Third, the powers for “Reduce Damage Output” are Sleep Dart and Vortex Cannon. You only need one in your loadout. If you have enough DOMINACE, Sleep Darts will put your target to sleep & targets that are asleep don’t do any damage. What I don’t like about Vortex Cannon is a limited range.

Fourth, the powers for “Reduce Enemy Defenses” are Gauss Grenade and Stasis Field. You only need one in your loadout. Gauss Grenade has an electric power interaction so if you are running with an Electric DPS it can help. Stasis Field has a crush power interaction, so running with an Earth toon helps. I usually run with Gauss Grenade because I like the ranged attacks.

The Fifth one was listed above. I use these as “Oh Crap, everyone is out of power” button or in Big Boss fights. You only need one in your loadout. You could use the Supercharge Battle Drone from the Traps tree but it is a PoT not quick boost power restore.

Lastly, Distract is the agro dump power.

If you into PvP, the powers are Napalm Grenade and Cryo-foam will keep your enemy from being healed or having power restored. You only need one in your loadout if you are trolling for PvP. I prefer Napalm Grenade because of the range.

IF you are the only bunny in a group, your job is to restore power. You will basically hit your PoT, and then spam your Burst Restore power. IF there are 2 bunnies in the group, and you are the main bunny will hit your PoT, and then spam your Burst Restore power. IF you are Bunny #2, you will use your debuff powers and then spam your Burst Restore power. IF you are worried about how much damage you are doing, you are worried about the wrong thing. Making sure your team has the power to do their jobs is your job.

Which powers you pick are up to you and your style of play. For me personally, I try to stay out of the middle of the fight. I will let the tank and dps-ers do that. Since I don’t PvP, my loadout would look like this:
1 – Sticky Bomb
2 – Defibrillator
3 – Vortex Cannon
4 – Gauss Grenade
5 – Suppressor Turret (because it does damage and helps with Fire, Ice and Electric powers)
6 – Word of Power

I would pick all powers I can use at a distance so I can stay out of the melee.

Once again, these are just my thoughts and may not work for everyone. I do believe that my basic ideas are good. I will post one for Mental and one for Light soon. If you have any questions, drop me an in-game email or ask me when you see any one of the Scarlets online.
[/i]

Last edited by Scarlet Morrigan on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Riddlers Daughter
Riddlers Daughter
Star

Great Job! I enjoyed reading it. Wanting to PvE Bunny I found it very helpful and easy to read. Please do more about other bunny power types and maybe the Healer power types too! I will looking out for your future post.
Thank You,
Riddler's Daughter

Star

re: Scarlet talks about being Mental :)

Mental

Now let’s talk about Mental. Make sure you have read my thoughts on Gadgets to understand how and when to use each type of power.

First, the PoT powers are Telekinesis and Terror Tendrils. I prefer Terror Tendrils because I don’t like the way Telekinesis can cause your target to get thrown around the room. Terror Tendrils hits multiple targets.

Second, the Burst Power Restore in Mental is called Psychic Empowerment.

Third, the powers for “Reduce Damage Output” are Cryokinesis and Terrorize . Cryokinesis has an Ice power interaction so it is popular but I normally run with Terrorize because it inflicts Terror which most of my powers are based.

Fourth, the powers for “Reduce Enemy Defenses” are Thought Bubble and Phantom Flames. Thought Bubble has a crush effect so it interacts with Earth powers and hits 2 targets. Once again I run with Phantom Flames because of the Terror interaction and the Burning power interaction.

The Fifth one was listed above. I use these as “Oh Crap, everyone is out of power” button or in Big Boss fights. You only need one in your loadout. You could use the Supercharge Bastion from the Telekinesis tree but it is a PoT and shield not quick boost power restore.

Lastly, Grandeur is the agro dump power.

If you wanna PvP, the powers are Pyrokinesis and Horrific Visage will keep your enemy from being healed or having power restored. Pyrokinesis has a burning interaction so running with a Fire toon will come in handy. Horrific Visage can just be fun to use.

This is what my loadout looks like (I don’t pvp):
1 – Mass Terror
2 – Terror Tendrils
3 – Psychic Empowerment
4 – Terrorize
5 – Phantom Flames
6 – Speed Drain (Cause I am a speedster)

I would pick all powers I can use at a distance so I can stay out of the melee.

Once again, these are just my thoughts and may not work for everyone. I do believe that my basic ideas are good. Light coming soon. If you have any questions, drop me an in-game email or ask me when you see any one of the Scarlets online.

Last edited by Scarlet Morrigan on Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scarlet Morrigan
Scarlet Morrigan
Star

re: Scarlet Macha on Light Bunnies

Light

Finally here is Light. Light is not one of my favorite troller powers because so much of it is melee. Make sure you have read my thoughts on Gadgets to understand how and when to use each type of power.

HUGE NOTE: The trick to using Light powers for DPS is learning to combo from one power into the next (which is not the purpose of this post) and this takes Practice. You must spend time picking your powers so that you can combo and practice your combos. I do not play Scarlet Macha enough to be really good at this, but I can do a few combos. Good Light DPSer use very little power because they combo everything and BAD light DPSer burn through power like nobody’s business.

First, the PoT powers are Boxing and Light Claws. Both of these powers make me nervous because they are melee. I just make sure I attack an add and not the boss.

Second, the Burst Power Restore is called Recharge.

Third, the powers for “Reduce Damage Output” are Grasping Hand and Light Weight. Once again, I am not a fan of Light Weight because it is a melee attack. Grasping Hand has a crushing effect so it works will with an Earth toon. I also like it because it is ranged.

Fourth, the powers for “Reduce Enemy Defenses” are Entrap and Whip Thrash. Entrap is kind of fun because it puts enemies in a baseball construct and then gives you a bat construct to hit it with. It also has a crush effect to team with Earth toons. Whip Thrash is a popular melee power that has great combos out of it.

The Fifth one was listed above. I use these as “Oh Crap, everyone is out of power” button or in Big Boss fights. You only need one in your loadout. Group Shielding is a shield for the group that has a PoT. Once again, it is a PoT and not a burst restore like Word of Power or Speed Drain.

Lastly, Light Barrier is the agro dump that pops a shied bubble around you. This is one of the better Agro Dump powers because of the shield it provides.

For PvP, the powers are Light Blast and Snap Trap will keep your enemy from being healed or having power restored. I like Snap Trap because it is faster and uses less power.

This is what my loadout looks like:
1 – Chompers (just because it is an AOE and stuns)
2 – Light Claws (so I can combo to Ram and Mini Guns)
3 – Recharge
4 – Grasping Hand (so I can combo to Light Blast)
5 – Whip Thrash (so I can combo Impact)
6 – Word of Power

Once again, these are just my thoughts and may not work for everyone. I do believe that my basic ideas are good. If you have any questions, drop me an in-game email or ask me when you see any one of the Scarlets online.

Guess What: Quantum powers guide coming soon!

Last edited by Scarlet Morrigan on Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
OldLady
OlaLady
Star

Very detailed and easy to understand Scarlet! Thank you for your great post!
Panda Passion
New Girl

This is really wonderful, Scarlet. Silky is fun to play but very weak since I don't know what I'm doing. This should be very helpful.

Anyone else think the forum pic Riddler's Daughter uses looks like a super sexy Bond Girl from the 007 movies of the 1970's? Maybe it's the hair. I dunno, but it's awsome. Happy

Star Sprite (Electric)(JG)

DancingEmber (Fire)(JG)

Bashful Girl (Earth)(ebil)(JGD)

CheshireCharmer (Mental)(ebil)(JGD)

Silky Shine (Light) (Starlight Guardians)

Blushing Girl (Ice)

SilkyMoon (Nature)
Lisa Blue
New Girl

Good Guide Scarlet.. +1
Scarlet Morrigan
Scarlet Morrigan
Star

Quantum

Finally here is Quantum. This is a great Crowd Control power set. Make sure you have read my thoughts on Gadgets for an overview to being a Controller and to understand how and when to use each type of power. I prefer the Space tree for Controller duty because of the power interactions but as always play what you like.

First, the PoT powers are Tachyon Burst and Gravitonic Field. I prefer Tachyon Burst because it hits multiple targets.

Second, the Burst Power Restore is called Temporal Extortion.

Third, the powers for “Reduce Damage Output” are Warp Barrage and Alcubierre Wave. Warp Barrage is a ranged attack with several small explosions. Alcubierre Wave is a cool power that picks enemies behind you and throws them in front of you. IT comes in handy if you get surrounded OR if you want to move adds around.

Fourth, the powers for “Reduce Enemy Defenses” are Singularity and Time Bomb. Time Bomb is a slow moving bomb. The Buff starts at the moment of cast. I like the quick cast and range on Singularity.

The Fifth one should be Word of Power (from Iconic Powes), Speed Drain (for speedsters) or Event Horizon. I use these as “Oh Crap, everyone is out of power” button or in Big Boss fights. You only need one in your loadout. Event Horizon is a shield for the group that has a PoT. Once again, it is a PoT and not a burst restore like Word of Power or Speed Drain.

Lastly, Quantum Tunneling is the agro dump.This transports you ahead. This is great to get to the other side of the map to rez a fallen teammate. This is one of the coolest Agro Dump powers because of the teleport ability.

For PvP, the powers are Anomaly and Gravity Bomb will keep your enemy from being healed or having power restored. Anomaly uses less power but is slow to cast and can be interrupted. I like Gravity Bomb because of the quick cast time and

This is what my loadout looks like:
1 – Quantum Tunneling (just because I can get to dead teammates faster. I use Gravity Bomb here for PvP)
2 – Gravitonic Field (for PoT)
3 – Temporal Extortion
4 – Singularity
5 – Alcubierre Wave
6 – Event Horizon

Once again, these are just my thoughts and may not work for everyone. I do believe that my basic ideas are good. If you have any questions, drop me an in-game email or ask me when you see Scarlet Morrigan, Scarlet Maeve, Scarlet Macha, and SCARLETofGALLIFREY.

Star

Some finally thoughts about being a Bunny:

Mostly this is about being the second bunny in a raid group.

IF you are the only bunny in a group or alert, your job is to restore power. You will basically hit your PoT, and then spam your Burst Restore power. Repeat. Keep your team powered and you should be fine.

IF there are 2 bunnies in the group, and you are the main bunny will hit your PoT, and then spam your Burst Restore power. IF you are Bunny #2, you will use your debuff powers and then spam your Burst Restore power.

NOTE: If you are in a Raid, the bunny with the higher Vit stat will handle the PoT. If you are the second bunny, do NOT hit your PoT power because it will override the higher Vit of the main bunny. HOWEVER you must have it in your loadout in case the main bunny dies.

IF you are worried about how much damage you are doing, you are worried about the wrong thing. Just stop trying to be a bunny and switch to a dps. Making sure your team has the power to do their jobs is the job of a bunny. Doing crowd control is the second job. If you are a bunny and don’t have de-buffs in your loadout, then you should not be running as a bunny. If you spend your skill points on might or precision before vitalization, dominance, health or defense – go back to being a dps and stop being a bunny.

Being the second bunny in a raid is almost as big a job as being Bunny #1. This is how I do it. First I keep spamming my burst power restore. These are listed in the sections for each of the Controller Powers above. As a mental bunny, I use Phantom Flames a lot because it reduces enemy defenses and can hit groups of 2 or 3. In boss fights, I use Terrorize and then Phantom Flames to reduce the damage done by the boss and reduce the boss’s defense. As soon as they expire, I re-cast them. As you can see in my list above, I also have Mass Terror in my loadout. I use this in trash mobs because it is an AoE stun. And enemies who are stunned are not doing damage to your team and gives the DPSers time to do some damage.

Enemies with less defense die faster (which means your DPSers don’t have to work as hard) and do less damage to your team (which means your tank stays alive and your healers don’t have to work as hard). All that means your team use less power to do their jobs (so the bunnies don’t have to work as hard).

So what I am trying to say:
1)If you are the only bunny in a group or alert, you job is to restore power with PoT (which should always be running) and your Burst Power Restore.

2)If you are the bunny with the higher vit in a raid group – you are responsible for PoT and should spam Burst Power Restore.

3)If you are the second bunny in a raid group - you should spam Burst Power Restore and cast debuffs on mobs and the bosses.

Once again, I do not claim to be an expert at DCUO. I have been playing since day one and always as a support role (controllers and healers). I also have toons for each power set so I know how they work. This is not going to tell you what your load out should be, but this covers the basics. Everyone has different styles of play so find what works for you. These are just my thoughts and may not work for everyone. I do believe that my basic ideas are good. If you have any questions, drop me an in-game email or ask me when you see Scarlet Morrigan, Scarlet Maeve, Scarlet Macha, and SCARLETofGALLIFREY.

Thanks Scarlet! Great post Happy
Arwen Skywalker
Arwen Skywalker
Loyal

Protip(s):

As much as possible, even at an early stage, practice "Double-Tick".
At a certain period of time (3/4 way of a PoT cycle), you can refresh your Tick before the PoT cycle is over.

scaled example

Forum Image

as you can see, at 12 seconds and 21 seconds, you have the current tick and the refreshed tick, thus the term double-tick. Happy

You do not have to perfectly time this all the time, as what's happening in-game can throw you off the momentum, just start a new PoT cycle and get back in the rhythm.

*Juggle your trinks.
specially on long bosses.
I trolled a league-run Dox at 1860 vit along with another 1800 and we actually closed 2 tunnels ('til RL got me) seems low, but 45% of the time i was ticking 200+. 1st trink (from TP or whatever) start PoT, time double-ticks, as soon as it is deactivated, try to keep up with the group's power with your base vit and when you start doubting your power-out, juggle with the 2nd trink, rinse-repeat. (Maximize stat-boost trink usage, don't be shy, applies to all roles).

*For Gadgets.
Personal Suggestion only. Happy
I have used WoP like any other decent troller out there, though for the past few months I have been comparing it with the "Battle Drone". This personal choice doesn't really worry me the fact that the other troll will likely have a high chance of having WoP. Happy

WoP's purpose is to instantly refill the groups power WHEN, (i really don't know how to put much emphasis on WHEN so i'll just repeat it in all caps) WHEN! almost everybody's out of power (unless you're OP so you just WoP just to spoil the dps).
Which slightly bothers me, just the idea of "almost everybody's out of power".
Comes in the Battle Drone (Battle Drone's Power Over Time scales with Vitalization. Costs 35% SC)

First and foremost, 35% is small compared to WoP's 50%. So in a full SC charge you can get 3 activations (after the first activation you can easily make up the 5% in between).
Second this thing attacks, so let's say you have a turret + backup/sidekick + battledrone, bro, you just brought half da hood in this joint.
Third which is vital to trolling, you can almost eliminate the chance of having depleted power of the group. How? simple. you can either add this DURING or AFTER a trink juggle, your choice. Happy though i preferably call in the battle drone DURING a trink juggle, why? remember, Drone's Power Over Time scales with Vitalization. but pfft, you can call this three times anyway so, you have a good thing going on anyways. :D

anywho, you don't have to restrict yourself to anything :D if you think your loadout's fine AND fun, go ahead. :D

hope this helps btw. Happy

Jump to: